Roswell - New Evidence
Said Disproves Mortician
Dennis' Story
From Kal K. Korff <>
Following on the heels of Professor Charles Moore's thorough refutation and disproving of David Rudiak's attempts to deny that Project Mogul is THE explanation for Roswell, I am afraid I have some more "bad news" for those who still emotionally cling to an "ET explanation" for Roswell, despite the existence of no hard, credible evidence to support this hypothesis.
At any rate, I have received several requests concerning former Roswell mortician Glenn Dennis' story, and especially about a new Roswell expose that is coming out, exposing various claims by David Rudiak, Frank Kaufmann, Corso, Don Schmitt, etc.
While I do not know everything that is in this expose as of yet, and don't even have a completed copy, here is some text from the Glenn Dennis portion. This information, as far as I am aware, has been outright ignored by mainstream UFOlogy and certainly CUFOS, the Center for UFO Studies.
The information, by any reasonable criteria, is persuasive, and those who still endorse Glenn Dennis now have the burden of refuting it.
I should note that to the best of my knowledge, and much to his credit, Kevin Randle has withdrawn his endorsement of Glenn Dennis. Perhaps he will do the same for Frank Kaufmann when that information comes out shortly as well.
This information is from a USAF report that as far as I know, HAS NEVER BEEN REVIEWED OR COMMENTED ON, at least this portion of it, on ANY of the main internet UFO-related web sites or publications.
If anyone knows anything different, please let me know. Either this fell through the cracks, per se, or the UFO field chose to ignore it, for whatever reasons. Perhaps it did not, and maybe I am just unaware that is has been addressed.
Can anyone cite a single reference on the web where this information was addressed?
It is my hope that CUFOS will now publish a retraction of their endorsements of Glenn Dennis' testimony, as well as other Roswell "witnesses" that they have promoted over the years, at the expense of the truth. I also hope that other pro-ET Roswell authors will also RETRACT their endorsements with just as much zeal and energy as they originally promoted them.
I doubt this will happen, though.
The pro-ET Roswell promoters _owe_ the public this, I believe, so that consumers do not continue to be MISLED and are informed of the latest information.
As this expose's implications make clear, the UFO field, CUFOS, etc., have a less than admirable track record of setting their own records straight. :-(
Maybe they have and I just missed it, but here's the data. It is now up to those who don't accept it, to disprove it.
Good luck.... :-)
The USAF Even Disproves Glenn Dennis
"Dennis recalled that the nurse was quickly and suspiciously shipped out either the same day or the day after he met with her in the Roswell AAF Officers, Club. If this allegation was true, it certainly seemed unusual and verifiable. Therefore, the morning reports, the certified daily personnel accounting records required to be kept by all Army Air Forces units at that time, were obtained and reviewed. These reports did not indicate that a nurse or any other person was reassigned on the days alleged, July 8 or July 9, 1947 (FN 40) The morning reports of the 427th Army Air Forces Base Unit (AAFBU) Squadron "M" the unit that all the medical personnel at Roswell AAF were assigned in July 1947, did not indicate a sudden overseas transfer of a nurse or any other person.
Records indicated that one nurse was reassigned on July 23, 1947, over two weeks after the purported events described by Dennis. (FN41) That nurse was transferred by normal personnel rotation procedures to Ft. Worth AAF (now Carswell AFB), Texas, where she remained on active duty until March 1949. (FN-42) In fact, Squadron "M" morning reports revealed the strength of the Army Nurse Corps (ANC) at Roswell AAF for July 1947 was only five nurses. Of these five nurses none were transferred overseas or killed in a plane crash -- the "rumored" fate of the missing nurse.(FN)
This review of the hospital morning reports also indicated that the name of the missing nurse provided by the witness (Glenn Dennis) was inaccurate. The witnesses (Dennis) stated in several interviews that he believed the nurse,s name was Naomi Maria Selff. (FN-44) A comprehensive search of morning reports and rosters from the Roswell AAF Station Hospital indicated that no person by this name, or similar name, had ever served there. This finding was supported by a search of personnel records at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Mo., a part of the National Archives and Records Administration. NPRC also did not find a record that a person named Naomi Maria Selff had ever served in any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.
