- Some who read "Might Betelgeuse go BOOM?" were
correct that I did not do a good job on spelling out the sequences of what
can happen with such a Supernova and the time factors involved. It was
both an oversight on my part to spell out a specific time frame and clarifying
the terminology. The consequences are not that hard to grasp but sequence
and time factors are.
- There will be the initial shock wave that is the bright
light in the sky but that one event can set into motion four phases of
bad things, each with a time frame of when it would happen. The initial
bright light may not be without horrible consequences for our planet when
the Supernova notice first appears in the sky.
- That alone may be the first of many massive hits on our
home planet or it might be the only hit needed to end us on this planet.
The bright light and its accompanying issues may well be the beginning
of the end for Earth.
- The shock wave may be headed at us already, or start
on its journey today or 10, 20 years from now. Due to the Pandora's Box
of bad things that can happen, some of us will not make it but hopefully
some of us will. That is explained below.
- The three early parts of the event are fairly easy to
- They all get put into motion when we see the bright light
in the sky. The final fourth phase depends on many factors and it will
take much longer in time to arrive or calculate when it will arrive.
- The important thing is that it is not a matter of 'if'
but it is a matter of 'when'. Our species only has so much time to get
into gear and do something constructive to face such a danger.
- Failure to do so could lead to extinction of all life
on this planet. This will not be like trying to save the planet from CO2,
or the whales or the polar bears. This could be a life extinction event
for all life so travel plans might be in order.
- It is interesting to see that people read, think and
respond to an article that probes their consciousness and compels them
to think about the future, whether good or bad. I was asked some interesting
questions due to the 'Might Betelgeuse go BOOM?' article.
- This calamity needs to be named something. It may become
the equivalent of 'Calamitas Apocalyptica', or 1,000 years of apocalyptic
Hell and calamity on Earth. Maybe as an alternative 'Terra Apocalyptica'
would be fitting. That would not be due to any war being launched by anyone
and sure as Hell would not have anything to do with global warming per
the mantra of Al Gore and his Gorettes.
- (National Geographic ran a special July 22 about the
end fate of our Sun and Earth. Maybe Gore and his Gorettes should watch
the real inconvenient truth on National Geographic. The Earth will either
be consumed by the Sun or the Sun will melt the surface of the Earth to
smooth nothingness. There will be no oceans, no rivers, no lakes, no trees,
no mountains, and no life left. Our planet will be like Mercury, an oversized
super-heated billiards ball or consumed by the Sun.)
- Such a scenario as Betelgeuse presents would be our human
species on a tiny planet up against the sheer powers and dangers that have
always existed within the framework of the Universe.
- Maybe some people think Earth came with a manufacturer's
warranty? Call Barky Obama! My bet is he will be selling Earth Warranties
to underwrite another stupid bail out for elite insiders. Those other
lying hucksters Clinton and Bush will be selling and every one of their
buddies, too. Gore will probably see the opportunity to turn a buck and
abandon his global warming scam.
- When Betelgeuse goes Supernova the events will be played
out over time and could be a much longer time than many would wish to see.
- It could be a 'bad to worse' scenario from start to finality
as time passes.
- There were also many interesting emails in response to
'Might Betelgeuse go BOOM?' This person was asking about what muons can
do to kill life on this planet and added a passage from Revelations:
- "Revelation 9
- 1The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star
that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to
the shaft of the Abyss. 2When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like
the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the
smoke from the Abyss. 3And out of the smoke locusts came down upon the
earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. 4They were
told not to harm the grass of the earth or any plant or tree, but only
those people who did not have the seal of God on their foreheads. 5They
were not given power to kill them, but only to torture them for five months.
And the agony they suffered was like that of the sting of a scorpion when
it strikes a man. 6During those days men will seek death, but will not
find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them."
- My gut instincts say that the Evil that rules this planet
know that the Apocalypse is coming for them. The person who sent the email
was also wondering if Betelgeuse might be that star cited in Revelations
that unleashes punishment on our planet to anyone who does not have the
seal of God on their foreheads. I cannot say, time will tell.
