- According to a report carried by The Tokyo Newspaper
on Sept. 5, 2008, Ms. Nermeen Osman, Iraqi Minister of Environment
visited Japan last week to attend a UNEP meeting in Kyoto, said in
an interview : 105 sites have been found contaminated by the DU shells
used during the Iraq War of 2003, and she was to visit Japanese Ministry
of Foreign Affairs and that of Environment to ask for assistance
in decontamination and health measures for residents.
- She also said: Although researches on the DU effects
on human health are still under way, it is clear that there is danger
of damage to human health; cancer incidences have also risen. While
they are taking measures to keep residents from entering the contaminated
areas, they are carrying out works to remove contamination.
- Furthermore, she said: she would like to ask Japan, A-bombed
country, for assistance in treatment of victims, etc.
- (The UNEP meeting in Kyoto was held to assess the advancement
of the UNEP-Japan joint enterprise to recover Mesopotamian Marsh,
which has been damaged severely during the Hussein era and due to use
of landmines and chemical weapons during the recent wars.)
- For your reference, Kazashi