- CHICAGO (AP) - Good hygiene
is the best way to avoid infection from a potentially dangerous drug-resistant
germ called methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA. A new
government report suggests that more 90,000 Americans annually get an invasive
form of the disease, which can be deadly.
- This staph infection sometimes first appears on the skin
as a red, swollen pimple or boil that may be painful or have pus. It can
be spread by close skin-to skin contact or by touching surfaces contaminated
with the germ. (Wash hands every time you come home after being out in
public. - ed)
- The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- * Keep your hands clean by washing thoroughly with
soap and water or using an alcohol-based hand cleaner.
- * Keep cuts and scrapes clean and covered with a
bandage until healed.
- * Avoid contact with other people's wounds or bandages.
- * Avoid sharing personal items such as towels or
- Source: The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- From Dr. Gayle
- Yes, handwashing is one of the very best ways to prevent
infection and the spread of infection. The important thing is to avoid
any soap containing Triclosan. Triclosan does promote S. aureus infection
because it alters the pH or 'acid mantle' naturally occurring on skin,
along with the naturally occurring S. aureus.
- I suggest using pure and natural castile soap. This
is inexpensive and available in most health stores. You can also add pure
essential oils to this soap to make it much more naturally effective for
prevention. Pure essential oils do not become resistant to bacteria.
- Alcohol based hand sanitizers dry the skin and make it
more prone to injury thereby increasing the risk of infection. There is
a new hand sanitizer that is not acohol based. Use natural care products
such as KettleCare (.com) to avoid toxic ingredients used in commercial
lotions and even in some sold as "natural"products.
- If you do have a cut or open sore or wound of the skin
make sure it is washed and rinsed, patted dry (best to use a paper towel), covered
first with a lubricant and then apply a clean bandage. I sugugest
a natural ointment made with comfrey, cayenne or BF&C ointment.
A little dab will do ya. Repeat frequently to assure the wound
stays clean until healed.