- Source: El Heraldo de Chihuahua
- Date: March 27, 2009
- CUAUHTEMOC, Chihuahua --
The Man Bat, who seems to have popped out of some fiction movie, is a real
creature that caused a young student from the local university--and a resident
of La Junta -- to panic. It is a being witnessed by several locals who
have described it as a winged humanoid with a fur-covered face and a height
of 2 meters.
- This all coincides, by the way, with the killings of
sheep by decapitation in several ranches. The young man, a non-smoker,
non-drinker and non-drug user, is called ? and does not want his name in
- And he has not yet recovered from the experience that
evening - Friday, March 6 at 23:50n hours, as he left Universidad Regional
del Norte and headed home to La Junta.
- However, when he reached Puente Sin Nombre, he was forced
to hit the brakes and make an emergency stop. There was a shadowy bulk
on the asphalt, looking like a hunched-over man , perhaps covered by a
- Upon approaching, the still unknown figure rose to its
full height, leaped forward twice, unfurled enormous bat-like wings that
probably covered the width of the lane, and took to the air.
- The young man in question - a serious and outstanding
student in his coursework, didn't think twice. He floored the accelerator
of his Liberty, burning rubber as he tried to flee from the unknown.
- A desperate, fifteen minute chase ensued. The strange
creature flew with the power of its rear wings, which were smaller, keeping
abreast of the vehicle and peering through the passenger window.
- The fear became more intense, and the youngster only
thought to call home via his cell phone. His mother answered the phone,
and she asked why she could hear the noise of a vehicle trying to reach
- His voice broken by tears, the witness tried to describe
that a man, or perhaps a winged animal, was chasing him. His first notion
was that it was an apparition, a shaped assumed by Death, and it prompted
him to scream in despair: "I'm going to die! I'm going to die!"
- He now says that it could have been a hallucination of
sorts, but upon reflecting on the entity that chased him for over 15 minutes,
he feels shivers again. And he says: "No, it was no illusion."
This is the closest brush he has had with fear.
- The description is somewhat vague, but the image haunts
him when he is unable to sleep. A man with red, bloodshot eyes, standing
2 meters tall, judging by the full length of the Liberty. Two pairs of
wings, one large, another small, which allowed it to achieve unimaginable
speed; small kangaroo-like hands that it held loosely and without strength,
which repeatedly struck the glass of the passenger side window. Its face
was covered by some sort of fur, with a protruding dome-shaped forehead
and those bloodshot eyes.
- This creature was seen in the vicinity of Cimbraplay,
near Saenz Guerrero, where several sheep were found dead in recent days
at three different ranches. They had all been slain in the same fashion:
a large cut to the neck and another on part of the tail.
- Another family also claims having seen it in the Mesa
de Gonzalez segment of the road to San Juanito, and provides a similar
description. With regard to that night, the mother says: "I had never
heard him like that, and much less seen him in the state he arrived: shivering,
pale and in the midst of a nervous breakdown."
- The young man is well thought of in his school and it
is said that they are already looking into the presence of this mythic
being. The legend of the Man-Bat of La Junta appears to have been born
- It Appears Again Near the Cemetery
- "I saw the Santa Muerte (Holy Death)." These
words were spoken in the most serene tone that one could have after such
a bitter experience. It was a remark made by Ivonne, and it never left
the household. She shared it with her mother and husband. No one else.
- It wasn't until now that they realize that the entity
matches the description of the Man-Bat seen in the La Junta region, and
which reappeared only days ago at the graveyard gate.
- Ivonne (not her real name) is a young mother who dropped
off a friend in a sector of La Junta after spending time with her at home,
near the new highway to Guerrero. The time was 9:00 at night when she was
coming back along the old road that passes by the cemetery.
- It was at that time that it saw an enormous figure at
the graveyard gate. It resembled a long statue and looked like a person
covered in a blanket or a black cape. She felt a shiver and accelerated
her truck. She thought it was la Santa Muerte and that she was probably
going to die on the road between the graveyard and her home.
- Upon returning, she told her mother and husband what
she'd seen, and said that it was perhaps the Holy Death, but she was very
serene about it, and matters remained at that -- a remark that reemerged
when they read about the first event in El Heraldo, in which a college
student described his traumatic experience.
- The description given in the El Heraldo del Noroeste
article led her to believe that it was the same thing that she'd seen,
and her mother and husband agreed on this.
- Upon visiting the cemetery gate, she noticed that the
creatures height was truly impressive, given that the gate's archway measures
4 meters from the ground, and the witness states that as she drove past,
the [creature's head] nearly touched the top of the gate.
- The college student estimated [the creature's] height
at some 2 meters, based on the fact that when it chased him for 15 kilometers,
its body's length covered the length of the Jeep Liberty he was driving
at the time.
- The Legend of the Man-Bat has continued yielding narratives:
residents of La Junta now say that there is another youngster who also
saw this mysterious, supernatural presence. However, they say that the
impression was such that this fellow is currently hospitalized somewhere
due to a nervous shock. This story has yet to be confirmed.
- More Reports: Creature Seen Trapped In Hail-Proof Netting,
Talk of a Possible Photograph
- A month after the first manifestation or eyewitness account,
in this community and its vicinity, some 40 miles from Cuauhtémoc,
more stories are being told. It appears to be a fear that is becoming widespread
or else a reality that its becoming generalized. Children have also seen
- It is said that in the downtown area two children went
out for a drink of water from the pump in the middle of the back yard.
That's when they saw an enormous bird gliding around. Fear caused them
to return to the house running and panting.
- A young woman claims having heard a noise like the squealing
of a mouse, strange sounds on the roof and the flapping of wings.
- However, an even closer encounter occurred in Huerta
El Rosario, surprisingly close to the first apparition in the vicinity
of Puente Sin Nombre, where a watchman heard sounds he'd never heard before.
- On the ATV he employs to cover the full extent of the
farm, he reached the point where he thought the noises emanated from. What
he saw was simply indescribable and the only command his brain issued at
the time was to flee at full speed. The red-eyed creature was trapped by
the hail-stone preventive netting and was struggling to escape, which it
surely managed to do, as it wasn't there the next morning.
- The story and remarks are the result of paranoia, perhaps,
but everyone is starting to wonder about the existence of a photo that
someone took. At least this is what a Public Safety officer has said, but
he could not be reached to corroborate the story.
- Furthermore, 20 kilometers away, at El Baje or Agua Caliente,
a witness to the impressive flight of this being simply collapsed from
a heart attack. It is said that he is being treated in one of the region's
hospital, but his identity is being concealed for the time being. If found,
he would still be in no condition to discuss his encounter.
- (Translation (c) 2009. S. Corrales, IHU. Special thanks
to El Heraldo de Chihuahua and Ana Luisa Cid)