- Amid the clamor of a world hurtling towards
the next century, a great secret has been kept from humanity which may
hold the key to our future. This secret is hidden in plain sight and yet
remains unacknowledged by most. It is discussed widely in popular culture
- but its import and meaning remain elusive.
- In a world swimming in new high-tech
billionaires and Internet moguls, we yet use a basic infrastructure - combustible
fuels - which is a holdover from the 1800s. And it threatens all that we
are and all that we can be as it incinerates our future in a sea of pollution,
in a world of increasing haves and have nots.
- In a world where the richest 250 people
have the wealth of half of the world's population and where our current
direction can only lead to some eventual termination in a great grey cloud
of smoke, what does it matter that we are not alone in the universe - and
have been visited already? Indeed. What does it matter?
- Because in that secret lies a great hope
and a great promise. We see a vision not of termination and hopelessness
as the current millennium rolls into the next. We see a time in which the
current malaise and seemingly hopeless problems of the world are transformed
into another time . One of hope and a sustainable civilization. One in
which we can actually envision a global and technologically advanced society
which can evolve and continue for many centuries - not terminate in the
- The good news is that we know how to
do this. The answers exist already and that bright future awaits us. The
sad news is that, among the apathy and distractions of the current milieu,
we find these answers withheld from view. It is an invisible future - which
is here already, but hidden. Do we have the stamina and fortitude to bring
- I awakened this morning thinking of these
and many other things. How do I explain to my children why daddy is foregoing
$200,000 a year in income to pursue such a goal? How do I convey the purpose
of an undertaking which has taken me all over the world, meeting with heads
of state, generals, admirals and titans of industry to build support for
such a disclosure? Having seen one of my closest friends and my most important
co-worker die in the past year while striving to attain this goal, how
can I stop moving forward? Since being diagnosed with cancer myself during
the same time Shari Adamiak was struggling with hers, the question arises
ëWhat should I do with my life?'.
- For eight years we have striven for this
vision. Of course, it would be easier to live a regular sort of life pursuing
career, money and the like. But isn't it precisely because that is what
nearly everyone is doing that the world is in the state we find it today?
- So for my children and all those who
wonder - and worry - about this struggle, about its risks and who may ask
ëWhy bother?', I must share this vision:
- Of a time when we know we are not alone
and indeed are being visited already - and suddenly the earth is a very
small blue island in the vast universe and we are all family upon her.
- Of a time when the people and their representatives
have stood up to the forces of exploitation and covert abuse of power and
have finally fulfilled the promise of democracy and an open and free society.
- Of a time when the one trillion dollar
military/industrial complex will be transformed into an engine to advance
all the peoples of the world, not destroy them.
- Of a time when the technologies of extraterrestrial
origin, already figured out and operational in covert projects funded by
the people, will be disclosed and owned by all.
- Of a time when, by these advancements,
each home and each village can have its own source of energy which consumes
no fuel and pollutes not the air, the water or the land.
- Of a time when the third world will be
freed from the poverty which the limited resources and costs of energy
ensure - and will take its place equally among the prosperous nations of
the northern hemisphere. Of a time when we will utilize space to explore
and discover, not as the next launching pad for warfare.
- Of a time when we can see our children's
children's children living and growing in a world free of the specter of
- Of a time when the earth and her people
will take their place peacefully among other planetary peoples, joining
in an evolutionary spiral which endures for millennia.
- Of a time when the millions of acres
of fertile farm land now under highways will be freed to be nurtured for
better uses, as we float silently from place to place in devices currently
held hostage in underground facilities.
- Of a time when the ugliness of transmission
lines and power plants and nuclear waste will vanish into irrelevance as
we each utilize power sources in our homes and offices which are free-
standing and non-polluting.
- Of a time when no rain forest will need
to be cut down or burned for firewood and minimally productive farmland
since the means of energy and production will forever quench that inferno.
- Of a time when the great want and injustice
of severe poverty, which breeds so much social unrest and suffering, will
be replaced by a culture of abundance, not a zero sum game of greed.
- Of a time when the exploration of mind
and human potential will replace the exploitation of others.
- Of a time of collective security when
the people of the world will vow to enforce a peace which is inviolate
- and universal - and will let no leader or group invade or exploit another.
- Of a time when all beings, human or otherwise,
are respected and protected equally for the reality of their inner being,
not judged by their race or sex or other external qualities.Not even their
planet of origin.
- For such a time, some effort is warranted.
Some sacrifice justified. We have one last hill to climb and then this
vision will be reality. We are only one step away from creating this. The
means exist to do it. The technologies already lie in wait. The knowledge
of what must be done is obvious. The world is wired increasingly into an
- A friend told me a story related to him
by Col. Philip Corso before he passed away. Sometime in the 1950s or early
1960s, he was at Holoman Air Force Base/ White Sands Missile Range during
a landing of an extraterrestrial spacecraft. There was an exchange between
the ET s and the military and at one point Col. Corso, in typical American
military fashion, asked, with regard to open ET cooperation, "What's
in it for me?". The ET responded: " A better world - if you can
- Now, I do not know if this story is true.
I was not there. But I can see that it is exactly what the universe is
saying to us: There is a better world awaiting us - and we can create it.
Can we take it? It is certainly worth a try.
- Steven M. Greer M.D.
- International Director - CSETI
- 15 January 1999
- Albemarle County, Virginia
- CSETI contact details are on the Website
- with details for ordering the Award Winning
Video by James Fox, proceeds
- from which go 100% towards funding CSETI's
Witness Archive Project