- In the ongoing Phoenix, Arizona federal lawsuit, Citizens
Against UFO Secrecy (CAUS) vs. the Department of Defense (DoD), Judge Stephen
M. McNamee had directed that the DoD provide CAUS with the details of its
search for information about a football field-sized triangular aerial object
that has been seen by thousands of witnesses for the past twenty years.
- On March 17th, the DoD provided that information, submitting
three affidavits detailing its search within the Joint Chiefs of Staff
(JCS) and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), two of
the three components searched within the DoD for the requested information.
- Though the Department of Defense had previously stated
that they conducted a computerized search of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
using "unique identifiers and keywords," the affidavits submitted
on Friday referred to the ordinary terms of "UFO, unidentified flying
object, spacecraft, alien craft, and flying saucer" as well as some
innocuous terms as "big, large, hover, soundless, corner and underneath."
- "Not only was the DoD search inadequate and unreasonable,
it was a sham. No wonder they conveniently omitted these terms in their
original affidavits" declared Peter A. Gersten, attorney and Executive
Director for Citizens Against UFO Secrecy, the UFO activist group known
for its use of the Freedom of Information Act in its pursuit to end all
secrecy surrounding these enigmatic craft. "This is proof that the
DoD treated the CAUS request as a typical request for UFO information and
did not take it seriously."
- Even the e-mails sent to the 200 employees of DARPA,
Gersten found lacking. "Though the e-mails did include the description
of the craft, it did not include either the sketches nor the photo that
were also included in the original CAUS request. Instead each employee
was told that the photo and sketches were available 'if you need to see
them'" stated Gersten. "It is very difficult for me to believe
that not one past or present DARPA project even resembled the object described."
- None of the responses from DARPA employees were included
with the latest affidavits. There was also no mention of the procedure
used to search the Defense & Space Operations Division, the third component
- Gersten told P3N that he intends to file a response to
the new affidavits asking Judge McNamee to deny the Department of Defense's
Motion for Summary Judgment. "It is obvious that there are several
issues that still should be decided. To dismiss this lawsuit now, knowing
that no reasonable search was ever done, would be an injustice and an insult
to the spirit and intent of the Freedom of Information Act as well as all
the people who are seeking the truth about these strange objects in our
- Gersten will also be asking for another court appearance
to argue his latest objections.
- SIGHTINGS HOMEPAGE
Site Served by TheHostPros