- This is interesting.
- After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in
the same way again.
- Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose
and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained
and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas
provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the
banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes. But
energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help
overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions,
making it a must to add to our daily diet.
- Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by
MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after
eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of
protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax,
improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.
- PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6
it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.
- Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production
of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
- Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely
high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure.
So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana
industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the
risk of blood pressure and stroke.
- Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex)
school were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at
breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research
has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making
pupils more alert.
- Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the
diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem
without resorting to laxatives.
- Hangovers: One of the quickest
- ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake,
sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help
of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes
and re-hydrates your system.
- Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the
body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing
- Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps
to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness
- Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream,
try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many
people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.
- Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm
the nervous system.
- Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology
in Austria found pressure at work . leads to gorging on comfort food
like chocolate and crisps. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers
found the most obese were more likely to be in high- pressure jobs. The
report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to
control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods
every two hours to keep levels steady.
- Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against
intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is
the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over- chronicler
cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating
the lining of the stomach.
- Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas
as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional
temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant
women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD
sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.
- Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people
trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium
and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of
- Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize
the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water
balance When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing
our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium
- Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal
of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk
of death by strokes by as much as 40%.
- Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that
if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place
it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place
with a plaster or surgical tape.
- So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills.
When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice
the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A
and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich
in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time
to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day
keeps the doctor away!"
- PS: I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes??
Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe...polish
with dry cloth. Amazing fruit!
- PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all