- Muons might feel like scorpion stings. I for one do
not wish to find out what muons feel like.
- One person asked me why I bothered to write the article,
since there is nothing we can do about a Supernova in our future. Simple
answer I would be remiss as a human being and as a Christian to not
say what is happening while the perverts, thugs and war criminals are already
making preparations as they attempt to be the sole survivors.
- Seriously, what does our government intend to do by spending
hundreds of billions of dollars in preparations so they will survive?
Move to another planet and govern nothing but their own windbag mill?
Maybe they intend to hold Senate and House sessions to govern a dead planet?
Talk about self-inflated egos that think they are still important in the
essence of nothingness or in the midst of total disaster that they cannot
do anything about.
- The colossal star Antares was bigger than Betelgeuse
and it is now smaller. It was about 2,000 times the size of the Sun and
is now about 800 times the size. That is another super massive star in
this neighborhood that might be getting wound up for the Big Event. It
is about 600 light years from Earth and it may be headed into Supernova
mode, too. Or, it too may have already hit the Supernova mode.
- A reader in Australia sent me an interesting link to
graphics that were posted on Rense in 2006. This can put the matter into
scale and perspective for you, but note that Antares is now smaller than
Betelgeuse by about 20%:
- Our beautiful planet is a mere speck in the bigger realm
of things. We are sort of like one grain of sand compared to all of the
grains of sand on all of the beaches on this planet.
- We may be drifting along on the Good Ship La-La-Earth
into the biggest calamity this part of the Milky Way galaxy has ever had
double-barrel supernovas in our neighborhood. Something tells me
this millennium is not going to be worth remembering except for the value
of harsh lessons.
- In a 2008 interview with a Russian high tech magazine
I mentioned, almost as an afterthought, that what we may be witnessing
is the collision between two galaxies and we are in the smaller galaxy.
- In a way, the Milky Way might be rejecting our merger
or has decided that adopting us is just too high a price to pay.
- This is what I was referring to:
- This was the article that had the discussion and the
- My instincts say Earth may well be facing foreclosure
and eviction. This area of the Milky Way galaxy may be destined to become
a star creation nursery in the future. That is when the clock of the Universe
process starts over, along with evolution of new life forms. Everything
in the way has to be demolished, possibly even us. I guess we could consider
it God's version of urban renewal. It may not set well with inhabitants
of Earth but this entire area might be rezoned for something of a higher
and better use.
- God may be doing all of us a favor by moving the renovation
- That is because this planet is definitely ruled by clowns,
idiots, criminals and psychopaths, no doubt about that matter in my mind.
- The word buffoon(s) comes to mind almost daily.
- The folks at Cal Berkeley Observatory are not the only
ones that are watching this matter closely. Betelgeuse has definitely
initiated an iron core fusion process and contraction in size.
- Scientists who study supernovas are aware that such is
the lead up to what is usually a massive explosion in such a star. When
Betelgeuse goes into core critical mode, most suspect an event along the
lines of SN 1987A, SN 1993J or SN 2008D with colossal releases of energy
that would not be beneficial to the health or life on this planet over
- I have seen some comments by scientists that Betelgeuse
could go Supernova at any moment, while the PTB rush around to save their
asses and the Sheeple still graze unaware of the possible dangers.
- Maybe that is as it should be, for it is truly only the
evil, the greedy, the megalomaniacs and the inhumane among us that have
reason to fear.
- They spent all those years lying, stealing, cheating,
killing, torturing, abusing and crushing anyone in their path, and now
might lose it all. So sad for them! It is for certain that they cannot
take it with them.
- One of our quantum mechanics affiliates thinks that in
addition to a massive blast of light due to the Supernova (and the possibility
of massive doses of life-killing UV, gamma ray and x-ray), Betelgeuse might
also be the type of star that will generate a considerable gravity wave
as part of the event. That would add to the hurt by extending into centuries
a string of bad luck for our planet. Our planet may soon exemplify the
old adage if it were not for our bad luck we would not have any luck
- There may be mercy granted if a massive GRB comes and
spares this planet what would be coming next after the initial announcement
we see in the sky that Betelgeuse is no more.
