- During the period of roughly February 1992 to mid 1994,
I was making frequent trips to Moscow, Russia, in the process of starting
a software development joint-venture company with some people from the
Russian scientific community. One of the men in charge on the Russian side
was named V. M.; he had a wife named T.M.
- V. was a level-headed scientist while his wife was rather
deeply committed to the losing Communist cause - a cause she obviously
was not abandoning.
- One evening, during a trip early in 1992, the American
half of our venture were invited to V. & T.'s Moscow flat as we were
about to return to the States. The party went well and we had the normal
- As the evening wore on, T. developed a decidedly rough
anti-American edge - one her husband tried to quietly rein in.
- The bottom line of the tirade she started against the
United States went something like this:
- "You Americans always like to think that you have
the perfect government and your people are always so perfect. Well then,
why haven't you had a woman president by now? You had a chance to vote
for a woman vice-president and you didn't do it."
- The general response went something along the lines that
you don't vote for someone just because of their sex. Besides, you don't
vote for vice-president, but the president and vice-president as a ticket.
- "Well, I think you are going to be surprised when
you get a black president very soon."
- The consensus we expressed was that we didn't think there
was anything innately barring that. The right person at the right time
and sure, America would try to vote for the right person, be he or she
black or not.
- "What if I told you that you will have a black president
very soon and he will be a Communist?"
- The out-of-the-blue remark was met by our stares. She
continued, "Well, you will; and he will be a Communist."
- It was then that the husband unsuccessfully tried to
change the subject; but she was on a roll and would have nothing of it.
One of us asked, "It sounds like you know something we don't know."
- "Yes, it is true. This is not some idle talk. He
is already born and he is educated and being groomed to be president right
now. You will be impressed to know that he has gone to the best schools
of Presidents. He is what you call "Ivy League". You don't believe
me, but he is real and I even know his name. His name is Barack. His mother
is white and American and his father is black from Africa. That's right,
a chocolate baby! And he's going to be your President."
- She became more and more smug as she presented her stream
of detailed knowledge and predictions so matter-of-factly - as though all
were foregone conclusions. "It's all been thought out. His father
is not an American black so he won't have that social slave stigma. He
is intelligent and he is half white and has been raised from the cradle
to be an atheist and a Communist. He's gone to the finest schools. He is
being guided every step of the way and he will be irresistible to America."
- We sat there not knowing what to say. She was obviously
very happy that the Communists were doing this and that it would somehow
be a thumbing of their collective noses at America: they would give us
a black president and he'd be a Communist to boot. She made it quite obvious
that she thought that this was going to breathe new life into world Communism.
From this and other conversations with her, she always asserted that Communism
was far from dead.
- She was full of little details about him that she was
eager to relate. I thought that maybe she was trying to show off that this
truly was a real person and not just hot air.
- She rattled off a complete litany. He was from Hawaii.
He went to school in California. He lived in Chicago. He was soon to be
elected to the legislature. "Have no doubt: he is one of us, a Soviet."
- At one point, she related some sort of San Francisco
connection, but I didn't understand what the point was and don't recall
much about that. I was just left with the notion that she considered the
city to be some sort of a center for their activity here.
- Since I had dabbled in languages, I knew a smattering
of Arabic. I made a comment: "If I remember correctly, 'Barack' comes
from the Arabic word for 'Blessing.' That seems to be an odd name for an
American." She replied quickly, "Yes. It is 'African'",
she insisted, "and he will be a blessing for world Communism. We will
regain our strength and become the number one power in the world."
- She continued with something to the effect that America
was at the same time the great hope and the great obstacle for Communism.
America would have to be converted to Communism and Barack was going to
pave the way.
- So, what does this conversation from 1992 prove?
- Well, it's definitely anecdotal. It doesn't prove that
Obama has had Soviet Communist training nor that he was groomed to be the
first black American president, but it does show one thing that I think
is very important. It shows that Soviet Russian Communists knew of Barack
from a very early date. It also shows that they truly believed among themselves
that he was raised and groomed Communist to pave the way for their future.
This report on Barack came personally to me from one of them long before
America knew he existed.
- Although I had never before heard of him, at the time
of this conversation Obama was 30+ years old and was obviously tested enough
that he was their anticipated rising star.
- Tom Fife