- President Museveni of Uganda has ordered that
in Uganda be arrested and charged, a state-owned newspaper
- "I have told the Criminal Investigations Department
look for homosexuals, lock them up and charge them," the New Vision
quoted the president as saying.
- His comments came at the opening of a meeting on
- "God created Adam and Eve," he said. "I
did not see God creating man and man."
- President Museveni's comments
come two weeks after the
widely reported gay marriage of two men in the
- Poll rejects homosexuality
- Under Ugandan law, homosexuals
can be charged with "carnal
knowledge of another against the order
- Conviction can lead to life imprisonment.
- A poll published in the New
Vision before the president
spoke said that 84% of Kampala residents
did not want homosexuality legalised.
- The paper said it canvassed 505
male and female people
of all ages and educational standards.
- The idea that
homosexuality is an imported western practice
"un-African" finds echoes in comments made by
President Robert Mugabe.
- Mr Mugabe once described homosexuals as "worse than
pigs and dogs".