- Being quite pragmatic about the matter, it will be those
evil folks who have their bunkers built with ill-gotten gains and taxpayer
dollars that will have to face the Calamitas Apocalyptica. I say. let
it rain and rain and rain on them.
- Scientists already know that the core collapse phenomenon
does alter the gravity realities in that area of the Cosmos and one of
the side effects is a single large or multiple smaller gravity waves depending
on how the core collapsed, tried to resist collapse, etc. Those are shock
waves that precede or coincide with the thermonuclear blast wave that defines
the Supernova event.
- That would be an electromagnetic pulse, or 'EMP' that
is mentioned later in this essay.
- That gravity wave would probably not be felt on Earth
due to the atmosphere and the amount of water we have that would dampen
the jolt. If it is felt it would probably be like a planet-wide mild earthquake
tremor. It might make the water tremble slightly in your glass but out
in the emptiness of our Solar System it could be like a massive bulldozer.
- Such a gravity wave would definitely have an effect in
the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and in the Kuiper Belt and Oort
Cloud outside of the Pluto orbit. It might also be powerful enough to
create a 'nudge' to the planetary orbits, especially the smaller planets
and that could be very disruptive. If strong enough it could even create
an oscillation or warping in the orbits of all nine planets and disrupt
the equilibrium. We do not need to be any closer or any further away from
- It is sort of hard to visualize but think of the bright
light as the shock wave and could include gravity wave, massive doses of
UV, gamma ray and x-ray radiation. Radiation and energy waves travel fast.
The blast wave is the thermonuclear blast and waves of matter and would
include super high levels of heat. The blast wave and super-heated matter
travel much slower, usually.
- Such circumstances might also cause some interesting
flare ups with our Sun and it becomes a problem for a while during this
change in the local environment of our Solar System.
- Over the billions of years, an equilibrium has set in
where the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter is fairly stable. That
also holds true for the Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud of small and large chunks
of ice and debris. There are extremely large ice chunks in the Kuiper
and Oort region outside the orbit of Pluto. Any outside pushing force
into either of those zones of our Solar System, such as a gravity wave,
could set off a chain of events that has asteroids and large chunks of
space ice literally raining down on our planet (and others) and either
impacting or blowing up in our atmosphere. That period of bad luck could
last for thousands of years or more.
- Even if these projectiles miss Earth, they could impact
other planets and still have an effect here. It is all connected and interconnected,
just like a huge electrical network.
- In sequence of events this quantum mechanics scientist
thinks we would first see the huge blast of light. Secondly, that will
be followed very shortly with intense energy waves that will be either
UV, or gamma ray or x-ray. We will not know until it arrives here at Earth
which flavor we get, nor will we know the extent of damaging side effects
such as muons or literally massive wave irradiation of our planet until
it happens. Thirdly, concurrent with that is the distinct possibly that
the gravity wave would disrupt the asteroid belt and the Kuiper / Oort
zone and set off that chain of events to where we have a nightmare that
starts and might not end for about 1,000 years or 10,000,000 years. That
would be the second and third phase of Calamitas Apocalyptica.
- Fortunately, the 10,000,000 years scenario would probably
never come into play, or we will not be around to suffer through it.
- That barrage of space objects would be item number three,
but there is a fourth one mentioned at the end of this essay.
- On July 30, 1908 there was some form of nuclear explosion
in the atmosphere in the area of Tunguska Siberia. The blast was approximately
1,000 times as powerful as the bomb the US dropped 37-years later on Hiroshima.
- In short, there was a massive nuclear explosion in Siberia
37-years before mankind supposedly discovered and deployed a nuclear weapon.
- This is a five-minute video about that event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiXpp-i442s
- Most scientists seem to agree that either an asteroid
or a large comet-like chunk of ice is what created the Tunguska event.
It entered our atmosphere at high speed, superheated and detonated in
the air leaving a large area of total destruction. This event even created
mutations that have been studied now for a very long time.