These findings were consistent with previous efforts of several pro-UFO researchers (Kal Korff, Kevin Randle) who have also attempted to locate this nurse or members of her family. They, likewise, were also unable to confirm her existence. (FN-45) While some UFO theorists continue to allege that this absence of records regarding a nurse by this name is part of a conspiracy to withhold information, the most likely reason for the lack of records is that this name is inaccurate.
Even though the name of the nurse is incorrect, it appears that a nurse assigned to the Roswell AAF Station Hospital in 1947 may have been the basis for the claims. Eileen Mae Fanton was the only nurse of the five assigned to Roswell AAF in July 1947, whose personal circumstances and physical attributes not only resembled those of the missing nurse, but appeared to be nearly an exact match.
The "Missing Nurse?"
1st Lt. Eileen M. Fanton was assigned to the Roswell Army Air Field Station Hospital from December 26, 1946 until September 4, 1947. (FN-46) Fanton, who is deceased, was retired from the U.S. Air Force at the rank of Captain on April 30, 1955, for a physical disability.(FN-47)
In this account, the missing nurse is described as single, "real cute, like a small Audrey Hepburn, with short black hair, dark eyes and olive skin."(FN-48) Lieutenant Fanton was single in 1947, 5,1" tall, weighed 100 pounds, had black hair, dark eyes, and was of Italian descent. (FN-49) Dennis also stated that the nurse was of the Catholic faith, and had been "strictly raised" according to Catholic beliefs. (FN-50) Fanton,s personnel record listed her as Roman Catholic, a graduate of St. Catherine,s Academy in Springfield, Kentucky, and as having received her nursing certification from St. Mary Elizabeth,s Hospital in Louisville, Kentucky.(FN-51)
The witness also recalled that the "missing nurse" was a lieutenant, was a general nurse at the hospital, and had sent him correspondence at a later date which stated she was in London, England with a New York, N.Y. APO number (military overseas mailing address) as the return address.(FN-52) Records revealed that Fanton was a First Lieutenant (promoted from Second Lieutenant to First Lieutenant in June 1947), and she was classified as a "nurse. General duty."(FN-53) Records also indicated that of the five nurses assigned to the Roswell AAF Station Hospital in July 1947, she was the only one that later served a tour duty in England. Furthermore, she was assigned to the 7510th USAF Hospital, APO 240, New York, N.Y., where she served from June 1952 until April 1955.(FN-54) The 7510th USAF Hospital was located approximately 45 miles north of London at Wimpoole Park, Cambridge, England.
An additional similarity between Fanton and the "missing nurse" is that her personnel record indicated that she quickly departed Roswell AAF and it is probable that the hospital staff would not have provided information concerning her departure. Fanton,s unannounced departure from Roswell AAF, on September 4, 1947, was to be admitted to Brooke General Hospital, Ft. Sam Houston, Texas, for a medical condition.(FN-55) This condition was first diagnosed in January 1946 and ultimately led to her medical retirement in 1955.(FN-56) Therefore, if someone other than a family member contacted the Station Hospital at Roswell AAF and indeed inquired about Fanton, as Dennis stated he did, the staff was simply protecting her privacy as a patient. The staff was not participating in a sinister "cover-up" of information as alleged by UFO theorists.
