- On 23 January prisoner of conscience HORST MAHLER will
turn 74. Next month he will have spent his first year of a 12-year - and
likely life - sentence in a German prison cell. The following is an appeal
from a comrade sent out on his behalf.
- HORST MAHLER
- Dear Friends,
- On 23 January Germany's most feared political thinker,
Horst Mahler, will be celebrating his 74th birthday. Herr Mahler has been
incarcerated since February 2009 and has thus completed the first year
of his 12-year sentence.
- Mahler is in good spirits and fine health; he speaks
with his wife daily on the phone, and he is teaching Hegelian philosophy
via mail in an attempt to make the thoughts of this great thinker more
accessible to the uninitiated.
- He does, however, feel that many of his friends and supporters
have abandoned him, going about their daily business without consideration
for the enormous sacrifice that he has made, namely when considering his
age, spending possibly the remainder of his life locked up.
- Therefore, I would ask you to write him a card or a letter
letting him know that he is not forgotten, and that the struggle for free
- Please be aware that owing to the severity of his "crime"
his mail is censored. Only letters sent in envelopes that do not exceed
A5 will be given to him. Also, only letters that are free of "thought
crime" will be forwarded to the prisoner!
- You can, of course, write matters of a personal nature.
Horst Mahler is a generous and loving person and would be glad to hear
from you, especially on his birthday!
- Those wishing to support him financially may send him
5-10 Euros in a separate envelope marked: "Verwendungszweck: Sondergeld
- His address is:
- Horst Mahler
- Anton-Saefkow-Allee 22
- D-14772 Brandenburg/Havel
- Thank you very much,
- Markus Haverkamp