- (Reuters) -- People who eat two or more servings of red
meat a day are much more likely to develop conditions leading to heart
disease and diabetes, U.S. researchers reported on Tuesday.
- Eating two or more servings of meat a day increases the
risk of suffering from a cluster of risk factors known as metabolic syndrome
by 25 percent compared to those who had only two servings of meat a week,
the researchers reported in the journal Circulation.
- The symptoms of metabolic syndrome include excessive
fat around the waist, high cholesterol, high blood sugar and high blood
- The study also found that diet soda consumption was linked
to these elevated risk factors for heart disease and diabetes, echoing
the findings of a study published in July. "When we found that
diet soda promoted risk we were surprised," said Dr. Lyn Steffen,
an associate professor of epidemiology at the University of Minnesota.
- "But then we thought about other behavior patterns,"
she added in a telephone interview. "It may be associated with
compensating for eating higher calorie food. People may say, 'I can eat
this cookie because I am drinking this diet soda."'
- Lots of meat, fried foods and diet soda add up to heart
disease, the researchers said, and the conclusions add to a swelling body
of evidence linking fast food with unhealthy lifestyles. Steffen's
team examined the diets of 9,514 people in a study funded by the National
Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. In a departure from related studies,
this one went into a detailed look at precisely what people were eating.
- Most were aged 45 to 64. Based on a 66-item food
frequency questionnaire, the volunteers were categorized into two groups:
those with a "western-pattern" diet, heavy on processed meat,
fried foods, red meat; and a "prudent-pattern" diet with more
fruit and vegetables, with small amounts of fish and poultry.
- After nine years, nearly 40 percent of those involved
developed three or more of the factors linked to metabolic syndrome, they
wrote. This was clear even when smoking and exercise were factored in.
- (Editing by Maggie Fox and Mohammad Zargham)
- Note from Betty Martini - The reason diet soda is
linked to heart disease is that aspartame causes an irregular heart rhythm
and interacts with all cardiac medication. It damages the cardiac conduction
system and causes sudden death. Below are the medical reports.
- Aspartame Induced Arrhythmias and Sudden Death by H.
J. Roberts, MD
- Athlete Alert: Sudden Cardiac Death by Russell Blaylock,
- Sudden Cardiac Death and Aspartame (Martini)
- Report by Dr. H. J. Roberts: Aspartame and Cardiac Symptoms
and Interaction with Other Drugs
- From: betty martini
- Subject: Aspartame and Cardiac Symptoms, and interaction
with other drugs by H. J. Roberts, M.D.
- Statement of H. J. Roberts, M.D. Concerning Cardiac and
- Attributed to Aspartame (NUTRASWEET (R))
- Many patients and correspondents have asked whether products
containing aspartame can cause or aggravate symptoms relating to the heart,
blood pressure and chest. Based on my experience, as detailed in multiple
publications and books (see below), the answer is YES.
- Hundreds of such instances have been documented in my
database of over 950 aspartame reactors. There was dramatic improvement
after avoiding aspartame, and a prompt and predictable recurrence of these
problems when the patient resumed aspartame products ... knowingly or
- ABNORMAL HEART RHYTHM
- More than 120 individuals experienced a detectable change
in their heart rate and rhythm after consuming aspartame - including gum
and products that did not contain caffeine. This included "fluttering",
(palpitations) and rapid heart action (tachycardia). A number had even
undergone heart monitoring (Holter testing) and other studies, especially
for the associated weakness and faint.
- One patient developed a slow pulse and complete heart
block within hours after consuming an aspartame drink for the first time.
His attack spontaneously subsided within a day without a pacemaker; and
there has been no recurrence.
- This subject has obvious relevance to reports of unexplained
sudden death in persons who had been consuming considerable aspartame.
- Dozens of aspartame reactors without known hypertension
were found to have elevation of their blood pressure - systolic, diastolic
or both, Some were in their twenties. While aspartame products unequivocally
cause headaches, the superimposed hypertension probably was a contributing
- Other patients who had been treated for hypertension
could not be adequately controlled on their maintenance medication as long
as they used aspartame. This reflects its interaction with various drugs.
Aspartame originally devised as a drug to treat peptic ulcer.
- The rapid heart action and the elevation of blood pressure
presumably reflect the effects of phenylalanine (an aspartame component)
and its metabolic products. They include dopamine, norepinephrine and
- ATYPICAL CHEST PAIN
- More than 50 aspartame reactors experienced unexplained
pain in the chest. (Many others have atypical pain elsewhere in the body).
A number underwent stress tests and coronary angioplasty for suspected
coronary heart disease; they proved normal in the majority.
- SHORTNESS OF BREATH
- Over 70 aspartame reactors with "shortness of breath"
promptly improved after abstaining from these products, and predictably
suffered a recurrence on rechallenge. Clinical sleep apnea also dramatically
- stopped in these patients when they avoided aspartame.
- RELATED COMMENTS
- These issues are elaborated in my two books on the subject:
- (NUTRASWEET):IS IT SAFE? (Charles Press) and SWEET'NER
- BITTERSWEET VIGNETTES ABOUT ASPARTAME (NUTRASWEET(R))
- Press, P. O. Box 17799, West Palm Beach, Florida 33416,
1 800 827 7991 They are also summarized in an updated discussion on two
cassettes, IS ASPARTAME (NUTRASWEET(R)) SAFE? A MEDICAL PUBLIC HEALTH AND
LEGAL OVERVIEW, Sunshine Sentinel Press, P. O. Box 17799, West Palm Beach,
- I have asserted in my publications, testimony to Congress
and in letters to Congressmen and the FDA, that the current wholesale ingestion
of aspartame products by over half the adult population constitutes an
"imminent public health hazard." Yet this warning continues
to be ignored by the medical profession and the FDA. This is particular concern
for high risk groups, most notably patients with diabetes and hypoglycemia,
pregnant women, children, patients with epilepsy, liver, heart, kidney
disease and eating disorders, older persons with memory impairment, the
relatives of aspartame reactors, and patients having Phenylketonuria.
- H. J. Roberts, M.D. (Dr. Roberts wrote this in 1998
and his data base grew so there are more cases) He has since written the
medical text on the world epidemic of Aspartame Disease listed below.
- Based on above reports was Heath Ledger's death caused
by aspartame? This well known actor was found dead on Tuesday. He was
reportedly using Ambien CR and Zoloft, and other drugs and he drank Diet
Coke with aspartame. Here again you have to consider aspartame and the
drug interaction as responsible for his death. Since sudden death is well
documented caused by aspartame this should be taken into consideration
during the investigation.
- Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic, H. J. Roberts,
M.D., <http://www.sunsentpress.com>www.sunsentpress.com or 1 800
827 7991 Also: Protecting Mankind: One Physician's Quest.
- Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, Russell Blaylock,
Also Health & Nutrition Secrets To Save Your Life. "The Truth
About Aspartame", CD, <http://www.atavistik.com>www.atavistik.com
- Aspartame Documentary: Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World,
- "What To Do If You Have Used Aspartame" by
Russell Blaylock, M.D., <http://www.sunsentpress.com>www.sunsentpress.com
- Dr. Betty Martini, D.Hum, Founder
- Mission Possible International
- 9270 River Club Parkway
- Duluth, Georgia 30097
- 770 242-2599
- www.mpwhi.com, <http://www.dorway.com>www.dorway.com
- Aspartame Toxicity Center, <http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame>www.holisticmed.com/aspartame
- Aspartame Information List, <http://www.mpwhi.com>www.mpwhi.com,
click on banner