Lethal Brazilian Flesh
Eating Screwworms And
Flesh Eating Strep
From Mark Siporen <>
Traveler's Exposure To Brazilian Screwworm Raises Concerns Of Possible Outbreak Here
HUNTSVILLE, AL (AP) - A man who returned from Brazil with flesh-eating screwworm maggots on his scalp may have introduced the lethal insect to northern Alabama, health officials said.
The traveler, who was not identified, sought treatment when he noticed growing sores on his scalp after arriving home from his trip July 31.
Health officials said Friday they believe screwworm flies probably laid eggs in an open wound on his head while the man was in the Brazilian rain forest.
During the insect's three-week life cycle, the eggs pupate and become larvae, which then feed on the host animal's flesh until they turn into flies. Screwworm larvae can devour a 600-pound steer in 5-7 days, experts said.
Although the man has been treated, officials are concerned that some of the maggots might have escaped the man's house and gotten into the soil, where they could become flies and then mate.
``We are taking every appropriate measure to prevent the larvae from spreading,'' said Dr. Chris Bishop, a veterinarian with the state agriculture department.
Second Case Of Flesh Eating Bacteria Confirmed
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Two cases of the flesh-eating bacteria have surfaced at a Philadelphia hospital.
A 38-year-old man was in critical condition Saturday at St. Agnes Medical Center after having undergone surgery during the week to save his leg from the bacterial disease, also known as necrotizing fasciitis.
The name of the man, who is from Trevose, about 20 miles northeast of Philadelphia, was not released.
On Thursday, 17-year-old James Brown of Philadelphia was rushed to a Delaware County hospital for emergency surgery to remove skin damaged by the flesh-eating bacteria. Brown was in critical condition at Crozer-Chester Medical Center on Saturday.
Necrotizing fasciitis infects 500 to 1,500 Americans a year and is fatal in about 30 percent of cases, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
Both victims developed necrotizing fasciitis after being admitted for strep throat, hospital officials said.

Baby Rosa Goes Home

(NORTHRIDGE) -- Baby Rosa is going home to Oxnard after more than a month at Northridge Hospital Medical Center battling the so-called flesh-eating bacteria.
The one-year- old baby underwent oxygen therapy and two skin graft surgeries after being admitted in the beginning of July with the disease. During the first surgery, surgeons used cadaver skin and in the second operation, they used Rosa's own skin which they say has adhered 100-percent.
Rosa Olvera is now drinking regular formula and eating baby food. Hospital officials held a birthday party for her before she left.