- Hello Jeff -- Remember the US government and USDA says
chickens from China are just fine. As we know, the Feds have given China
- light to ship 'cooked, packaged' poultry products to
America...with NO country of origin labeling required. How thoughtful.
- Do you think China would have any scruples sending suspected
bird flu infected chickens to US? I don't think so. The US had better
- check the poultry from China very, very closely. Consumers
should stop buying chicken, any chicken.
- China Confirms New Bird Flu Outbreak In Poultry
- Reuters/Shanghai Daily
- China has, according to this story, confirmed an outbreak
of the H5N1 birdflu virus among poulty in the central province of Hunan.
- A Ministry of Agriculture spokesman was cited as telling
the Xinhua news agency that the outbreak was in a village in Yiyang city
in Hunan and it killed 11,172 birds.
- The story goes on to say that China, with millions of
backyard birds and a strained medical system, is seen as key in the fight
against bird flu. The country's last reported human death from bird flu
was in March.
- Hunan authorities have taken steps to contain the outbreak,
culling close to 53,000 other birds. Agriculture officials were cited as
saying that the outbreak has been brought under control. The last reported
cases occurred on March 1, when a batch of chickens suddenly died in a
market in Lhasa, capital of Tibet Autonomous Region.
- Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD
- Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural Economics
- Univ of West Indies
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
- Also my new website:
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health