- In the middle of all of this hype about North Korea and
Iran, WMD, etc, we might all need to consider the WMD effects that Supernova
Betelgeuse can visit upon Earth.
- Try to imagine an environment where nuclear detonations
(or deep impacts) are raining in from outer space and flattening large
areas of this Earth. Try to imagine such objects hitting land and causing
massive blast waves, fire storms and even a nuclear winter if the impacts
are big enough and the ejected materials cloud the Sun from the surface
of our planet. Try to imagine such objects hitting the oceans and causing
speed-of-sound tsunamis that could be from one to three miles high and
destroy everything in their path. There is not enough 'high ground' to
prevent hundreds of millions to billions of people being killed in such
- Under that scenario, I think my preference would be to
let the evil bastards hunker down in their bunkers and await their doom.
- You see, Revelations is illusory. In that I mean the
Seven Seals and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, or even Armageddon
do not have to be the literal images that mankind has devised. They are
mental images that people can relate to. It does not have to be Gog and
Magog hurling nuclear missiles at each other. The sound of the angel's
trumpet may be the blast of phenomenon ripping our planet apart. They
can each and every one be embodied within other types of calamities and
achieve the same end result. There is nothing that says they may not come
as horrors that the human mind cannot even envision and not even originate
on this planet.
- To say that Evil has taken over our planet would be putting
it mildly. The very worst of human traits are now held on high as if they
are some worthy character trait for our species or an icon worthy of worship.
Most of our species inherently and instinctively reject such conduct.
That is the goodness that has evolved on our planet and it is still here
regardless of how quiet it may be.
- The battle between the forces of good and evil does not
necessarily mean that the side of Good even resides on this planet. The
God / Universe version of urban renewal might be how this Universe deals
with evil, warlike beings that do not hesitate to kill even their own species.
- It is as if we are witnessing a complete nervous breakdown
and mass moral breakdown of our species as crime, fraud, child abuse, pedophilia,
murder, war crimes, cruelty and inhumanity are like ill winds all over
this Earth. When torture, wars based on lies, war crimes, killing of innocents
become passé, we as a species prove that we are not worth saving
for the most part.
- The analogies or mental pictures put forth in Revelations
could easily mean the following:
- First Horseman of the Apocalypse:
- The notice of the Supernova as a massive blast of light
(Shock Wave) accompanied by extreme levels of either UV or gamma rays or
x-rays. That bright light might be in our sky for weeks or months.
- We might even be the unlucky recipients of a GRB or gamma
ray burst that would shorten the time of suffering and increase the likelihood
of extinction. As to time, that depends on when Betelgeuse explodes or
if it has already exploded. If it has already detonated, the fuse is lit
and how long it takes to arrive depends on when it blew up. It may have
blown up 400 years ago, might do so today or might be in the future.
- If Betelgeuse reaches its potential as a Supernova, this
phase could have massive effects on our planet and there will probably
be direct or indirect casualties. If a GRB is involved, the casualties
will probably be massive and it might prove to be an act of mercy. This
wave of ill wind will be headed at us at the speed of light so arrival
could be sooner than most want.
- Muons may well make people wish they were dead but cannot
find peace quickly. The incidence of cancer may well go off the scale
following this blast to our ecosystem.
- Second Horseman of the Apocalypse:
- A large gravity wave would arrive along with the First
Horseman of the Apocalypse that could upend the equilibrium in this Solar
System that has taken many billions of years to establish. Such an event
could wind up hurling asteroids and space ice chunks into the inner Solar
System and add to the hardships. This phase could also see massive increases
in cancer and die offs due to the UV, gamma ray and x-ray blasts that hit
the Earth in the first wave.
- Betelgeuse and Antares are large enough solar masses
that the end result may well be black holes. There is also a possibility
that the creation of such black holes may escalate the level of any EMP
gravity wave that would be created.
- Due to the distance from Earth to the various parts of
the Asteroid Belt, there would be a time delay as to when asteroids would
arrive to impact our planet.
