- Hello, Jeff - I hardly know what to make of the recent
flare-ups of MRSA cases as well as other superbugs like C. Difficile and
- Now an eastern Kentucky school district was faced with
one cinfirmed case of antibiotic resistant staph and plans to shut down
23 of its schools.
- What is the reason for the recent "outbreak"
of MRSA and other superbugs? Are our children so weakened by the vaccines
that they no longer can fight infections?
- KY County Shuts Schools Down To Disinfect
- PIKEVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- An
eastern Kentucky school district with one confirmed case of antibiotic-resistant
staph infection plans to shut down all 23 of its schools Monday, affecting
about 10,300 students, to disinfect the facilities.
- The project will involve disinfecting classrooms, restrooms,
cafeterias, hallways, locker rooms, buses and even external areas such
as playgrounds and sports fields, said Roger Wagner, superintendent of
Pike County schools.
- "We're not closing schools because there's been
a large number of breakouts, but as a preventive measure," Wagner
- One Pike County student was diagnosed with in September
with MRSA, or "methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus."
The bacterial strain can be treated with other antibiotics, but without
treatment it can be deadly.
- The bacteria was blamed for the death of a 17-year-old
Virginia high school senior this month. At least seven students on New
York's Long Island were recently diagnosed with MRSA, as were 10 members
of an athletic team at Iona College in New Rochelle, N.Y. However, a government
report has estimated it may sicken more than 90,000 Americans each year.
- FIND MORE STORIES IN: Kentucky | MRSA | Iona College
- Two weeks ago, students staged a sit-in at the lunch
room of Pike Central High School in effort to get school officials to clean
the school as protection against the bacteria.
- Most abandoned the sit-in after Principal David Rowe
threatened them with a three-day suspension, but 33 stayed and were given
the choice of one day of in-school suspension or two days out-of-school
suspension. Three chose out-of-school suspension.
- Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural Economics
Univ of West Indies Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message board at:
http://www.emergingdisease.org/phpbb/index.php Also my new website:
http://drpdoyle.tripod.com/ Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
Go with God and in Good Health