- Brad Steiger's Rules
Playing The Reality Game
- By Brad Steiger
- As I wrote in my book, Mysteries of Time
and Space: "It may be that humankind has been invited to participate
in a bizarre kind of contest with some undeclared cosmic opponents. We
may have been challenged to play the Reality Game - and if we can once
apprehend the true significance of the preposterous moves, if we can but
master the proper moves, we may be able to obtain a clearer picture of
our true role in the cosmic scheme of things. The rules of the Reality
Game may be confusing, extremely flexible, and difficult to define, but
play we must - for it is the only game in the Universe."
- Through personal experiences, I have
learned certain rules which I consider essential to helping me play the
Reality Game. These rules have also become personal mottoes and guidelines
for me, and I want to share them with you now:
- 1. In the Beginning was the Word, and
the word was "Adjust."
- 2. Life is a series of intelligent compromises.
- 3. Most of what people believe to be
absolute fact is really a matter of taste, opinion, or perspective.
4. That which you fear most and try to avoid will only rush after you.
Face it...deal with it...before it attacks you from behind.
- 5. The striving is very often more important
than the goal.
- 6. It is all right to use an occasional
crutch - as long as you never mistake it for a third leg.
- 7. Learn to work creatively with your
- 8. In order to use good judgment, you
must attempt to know yourself as completely as possible.
- 9. Letting the cat out of the bag is
a whole lot easier than getting it back in.
- 10. What others call reality is not necessarily
what is real.
- 11. Accept responsibility for your actions
- good or bad.
- 12. Do the best you can.