- The Asteroid Belt is literally multitudes of possible
hazardous objects. It is nominally between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter
but some of them even orbit along the Jupiter orbit pathway. Our planet
may be facing hundreds, or thousands or tens of thousands of Near Earth
Objects, or NEOs.
- The sheer force of the initial shock wave (UV, gamma
ray, x-ray and gravity wave) could easily push many of these objects into
the Earth. Small ones will burn up in the atmosphere but the larger ones
can have effects ranging from harsh to devastating. The larger ones can
inflict damage ranging from taking out tens to hundreds of millions of
people up to the level of being what they call planetary killers.
- The asteroid that hit the Yucatan Peninsula area about
65 million years ago left a crater 110 miles wide. That event is what
scientists think led to the extinction of the dinosaurs. They also think
it was an asteroid about 6 miles wide.
- Since NASA now wants to bomb the Moon with a kinetic
weapon, think of it this way. Such asteroids are also kinetic weapons
but much more powerful.
- All one has to do is look at photographs of the Moon
- Those craters happened long ago, but those days can return
due to the Betelgeuse Supernova.
- It would not take long for the Asteroid Belt objects
to be pushed from where they are and impact the Earth. At most 3-5 years
after the Supernova event and could last for hundreds of years of impacts
with varying levels of damage.
- Third Horseman of the Apocalypse:
- After the bright Supernova light fades, events may have
been put into motion that will continue to hammer Earth for a long time
into the future. Such events would continue to inflict direct or indirect
casualties far into the future. A possible barrage of asteroid belt objects
or large comet-like ice chunks from the Kuiper Belt or Oort Cloud that
could last a thousand years or more. It could be the equivalent of a Thousand
Year War and one huge blast or deep impact / tsunami after another. Problem
is there is no one to shoot back at so it would be a war we cannot win.
- This phase could turn into Calamitas Apocalyptica in
that any life remaining would continue to be hammered by nuclear blasts,
deep impact asteroids, ocean impacts with tsunamis, nuclear winter, starvation,
etc. Such events could also set into motion massive Ice Age events that
push the remaining population of Earth into smaller and smaller areas.
- These objects are much further from Earth than the Asteroid
Belt but will not be hard to push in our direction. It will just take
longer for them to reach the inner planets of the Solar System.
- Best estimate is about 50 years after the bright light
in the sky Earth might be in for large impacts from space debris from the
Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud regions. Those events alone may cause massive
death, crop failure and planetary starvation even before the worst part
- The Kuiper Belt ranges from 30 AU to 55 AU from the Sun
and extends from about Neptune to well beyond Pluto at approximately 39
AU from the Sun. It is estimated that there are about 70,000 objects in
this area larger than 100 km in size, and a multitude of other sizes.
A 100km wide object is a planetary killer and even one such object could
extinguish life on our planet.
- These objects are in a very loose orbit so would not
be hard to direct towards the inner solar system orbits. Amazingly, the
Kuiper Belt is a stable region but something like Betelgeuse could easily
change that to our detriment.
- The Oort Cloud is further away and ranges from about
the edge of the Kuiper belt to almost one light year from our Sun. There
are too many objects in the field to count. Even in the Kuiper and Oort
regions there are objects large enough to be classified as small or sub-planet
in size. The potential for multiple planetary-killer impacts is not out
of the realm of possibility.
- If you are 50 or older there is nothing to worry about
on this one. If you are younger, maybe some can survive to write or tell
what Hell looked like.
- With each successive phase of asteroid impacts, the survivability
probabilities decrease for our species.
- These endless decades or centuries of Hell raining in
as the asteroids and ice chunks might even make it difficult to get off
this third rock from the Sun and head to another planet and start over.
That would depend on how much space debris is headed at Earth.
- It might be impossible to leave if our means of devising
an exit strategy keeps getting damaged or destroyed by objects that were
hurled our way by the initial Betelgeuse shock wave. The building of a
space ship, or a fleet of them, would take a massive infrastructure on
the ground. That infrastructure and even a work force might vanish before
any such evacuation vehicle could be completed.
