- Ad showing 'homosexual' newborn causes stir in Italy
- An ad
campaign to counter discrimination against gays has stirred up passions
in Italy, using a poster that shows a newborn with the word "homosexual"
written on his wristband.
- "Sexual orientation is not a choice," reads
the slogan on the poster that was going up all across the central-northern
Tuscany region and was published in national newspapers Wednesday.
- "Using newborns to make people believe that homosexual
impulses are an innate characteristic is dishonest and a disgrace,"
said Christian Democratic lawmaker Luca Volonte.
- Gay philosopher Gianni Vattimo said the ad was in "bad
taste" and that the slogan was "only partly true."
- Italy's main gay rights association ArciGay, for its
part, praised the initiative, saying homosexuality is an "unchangeable
fact that should be respected."