The Pediatrician
In at least two interviews, the witness (Dennis) stated that a pediatrician stationed at the hospital was involved in the events he described. (FN-57) When asked by an interviewer how he knew the pediatrician was involved, Dennis was quoted as replying, "I know he was involved because I saw him there." (FN-58) Dennis is also quoted as saying that he and the pediatrician were "pretty good friends," and after the pediatrician left the military he (the pediatrician) set up a practice in Farmington, N.M. "I used to go fishing all the time up north and I visited him several times up there and he was involved," Dennis said. "I don,t remember his name, I think he is still practicing in Farmington."(FN-59)
A review of personnel files and interviews with former members of the Roswell AAF/Walker AFB hospital staff, revealed that only one physician ever relocated to Farmington, N.M. following his military service. The former Capt. Frank B. Nordstrom served at Walker AFB from June 1951 until June 1953.(FN-60) Records also revealed that Nordstrom was indeed a pediatrician and while at Walker AFB, served as the Chief of Pediatric Services.(FN-61) When Nordstrom, a resident of the small town of Aztec, New Mexico, was interviewed for this report, he stated that he did not recall ever meeting Dennis and could not recall any events that supported any of his claims (see signed sworn statement in Appendix B.)(FN-62)
Farmington (population 8,000 in 954) is located in the primarily rural Four Corners region of New Mexico approximately 300 miles northwest of Roswell. According to Nordstrom, Farmington did not have a pediatrician before his arrival in 1954. From 1954 until approximately 1970, Nordstrom believes he was the only pediatrician in the area. His recollections were confirmed by a local Farmington pharmacist, Charles E. Clouthier.(FN-63) Clouthier also served at the Walker AFB hospital, from 1955 to 1957, and following his military service returned to Farmington, his hometown, where he had lived since 1934. Clouthier has been employed by and co-owned a business, Farmington Drug, since 1957. He is familiar with most, if not all, of the doctors who practice in Farmington and the Four Corners region of New mexico. Clouthier,s confirmation that Nordstrom was the first pediatrician to practice in the Farmington area, was based on both his frequent professional contacts with the local physicians and his experiences as a longtime Farmington resident.(FN-64)
Although Nordstrom believed that he was the pediatrician described (by Glenn Dennis), he was at a loss to explain how Dennis gained information concerning his military and civilian employment history. In a signed sworn statement, Nordstrom stated that he did not recall ever meeting Dennis and had certainly never been visited by Dennis as he had claimed.
One possible source of the information is that from approximately 1958 until approximately 1961 Dennis operated a drugstore in Aztec, New Mexico, a small town near Farmington where Nordstrom resides. However, Nordstrom also did not recall any contact with Dennis in his capacity as a drugstore operator.
The "Big Redheaded Colonel" An indication that Dennis might have mistaken the date of actual events was that he was quoted in at least one book as having said that the officer who threatened him in the hospital was a big redheaded colonel.(FN-74) Research revealed that only one tall colonel with red hair was known to have been assigned to the Walker AFB hospital. Colonel Lee F. Ferrell was the hospital commander from October 1954 until June 1960. (FN-75) Ferrell was 6,1" tall and had red hair.(FN-76)
"Captain Slatts, Wilson" In at least two interviews Dennis repeatedly made reference to a nurse named "Captain Wilson."(FN-77) He recalled that "Captain Wilson", who he believed was the head nurse, was another nurse stationed at the Roswell AAF hospital in July 1947.(FN-78) Dennis claims he spoke to "Captain Wilson" several times in reference to the alleged missing nurse.(FN-79)
He claims that on the day after he met with the missing nurse at the Roswell AAF Officers, Club, he attempted to contact her by telephone at the hospital but was told that she wasn,t on duty.(FN-80) Instead, he spoke with "Captain Wilson." "I called the station I knew she [the missing nurse] always worked at," Dennis said, "She was a general nurseI was informed that she wasn,t working that day. [Dennis then telephoned] An old girl by the name of Wilson, Captain Wilson, and I asked her, what happened,? She said, Glen, I don,t know what happened, she,s not on duty., She said she,d try to get word to her [the missing nurse] that you [Dennis] want to talk to her."(FN-81) Later in the same interview Dennis further described Wilson. "We called her Slatts, Wilson who was a big tall nurse about six foot two or three - big tall skinny gal - and we called her Slatts, - everybody called her Slatts.,
She,s the one who told me she heard there was a plane crash and the nurses went down on a training mission.(FN-82)
The testimony appeared to clearly identify by name, rank, position, physical attributes and by a distinctive nickname, "Slatts," another nurse present at the hospital in July 1947. But a review of the morning reports of the Roswell AAF hospital for July 1947 did not contain the name of a nurse, or anyone else, named Wilson.(FN-83) The only female captain assigned to the Roswell AAF Hospital in July 1947 was the Chief Nurse Capt. Joyce Goddard.(FN-84) Goddard, who was 5,6" tall, was transferred from Roswell AAF to Korea on August 21, 1947.(FN-85)
Therefore, according to Dennis, recollection of events, this review of the morning reports indicated that there were two missing nurses, not one - personnel records of individuals assigned to the Roswell AAF/Walker AFB hospital indicated that Dennis, recollections of events were apparently inaccurate.
