- Dear Mr. President,
- I did not vote for you in the Presidential Election because
I am Malaysian.
- But I consider myself one of your constituents because
what you do or say will affect me and my country as well.
- I welcome your promise for change. Certainly your country,
the United States of America needs a lot of changes.
- That is because America and Americans have become the
best hated people in the world. Even Europeans dislike your arrogance.
Yet you were once admired and liked because you freed a lot of countries
from conquest and subjugation.
- It is the custom on New Year's day for people to make
resolutions. You must have listed your good resolutions already. But may
I politely suggest that you also resolve to do the following in pursuit
- 1) Stop killing people. The United States is too fond
of killing people in order to achieve its objectives. You call it war,
but today's wars are not about professional soldiers fighting and killing
each other. It is about killing people, ordinary innocent people by the
hundreds of thousands. Whole countries will be devastated.
- War is primitive, the cavemen's way of dealing with a
problem. Stop your arms build up and your planning for future wars.
- 2) Stop indiscriminate support of Israeli killers with
your money and your weapons. The planes and the bombs killing the people
of Gaza are from you.
- 3) Stop applying sanctions against countries which cannot
do the same against you.
- In Iraq your sanctions killed 500,000 children through
depriving them of medicine and food. Others were born deformed.
- What have you achieved with this cruelty? Nothing except
the hatred of the victims and right-thinking people.
- 4) Stop your scientists and researchers from inventing
new and more diabolical weapons to kill more people more efficiently.
- 5) Stop your arms manufacturers from producing them.
Stop your sales of arms to the world. It is blood money that you earn.
It is un-Christian.
- 6) Stop trying to democratize all the countries of the
world. Democracy may work for the United States but it does not always
work for other countries.
- Don't kill people because they are not democratic. Your
crusade to democratize countries has killed more people than the authoritarian
Governments which you overthrew. And you have not succeeded anyway.
- 7) Stop the casinos which you call financial institutions.
Stop hedge funds, derivatives and currency trading. Stop banks from lending
non-existent money by the billions.
- Regulate and supervise your banks. Jail the miscreants
who made profits from abusing the system.
- 8) Sign the Kyoto Protocol and other international agreements.
- 9) Show respect for the United Nations.
- I have many other resolutions for change which I think
you should consider and undertake.
- But I think you have enough on your plate for this 2009th
year of the Christian Era.
- If you can do only a few of what I suggest, you will
be remembered by the world as a great leader. Then the United States will
again be the most admired nation. Your embassies will be able to take down
the high fences and razor-wire coils that surround them.
- May I wish you a Happy New Year and a great Presidency.
- Yours Sincerely,
- Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad