- ITHACA - A 20-year-old Cornell
University student from Clinton Corners has died of complications of the
H1N1 virus, university officials confirmed Friday.
- Warren J. Schor, a member of the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity
who was living at the fraternity house on Edgecliff Place on North Campus,
died Friday at Cayuga Medical Center. Schor was a student in the College
of Agriculture and Life Sciences, according to Cornell's online directory.
- The campus has dealt with a flood of incidences of the
disease, but no deaths until now. As of Friday, the school's health service
had reported dealing with more than 520 cases, many of which have been
students calling in from home, Vice President for Communications Tommy
- "One of things I wanted to say is to reassure everyone
that Cornell has been working really hard at this issue," Bruce said
Friday. "We have been prepping for a pandemic for three years, and
since this season has come around, we've been working around the clock."
- All flu cases that are identified currently are assumed
to be H1N1, since the seasonal flu is not known to be circulating this
early in the season.
- Zeta Beta Tau, an historically Jewish fraternity, could
not be reached Friday for comment.
- Cornell President David Skorton released a statement
Friday evening informing the campus and press of Schor's death.
- "The university has been in close contact with Warren's
family, and we wish to convey our heartfelt condolences to them and to
his many friends," Skorton said. "Please keep them in your thoughts
in the following days."
- Those who become ill should consider getting medical
attention if they have a temperature more than 100 degrees, or experience
difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, sudden dizziness, pain or
pressure in the chest, a change in their level of consciousness, or severe
or persistent vomiting.
- Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural
Economics Univ of West Indies Please visit my "Emerging Diseases"
message board at: http://www.emergingdisease.org/phpbb/index.php Also
my new website: http://drpdoyle.tripod.com/ Zhan le Devlesa tai
sastimasa Go with God and in Good Health