- Stony Brook University Medical Center researchers
found that the odds of requiring early intervention or special education
services for a developmental disability are nine times as greater for boys
who received the thimerosal containing triple series hepatitis B vaccine.
- Boys who did not receive the vaccine had a lesser chance
of developmental disabilities such as learning challenges, behavioral problems,
autism, speech delays, lower IQ, and functional deficits.
- Thimerosal was contained in the hepatitis B vaccine until
2000 and contains 49.6% mercury (Hg), a recognized neurodevelopmental
toxicant. Studies have correlated prenatal mercury exposure
to poor cognitive performance. Cord blood mercury levels have
also been associated with lower IQ.
- Mercury-induced neurodevelopmental disorders cost 8.7
billion dollars annually in lost productivity alone. Pollution
of the ambient air with mercury from coal fired power plants is associated
with increases in autism.
- Vaccination with the Hepatitis B triple series vaccine
preserved with thimerosal also exposed newborns and infants to mercury.
- Consistent with the higher rate of boys who develop autism, boys
who were vaccinated were also at a higher risk of developmental disabilities
than girls. This was true regardless of whether the girls were
vaccinated or not.
- Researchers have also found that thimerosal-induced cytotoxicity is
associated with depletion of glutathione in human brain cells. Depleted
glutathione has been linked to poor detoxification and environmental illnesses
such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple chemical sensitivity,
autism, gulf war syndrome, cancer, autoimmune disorders, and others.
- Other factors which may influence the chances of developmental
disorders include childhood exposures to other immunizations, whether an
infant was first vaccinated at birth or later, and non-vaccine-related
- The Institute of Medicine cites studies
which do not demonstrate a link between thimerosal containing vaccines
and autism; however, these studies come from population samples in the
United Kingdom (UK), Denmark, and Sweden where universal
vaccination of newborns with the hepatitis B vaccine is not recommended
- The hepatitis B vaccines in United States no
longer contain thimerosal; however, the vaccine given to children in developing
countries does. Additionally, the flu shot that is now recommended
for annual administration to all children under age 18 does contain thimerosal.
- Thimerosal-free versions of the flu shot are available
upon request, though they usually cost more because they come in a single
dose vial. Thimerosal acts as a preservative in multi-dose vials.
- Gallagher & Goodman say, "Children's previous
and potential future exposure to thimerosal remains an important public
health concern. Future research should (1) examine how public health efforts
might better identify harmful exposures and susceptible children; (2) institute
effective protective and quality improvement measures; (3) conduct cost-benefit
analyses that more comprehensively consider the costs and more accurately
assess the risks for the US population of children, especially subpopulations
of susceptible children."
- Parents should be aware that most states offer religious
or philosophical exemption from mandated vaccinations. Despite
this, many doctors, schools, and case workers attempt to bully parents
into vaccinating their children.
- A naturopath in India who refused the polio
vaccine for his 5 year old son, citing the dangers and his alternative
methods of boosting his son's immunity, was recently visited at his home
numerous times by vaccine pushing zealots who claim he must be convinced
of his errant ways.
- Parents cannot allow zealots to decide what is best for
their children. With the epidemic increase in developmental
disabilities that coincides with vaccination, the only real "way"
is to make fully educated and informed decisions after examining both sides
of the equation.
- Gallagher C, Goodman M. Hepatitis B triple
series vaccine and developmental disability in US children aged 19
years. Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry. 2008;90(5):997-1008.
- Gayle Eversole, DHom, PhD, MH, NP, ND
- Founder and Director, <http://leaflady.org/>Creating
Health Institute and <http://simply4health.org/>The Oake
Centre for natural health education
- Creators of <http://simply4health.org/Details_A-X.htm>ADVENTURX,
the original xtreme sports supplement for muscle fatigue
- visit us at <http://naturalhealthnews.blogspot.com/>Natural
- "Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse.
Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." - Nigerian
- P please consider the environment before printing