- BELGRADE- Branislav Andjelic, the webmaster of www.beograd.com,one of
the Internet's most popular sites since the start of NATO's war on Serb
civilians on March 24 (with nearly two million "hits" a day),
offered the following commentary, modeled after the Star Trek line - "you
will be assimilated:"
- "They are using their largest and
smartest bombs to destroy our schools and hospitals, our museums and ancient
monasteries, our heating plants and food factories, our bridges and dams.
- They shout for us to yield and let them
in: 'We are the United States. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.'
- At the end of the twentieth century
we live in a world where one country controls all the weapons, all the
money and all the media.
- It can maim and kill and starve populations
at will, and then, through the complacent media, deny fault.
- It can create kangaroo courts that selectively
prosecute those who oppose it, courts that issue secret indictments and
send armed troops into sovereign countries to kidnap and murder the accused.
- It can select with impunity which international
laws and agreements are politically expedient to adopt or honor, or which
- It decides which terrorist organization
should be bombed and which given money and arms; which mass expulsion
of populations to aid and which to label genocide; which economies to
support through loans and trade, and which to destroy through sanctions
and currency speculations.
- Its goal is to assimilate all the world's
cultures, all the world systems of value, all the world resources.
- War in Yugoslavia is nothing less then
the fight for the twenty first century. It will decide whether we are
going to live as drones with the consciousness of a hive controlled by
the Queen and enforced by NATO, or whether we are going to live as sovereign
peoples with distinct cultures, religions, languages, morals, and economic
- Yugoslavia is the moral conscience of
mankind. This small country, fully aware of the consequences, decided
that the line must be drawn. This far, no further.
- Bombs may turn us into rubble, but we
will not be assimilated. Resistance is not futile."