- On the evening of January 27, 2007 at 8:30 p.m., dozens
of people informed the local media of Yucatán, Mérida of
the presence of unidentified flying objects in the sky, which they described
as having a circular shape with eight surrounding lights, adding that
the object made oscillating movements and that it vanished into the horizon
after a few minutes.
- This sighting was captured on video by Mr. René
Couoh Chacón from the Vicente Solís district, showing the
evidence to reporters from the "Por Esto" newspaper and Mexican
researchers Gustavo Aleman and Prof. Silvestre Leal of the OVNI MERIDA
- According to the witnesses, around 6 p.m. and before
the sighting of the alleged UFO, a kind of shooting star crossed the firmament
from west to east, but it had a rectangular shape and a trail of light.
- Victor Lara Martinez, a reporter for the "Por Esto"
daily, says that one woman interviewed stated that some onlookers heard
the alleged UFO make a noise similar to that of helicopters, although
its shape did not correspond at all to the means of transportation in
- Researchers from OVNI MERIDA are currently analyzing
the video, saying that they wish to ascertain if a UFO or a balloon was
involved, moreover because said community manufactures large "Cantoya"-type
balloons surrounded by luminaries. However, and without dismissing the
possibility a priori, we believe that residents of the town in question
can identify one of those balloons correctly and the sighting would not
have been the cause for such a commotion, one that was even worthy of
mention in the press..
- It should be noted that reports of nocturnal UFOs over
Mexico were received on this same date.
- (translation (c) 2007, S. Corrales, IHU. Special thanks
to Ana Luisa Cid, Gustavo Aleman and Prof. Silvestre Leal)