Examination of the August 1947 morning reports did not list a nurse named Wilson, but they did list a nurse named Slattery.(FN-86) Captain Lucille C. Slattery, who retired as a Lieutenant Colonel and is now deceased, was reassigned from Ft. Goerge Wright, Washington, to Roswell AAF on August 7, 1947.(FN-87)
Slattery replaced Goddard as the Chief Nurse and was the only female captain assigned to the Roswell AAF hospital. Interviews of persons with longtime professional and personal associations with Slattery, revealed that she was known by the unusual nickname of Slatts.(FN-88) Persons interviewed were Air Force nurses who retired in the 1960s, each with more than 20 years of service, including retired Air Force Colonel Ethel Kovatch-Scott, who served as Chief Nurse of the Air Force from 1963 to 1965.
Consequently, a comprehensive review of the morning reports and rosters of the Roswell AAF/Walker AFB hospital revealed that only one nurse named Wilson had ever served there and she did not arrive until February 1956.(FN-91) Captain Idabelle Miller, who became Major Idabelle Wilson in 1958 due to marriage and a promotion, was assigned to the Walker AFB hospital from February 1956 until May 1960.(FN-92)
Upon review of Major Wilson,s personnel file, it was learned that she was 5,9" tall and thin. Also, she served as the Head Nurse of the surgical ward at the Walker AFB hospital.(FN-93) Therefore, Wilson,s physical attributes, tall and thin, and position as Head Nurse matched Dennis, recollections of "captain Wilson." When contacted by Air Force researchers, Wilson stated she had no recollection of Dennis, of ever having conversations with him, any of the events he described, or of a nurse that was missing.(FN-94) She also made it abundantly clear that as an Air Force officer and medical professional she would not spread a rumor of a plane crash, as Dennis alleged "Captain Wilson" did in conversations with him.(FN-95)
Results of Missing Nurse and Pediatrician Research Examination of the missing nurse and the pediatrician stories, and other facts established by research, provide a foundation for further analysis to determine what actual event(s), if any, were responsible for these claims. Based on information developed, it appears this witness may be mistaken in some of his statements, especially regarding the time frame for these events. The following facts have been established:
a. The only physician who ever relocated to Farmington, N.M., following his military service at Roswell AAF/Walker AFB was the former Chief of Pediatric Services at the Walker AFB hospital, the former Capt. Frank B. Nordstrom. Further, he did not arrive at Walker AFB until June 1951, four years after the purported Roswell Incident, has no recollection of Dennis, the statements Dennis attributes to him, or of any actual events that explain his (Dennis,) account.
b. The only nurse ever assigned to the Roswell AAF hospital (subsequently renamed Walker AFB) named Wilson, was Idabelle Wilson. She served at the Walker AFB hospital from 1956 until 1960 and had no recollection of ever meeting or speaking with Dennis or any of the activities he described.
c. Captain Lucille C. Slattery, the only Air Force nurse ever known by the distinctive nickname "Slatts," was stationed at the Roswell AAF hospital. However, she did not arrive until August 7, 1947. This was one month after the Roswell Incident, making it improbable that Dennis spoke with her in early July 1947.
d. There is no record that a nurse named Naomi Maria Selff, was ever assigned to Roswell AAF, Walker AFB, or was ever a member of the U.S. military.
e. All nurses assigned to the Roswell AAF hospital in July 1947 have been accounted for, thereby eliminating any possibility that there was ever a missing nurse.