- TESTIMONY OF
- DARRELL SCOTT
- FATHER OF TWO VICTIMS
- OF COLUMBINE HIGH SCHOOL SHOOTING
- LITTLETON, COLORADO
- BEFORE THE SUBCOMMITTEE ON CRIME
- HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE
- UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
- THURSDAY, MAY 27,1999
- 2:00 P.M.
- 2141 RAYBURN HOUSE OFFICE BUILDING
- Since the dawn of creation, there has
been both good and evil in the heart of men and of women. We all contain
the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence.
- The death of my wonderful daughter Rachel
Joy Scott and the deaths of that heroic teacher and the other children
who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.
- The first recorded act of violence was
when Cain slew his brother Able in the field. The villain was not the
club he used. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The
true killer was Cain and the reason for the murder could only be found
in Cain's heart.
- In the days that followed the Columbine
tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups
such as the NRA.
- I am not a member of the NRA. I am not
a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend
the NRA because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's
death. Therefore, I do not believe they need to be defended. If I believed
they had anything to do with Rachel's murder, I would be their strongest
- I am here today to declare that Columbine
was not just a tragedy. It was a spiritual event that should be forcing
us to look at where the real blame lies!
- Much of that blame lies here in this
room. Much of that blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers
- I wrote a poem just four nights ago that
express my feelings best. This was written way before I knew I would be
speaking here today.
- Your laws ignore our deepest needs
- Your words are empty air.
- You've stripped away our heritage.
- You've outlawed simple prayer.
- Now gunshots fill our classrooms.
- And precious children die.
- You seek for answers everywhere.
- And ask the question "WHY"?
- You regulate restrictive laws.
- Through legislative creed.
- Add yet you fail to understand.
- That God is what we need!
- Men and women are three part beings.
We all consist of body, soul, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge
a third part of our makeup, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice,
and hatred to rush in and wreck havoc.
- Spiritual influences were present within
our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our
major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historic fact.
- What has happened to us as a nation?
We have refused to honor God, and in doing so, we open the doors to hatred
- And when something as terrible as Columbine's
tragedy occurs, politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the
NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that continue
to erode away our personal and private liberties.
- We do not need more restrictive laws.
Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount
of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre.
- The real villain lies within our OWN
hearts. Political posturing and restrictive legislation are not the answers.
- The young people of our nation hold the
key. There is a spiritual awakening taking place that will not be squelched.
- We do not need more religion. We do
not need more gaudy television evangelists spewing out verbal religious
garbage. We do not need more million dollar church buildings built while
people with basic needs are being ignored.
- We do need a change of heart and an humble
acknowledgment that this nation was founded on the principle of simple
trust in God.
- As my son Craig lay under that table
in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very
eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician
to deny him that right!
- I challenge every young person in America
and around the world to realize that on April 20, 1999 at Columbine High
School, prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers
offered by those students be in vain.
- Dare to move into the new millennium
with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your conscience and
denies your God-given right to communicate with Him.
- To those of you who would point your
finger at the NRA, I give to you a sincere challenge. Dare to examine
your own heart before you cast the first stone!
- My daughter's death will not be in vain.
The young people of this country will not allow that to happen.