- Hello Jeff - I have a question. How does the average
American, such as myself, KNOW which foods contain any milk or milk products
from China? How are we supposed to know which companies use such imported
products in the product they produce?
- Next Question: When is the US going to STOP importing
food stuffs from China?
- Let's see if I can answer both questions.
- #1 - We don't know.
- and #2 - Never!
- I have been hearing a lot about 'Change' these days,
so how about 'Change' regarding food imports in the form of produce, meat
and ingredient imports such as milk and milk products from China.
- Time to take China off our dinner plates.
- US Import Alert On China Food
- By Jonathan Beale BBC News (Edited)
- US authorities have issued a nationwide "import
alert" for Chinese-made food products in the wake of the melamine
contamination scandal. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had already
issued an alert warning Americans not to consume Chinese products containing
milk. Thousands of Chinese have been poisoned this year.
- The latest alert goes beyond dairy products to such items
as drinks, sweets, and baby and pet food. It also allows US inspectors
to seize any Chinese products suspected of being contaminated.
- Safety issues
- The earlier restrictions were put in place on diary products
after 4 Chinese children died from kidney failure and thousands more people
fell ill after consuming dairy products laced with melamine, which is normally
used in making plastics and fertiliser.
- The FDA has now added more than a dozen other goods imported
from China, including biscuits, instant coffee and tea products.
- In addition, US officials will be travelling to China
next week for consultations with the Chinese about safety issues. The FDA
is also planning to open three new offices in China to check products intended
for the US market.
- US Issues Melamine Alert On All Chinese Made
- (AFP) -- US authorities Thursday (13 Nov 2008) issued
a nationwide "import alert" for Chinese-made food products for
possible melamine contamination and warned against consuming several products
from China including infant formula. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
said it had an alert in place since 10 Oct 2008 for specific imports containing
milk but that new data indicated that "a countrywide import alert
- The FDA said it would test "a range of protein-containing
products beyond just dairy and dairy-containing products" for contamination
and would "take appropriate regulatory action" if needed. The
import alert covers a range of products including beverages, candy, baby
food and pet foods. It allows inspectors to seize any products suspected
of being contaminated.
- At the same time, the FDA warned against consuming an
infant formula manufactured in China as well as more than a dozen products
including biscuit, instant coffee and tea products.
- At least 4 children have died of kidney failure and 53
000 have fallen ill in China this year after drinking milk or consuming
dairy products laced with melamine, which is usually used in making plastics
and fertilizers. The dairy scandal has expanded worldwide with several
governments recalling or banning Chinese products with milk content.
- In a related matter, the US government said FDA Commissioner
Andrew von Eschenbach and Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt
will travel to China next week "for consultations with their Chinese
counterparts" on safety issues and to open 3 new FDA offices in China.
- The visit is "part of an ongoing strategy to address
the food safety issues in both countries and to share ideas to address
global food safety," a statement from Leavitt's office said.
- "This will include a discussion of the recent outbreak
of foodborne illness in the United States related to fresh produce as well
as the melamine contamination of dairy products in China," the statement
- Communicated by ProMED-mail Rapporteur Mary Marshall
- Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD Bus Admin,
- Tropical Agricultural Economics Univ of
- West Indies Please visit my "Emerging Diseases"
message board at: http://www.emergingdisease.org/phpbb/index.php
- Also my new website: http://drpdoyle.tripod.com/
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health