- See Point 15 which states clearly that the US is a Corporation
- Cornell University Law School
- TITLE 28
- PART VI
- CHAPTER 176
- SUBCHAPTER A § 3002
- § 3002. Definitions
- As used in this chapter:
- (1) "Counsel for the United States" means-
- (A) a United States attorney, an assistant United
States attorney designated to act on behalf of the United States attorney,
or an attorney with the United States Department of Justice or with a Federal
agency who has litigation authority; and
- (B) any private attorney authorized by contract
made in accordance with section 3718 of title 31 to
conduct litigation for collection of debts on behalf of the United States.
- (2) "Court" means any court created by
the Congress of the United States, excluding the United States Tax Court.
- (3) "Debt" means-
- (A) an amount that is owing to the United States
on account of a direct loan, or loan insured or guaranteed, by the United
- (B) an amount that is owing to the United States
on account of a fee, duty, lease, rent, service, sale of real or personal
property, overpayment, fine, assessment, penalty, restitution, damages,
interest, tax, bail bond forfeiture, reimbursement, recovery of a cost
incurred by the United States, or other source of indebtedness to the United
States, but that is not owing under the terms of a contract originally
entered into by only persons other than the United States;
- and includes any amount owing to the United States for
the benefit of an Indian tribe or individual Indian, but excludes any amount
to which the United States is entitled under section 3011 (a).
- (4) "Debtor" means a person who is liable
for a debt or against whom there is a claim for a debt.
- (5) "Disposable earnings" means that part
of earnings remaining after all deductions required by law have been withheld.
- (6) "Earnings" means compensation paid
or payable for personal services, whether denominated as wages, salary,
commission, bonus, or otherwise, and includes periodic payments pursuant
to a pension or retirement program.
- (7) "Garnishee" means a person (other
than the debtor) who has, or is reasonably thought to have, possession,
custody, or control of any property in which the debtor has a substantial
nonexempt interest, including any obligation due the debtor or to become
due the debtor, and against whom a garnishment under section 3104 or 3205 is
issued by a court.
- (8) "Judgment" means a judgment, order,
or decree entered in favor of the United States in a court and arising
from a civil or criminal proceeding regarding a debt.
- (9) "Nonexempt disposable earnings" means
25 percent of disposable earnings, subject to section 303 of the Consumer
Credit Protection Act.
- (10) "Person" includes a natural person
(including an individual Indian), a corporation, a partnership, an unincorporated
association, a trust, or an estate, or any other public or private entity,
including a State or local government or an Indian tribe.
- (11) "Prejudgment remedy" means the remedy
of attachment, receivership, garnishment, or sequestration authorized by
this chapter to be granted before judgment on the merits of a claim for
- (12) "Property" includes any present or
future interest, whether legal or equitable, in real, personal (including
choses in action), or mixed property, tangible or intangible, vested or
contingent, wherever located and however held (including community property
and property held in trust (including spendthrift and pension trusts)),
- (A) property held in trust by the United States
for the benefit of an Indian tribe or individual Indian; and
- (B) Indian lands subject to restrictions against
alienation imposed by the United States.
- (13) "Security agreement" means an agreement
that creates or provides for a lien.
- (14) "State" means any of the several
States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the
Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, or any territory or possession of
the United States.
- (15) "United States" means-
- (A) a Federal corporation;
- (B) an agency, department, commission, board, or
other entity of the United States; or
- (C) an instrumentality of the United States.
- (16) "United States marshal" means a United
States marshal, a deputy marshal, or an official of the United States Marshals
Service designated under section <http://cfr.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode28/usc_sec_28_00000564----000-.html>564.
- Dr Leonard Coldwell
- Board Certified NMD DNM PHD LCHC CNHP DIP.PHC
- "Life is good today!"