- David Irving delivered this speech in Budapest, today
in the afternoon under sunny skies, at the front of approximately 10,000
people at Heroes Square.
- BUDAPEST -- "I
bring you greetings from all the friends of Hungary in my country, England....the Hungarians
who live in England -- and there are many who fled from the first communist
regime in 1956 -- and from all your friends and admirers, and there are
many of these too.
- There is one ugly truth -- and it is a bitter truth --
which links our two great countries: We now both have Prime Ministers who
- One of them, my own Prime Minister, Tony Blair, has so
far still to confess it.
- These are bad times for freedom. Perhaps one day Englishmen
like me will be seeking freedom in Hungary!
- Because the lights of freedom -- the right to think what
we like, to say what we think, and to print and publish what we say --
are slowly dimming as the ugly light of enforced socialism is dawning again.
- I know what I am saying.
- Governments do not like historians, and they like those
of us who write real history even less.
- They prefer the kind of writer they can buy with money,
or bribe with knighthoods and peerages (Sir and Lord).
- You know that something is foul with your own government
when you see it bringing in two-hundred foreign police troops to help it
stay in power.
- You know then that your government is, in real history,
in the hands of a foreign power.
- For all the 400 days that Austria held me in solitary
confinement in prison in Vienna, since you last saw me here -- punished
for an opinion on history that I had expressed sixteen years before --
the British government made no protest.
- We were once a great world power. Some powerful Hungarians
even wanted to have our Lord Rothermere as the next king of Hungary! A
great world power no longer, we have been destroyed by the foreign enemies
- Jack Straw was Britain's foreign minister when Germany
first demanded that I be turned over to them for punishment: he secretly
agreed -- I have seen the documents -- but he could not get his hands on
me because I was in freedom in America...and Straw went to the same school
as I! Some comrade!
- We are now all part of Europe, and one European country
can mistreat any other European country's citizens as it pleases. Petöfi
Sandor must be turning in his grave!
- Several of my good friends, writers like me, are in prison
in Germany right now, and have been for years, because of what they wrote
and believed to be true: I mention today the names only of Ernst Zündel
and Germar Rudolf, the scientist.
- What hypocrisy! In today's world, the system of international
law that was so painstakingly and carefully created for the Nuremberg Trials,
is now in ruins.
- The innocent are in jail.
- The guilty are in the seats of power.
- The electoral system in the democracies has been twisted
and distorted to ensure that the criminals gain office -- not ordinary
criminals like those who walked the prison yard with me in Vienna, but
the mega-criminals in the pay of Big Money and foreign powers.
- Will we ever see them in handcuffs? Don't make me laugh!
- George W. Bush and Tony Blair, the leaders of the USA
and Britain, launched a criminal attack on Iraq in 2003, a few months before
I spoke on the last occasion at this spot.
- Under the rules of Nuremberg, what they did was precisely
the same as what Hitler did from 1938 to 1944: they have attacked countries
for their own purposes, and invented the pretext to justify their actions.
- The world's newspapers and television stations have shamelessly
trotted along beside them, applauding vigorously.
- Shall we ever see Blair and Bush hang for their crimes,
which have caused the Holocaust in Iraq today?
- A Holocaust which has caused the deaths of over 600,000
innocent people, and far more if we leave include those killed by the Sanctions
Campaign which pre- ceded it.
- We shall not see them hang; they even deny that this
Holocaust has occurred!
- Bush says he has only killed 30,000 so far; that is his
best estimate. He and Blair are the REAL Holocaust deniers, not the historians
- Yes, in Washington and London the guilty are in the seats
- Can you tell me that it is any different now in Hungary?
Are the days of Rakosi, Revai, Gerö and Farkas returning?
- You tore the evil out of the heart of your Hungarian
flag then. If the evil returns ...you must tear it out again.
- The world will never forget: You cast the first stone
in 1956 that led to the end of the Soviet Empire of Evil.
- It is for you, the ordinary people of Hungary, to protect
your freedoms, just as you paid for the world's freedom then...with your
- Szabadsag! I leave you with this message, written in
the spirit of Petöfi Sandor:
- "There is one word that is even more important than
freedom--for a country as small as Hungary. And that is Independence!
- "Protect your independence first; otherwise all