- On January 5, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, quietly
introduced the Anti-Defamation League's federal hate crimes bill into the
House of Representatives. This is the same hate bill she introduced two
years ago, which was passed by the House in fall 2005. Previously called
The Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act, this freedom-stealing
legislation has been repeatedly defeated, usually as a result of public
outcry and Republican opposition in Conference.
- ADL has dramatically changed the title. It is now The
David Ray Hate Crimes Prevention Act, in memory of a Texan adolescent brutally
sodomized with a metal pipe. Ray replaces Matthew Shephard as the new poster
boy of hate law propaganda. Many in Congress will be inclined to pass this
legislation with their sympathy votes.
- Rep. Lee's office told me that since the House passed
this bill in 2005, it could rapidly pass to the floor for a vote. If there
is strong bipartisan support in Congress for a defunct bill, it can be
resurrected in committee in minutes, by calling for a vote of approval.
- The hate bill enjoys this kind of strong bipartisan support;
it passed the House previously by a large margin. We know for sure that
ADL and Pelosi plan to have it ratified during their "first 100 hours."
- Take Action Now
- Here's what all lovers of free speech must do, preferably
before the weekend:
- 1. Go to our list of "<http://truthtellers.org/subcommitteehatebill.html>Hate
Bill Subcommittee Members." This is the "Subcommittee on Crime,
Terrorism and Homeland Security," the House Judiciary Committee that
will consider this bill.
- 2. Call all members of this committee, including Sheila
Jackson Lee tomorrow and give the following message: "Please don't
vote for the David Ray Hate Crimes Prevention Act, HR 254. Hate crimes
laws such as this have destroyed free speech in Canada and most European
- 3. Send my flyer "Hate Laws Will Make You a Criminal"
to as many of the legislative aides of each of these subcommittee members
- Rep. Lee's office said bills' progress through committee
depends on how much support or criticism they receive. It's time to bury
the hate bill in an avalanche of protest from tens of thousands of Americans!
This is how we defeated the hate bill three times in the last two years.
This is how we can again save free speech for our children, our grandchildren
- Rev. Ted Pike is director of the National Prayer Network,
a Christian conservative watchdog organization.
- TALK SHOW HOSTS: Interview Rev. Ted Pike on the hate
bill threat! Call 503-631-3808.
- Come to video.google.com for a free viewing of Ted Pike's
expose of the hate crimes threat: Hate Laws: Making Criminals of Christians.
- For many more articles explaining the threat of hate
crimes legislation, come to www.truthtellers.org.
- NATIONAL PRAYER NETWORK, P.O. Box 828, Clackamas, OR