- Subject: Roberts: The Lancet: eleven aspartame toxicity
- [Notes by Rich Murray firstname.lastname@example.org] Sun Sentinel
Press, P.O. Box 17799, West Palm Beach, Florida 33416 800-814-9800 Fax
407-832-2400 http://members.icanect.net/~sunpress/ email@example.com
- Dr. Roberts is on the Staff of Good Samaritan Hospital
and St. Mary's Hospital in West Palm Beach, Director of the Palm Beach
Institute for Medical Research (since 1964), and a member of many prestigious
medical and scientific organizations, such as the American College of Physicians,
The Endocrine Society and the American Academy of Neurology. His publications
include nine acclaimed texts and more than 220 original articles and letters.
Many deal with original researches on challenging metabolic and neurological
disorders. The Order of St. George knighted Dr. Roberts for his professionalism
and humanitarian efforts.]
- The Lancet Interactive dissussion group: Aspartame Toxicity:
fact or fiction? (By Dr. Roberts)
- Re: Aspartame toxicity From: firstname.lastname@example.org
Date Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:20:00 GMT
- I disagree with the assertion by Zehetner and McLean
(1) that concern about the adverse health effects of aspartame products
is "scientifically implausible", and largely represents anecdotal
information from "anonymous" sources. I am not anonymous.
- My opinion represents 15 years of corporate-neutral study
of aspartame disease in practice, consultation, and research (2-11), based
on over 1300 persons so afflicted. I now regard these products as a probably
imminent public health threat because of the serious neurologic, psychiatric,
metabolic, ocular, and allergic reactions encountered, coupled with apparent
fetotoxic and oncologic consequences. Specific examples are seizures (4),
headache (10), depression (2), severe confusion (9), loss of diabetes control
(5), the aggravation or simulation of diabetic complications (5) and multiple
sclerosis (6), gross weight loss or gain (3,8), accident proneness (11),
aspartame addiction, and the perceived causation/acceleration of Alzheimer's
disease (9) and brain tumors (7).
- My diagnostic criteria for aspartame disease, and the
grounds for the foregoing assertions are detailed in articles and books
(2-11). They challenge the misleading attitudes of Zehetner and McLean
concerning "trivial" amounts of free methanol, of the sequelae
from flooding the body with large amounts of phenylalanine, aspartic acid
and their stereoisomers, and failure to appreciate chronic methanol-derived
- The public health significance of this matter is compounded
by the fact that over half the United States population currently consumes
aspartame products. The dangers of excessive heat, prolonged storage, aspartame
gum, and the incorporation of aspartame in pediatric preparations are underscored.
- Inasmuch as the authors are in Australia, I refer them
to my solicited critique of the official position by the Australia and
New Zealand Food Authority (ANZFA) on aspartame (12).
- 1. Zehetner A, McLean M. Lancet 1999, 354:78.
- 2. Roberts HJ. Neurological, psychiatric, and behavioral
- to aspartame in 505 aspartame reactors.
- Chapter 45 in Dietary Phenylalanine and Brain Function
ed by R.
- Wurtman and E. Ritter-Walker, Birkhauser Boston, Inc.,
- 3. Roberts HJ. Reactions to aspartame-containing products:
- J Appl Nutr 1988: 40:85-94.
- 4. Roberts HJ. Aspartame (NutraSweet7)-associated epilepsy.
- Clin Res 1988, 36:349A.
- 5. Roberts HJ. Complications associated with aspartame
- in diabetics. Clin Res 1988: 3-489A.
- 6. Roberts HJ. Aspartame (NutraSweet7): Is it safe?
- Philadelphia, The Charles Press, 1989.
- 7. Roberts HJ. Does aspartame cause human brain cancer?
- J. Advanc M 1991; 4 (Winter):231-241.
- 8. Roberts HJ. Sweet'ner Dearest: Bittersweet Vignettes
- Aspartame (NutraSweet7).
- West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press 1992.
- 9. Roberts HJ. Defense Against Alzheimer's Disease.
- West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press, 1995.
- 10. Roberts HJ. Aspartame and headache. Neurology 1995;
- 11. Roberts HJ. Ignored Health Hazards for Pilots and
- West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press, 1998.
- 12. Roberts HJ. Critique of the official Australia and
- Authority (ANZFA) position on aspartame.
- Soil & Health 1997; July/September 15.
- 1. Take the 60-day No Aspartame Test and send us your
- Mission Possible International
- 9270 River Club Parkway Duluth, GA 30097 USA 770-242-2599
- 2. Tell your doctor and all of your friends!
- 3. Return Asparcidal food to the store.
- (anything with Monsanto's NutraSweet/Equal/Spoonful/Benevia/NatraTaste)
- VISIT http://www.dorway.com Get links to over 200 sites
- VISIT http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/ FAQs &
- VISIT http://www.notmilk.com Exposing Bovine Growth Hormone
- Disability and Death are not acceptable costs of business!
- VISIT http://www.icanect.net/sunpress/ Books on aspartame
by Dr. Roberts