- This was in one of the emails from our quantum mechanics
- "As far as Betelgeuse is concerned the clock will
start ticking when the night sky lights up and after the light show ends
and the EMP pulse fades and the gravity waves dissipate, we will repair
the damage and breath a sigh of relief, and then about 50 years after that
great big chunks of space junk will begin entering the inner solar system
and if one does hit the earth and is big enough then our worries will be
over and this could last for thousands of years (this will be because the
oort cloud will have been disturbed by the EMP , light and gravity waves).
Then after that the big enchilada slams into the solar system and if we
haven't left the vicinity by then bend over real hard and kiss your ass
- The big enchilada referred to by this scientist is the
Betelgeuse supernova thermonuclear blast wave, at which time our relatively
peaceful Solar System will be engulfed into what is a supercharged, super
hot nursery for the creation of new stars and new solar systems. The blast
wave and the matter of the Supernova Remnant do not travel as fast as light
or the effects we will get in UV, gamma rays or x-rays, or gravity wave.
- The Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse:
- This would be the arrival of the thermonuclear blast
wave and superheated star remnants of what once was Betelgeuse. There
are some factors that cannot be calculated until the event happens and
we see the first wave of it and then track the expansion of the remnant.
The magnitude of Supernovas varies as well as the rate of expansion of
the Supernova Remnant. Estimated Time of Arrival, or "ETA",
will not be known for a long time.
- There are Supernova Remnants that are large enough to
span from Betelgeuse to our Solar System. The larger the star, the larger
the blast, the larger the Supernova Remnant can be. If there is anything
about the Universe that is apparent that is that the Universe is an area
where scale and awesome power are on display and it is beyond colossal.
- Betelgeuse is one of the largest stars known. It has
the potential to be a colossal event and a deadly event.
- It will look pretty from another planet far away just
like the Crab Nebula does from Earth, but it will not be pretty from this
vantage point. Here would be like Hell. The Supernova Remnant expansion
is a combination of the superheated thermonuclear blast and the matter
that existed at the time of the blast and new elements that are created
due to that explosion. This remnant matter stays hot for a very long time
due to the sheer temperatures that are reached in that pivotal moment.
It is the stuff of which new stars and new planets are made.
- As one of our scientist said, there is time for what
is left of mankind to emigrate to another planet if we can find a suitable
one. The first question will be how many survivors remain on Planet Earth
after the first three Horsemen of the Apocalypse have passed our way.
Secondly, can we find a suitable planet? It may be a journey where generations
are born and pass before the destination is reached.
- Even if the blast wave and supernova remnant cannot reach
this far, the first three scenarios may have already ended life on this
planet or could have ended any semblance of quality of life on this planet.
It might also be the case that we suffer the first three calamities and
then the Fourth Horseman arrives later. By then, it might not even matter
if no one is left to protest or experience the moment.
- Our hustle and bustle world may be dead silent and devoid
- The Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse would be a point
in history when our planet is no longer needed for human life. It will
be scheduled to be recycled into a new star or a new planet, which may
or may not have life on it. Where you are sitting today might be part
of a new Pluto in the future and no life, or it may be part of the next
star in this area many billions of years from now.
- Our existing planet would definitely not have any human
life on it when the Fourth Horseman arrives, but it may be devoid of life
long before that.
- We may learn over the eons that God has quite a sense
of humor, when cretins like Bush, Clinton, Obama, Cheney, Pelosi, et al
get recycled as the new anus on the new and improved Uranus. My grandfather
always warned me to watch my behavior because it might affect how I get
- I can think of many possible bad endings but the worst
would be to have the worst among us be the only survivors and the only
future representatives as to what is best about our species. That would
be even more tragic than the extinction of our species or the destruction
of our planet. Just imagine, our greatest scumbags and criminals are going
to introduce themselves to the neighbors as if they were the best our planet
had to offer. I cannot say for you but I take umbrage to even the thought
of such a travesty.
- In closing, I see three camps forming in the coming years.