- Brace yourself. James Cameron, the man who brought you
'The Titanic' is back with another blockbuster. This time, the ship he's
sinking is Christianity.
- In a new documentary, Producer Cameron and his director,
Simcha Jacobovici, make the starting claim that Jesus wasn't resurrected
--the cornerstone of Christian faith-- and that his burial cave was discovered
near Jerusalem. And, get this, Jesus sired a son with Mary Magdelene.
- No, it's not a re-make of "The Da Vinci Codes'.
It's supposed to be true.
- Let's go back 27 years, when Israeli construction workers
were gouging out the foundations for a new building in the industrial park
in the Talpiyot, a Jerusalem suburb. of Jerusalem. The earth gave way,
revealing a 2,000 year old cave with 10 stone caskets. Archologists were
summoned, and the stone caskets carted away for examination. It took 20
years for experts to decipher the names on the ten tombs. They were: Jesua,
son of Joseph, Mary, Mary, Mathew, Jofa and Judah, son of Jesua.
- Israel's prominent archeologist Professor Amos Kloner
didn't associate the crypt with the New Testament Jesus. His father, after
all, was a humble carpenter who couldn't afford a luxury crypt for his
family. And all were common Jewish names.
- There was also this little inconvenience that a few miles
away, in the old city of Jerusalem, Christians for centuries had been worshipping
the empty tomb of Christ at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. Christ's
resurrection, after all, is the main fou ndation of the faith, proof that
a boy born to a carpenter's wife in a manger is the Son of God.
- But film-makers Cameron and Jacobovici claim to have
amassed evidence through DNA tests, archeological evidence and Biblical
studies, that the 10 coffins belong to Jesus and his family.
- Ever the showman, (Why does this remind me of the impresario
in another movie,"King Kong", whose hubris blinds him to the
dangers of an angry and very large ape?) Cameron is holding a New York
press conference on Monday at which he will reveal three coffins, supposedly
those of Jesus of Nazareth, his mother Mary and Mary Magdalene. News about
the film, which will be shown soon on Discovery Channel, Britain's Channel
4, Canada's Vision, and Israel's Channel 8, has been a hot blog topic in
the Middle East (check out a personal favorite: <http://israelitybites.blogspot.com/>Israelity
Bites) Here in the Holy Land, Biblical Archeology is a dangerous profession.
This 90-minute documentary is bound to outrage Christians and stir up a
titanic debate between believers and skeptics. Stay tuned.
In my opinion it is totally unimportant whether Jesus was GOD's son or
just a human being. GOD sent him anyway. He was a great teacher and a giganic
step forward in the development of humanity. Truly spiritual Buddhists,
Hindus, Muslims and (non talmudic) Jews are talking to the same GOD! After
all we are here to struggle in order to become better human beings. greetings
- For those inclined to actually learn something other
than absolute nonsense, as in the case of this and the other similar articles
debunking the resurrection, I encourage you to read the following by Dr.
Gene Scott of the University Cathedral, who doubted the resurrection and
through reason discovered the undeniable truth of it. http://www.resurrectionism.com/
- Concerning the article entitled, "Jesus: Tales From
- My reaction is, "So what?" Attacking Christians
and Christianity is very fashionable these days. If you attack any other
group, such as Gays, Feminists, Jews, Muslims, people of color, etc., you're
labeled "politically incorrect," "intolerant," "narrow
minded" or "bigoted." But if you attack Christianity, no
problem! Go for it!!
- I'm not talking about an open dialogue based on verifiable
facts, but rather, an assault based on uninformed prejudice, with little
or no real evidence to back it up.
- Why would it take 20 years for archaeologists to deciper
the names on the tombs? A person familiar with ancient Aramaic would have
been able to read them instantly!
- What sort of DNA evidence do Cameron and Jacobovici have?
How do they know that the DNA of the person called Jesua is the same DNA
as the Jesus of the Gospels? Did they acquire a sample of Jesus' DNA from
a time traveler, perhaps?
- This nonsense is an attack against Christianity, thinly
disguised as science, for the purpose of entertaining and deceiving a gullible
public. - RKG
- As a believer in Christ I am surprised by the apprehension
and the concern over the body of Jesus being possibly found and proposed
marriage of Jesus to Mary Magdalena, or even having a child, what difference
does it make anyway? here is my take on this:
- 1- Jesus did live! proven.
- 2- He died and covered the sins of the world with his
- 3- His Soul resurrected from the grave of the flesh just
as ours will and just as he said would happen.
- 4- There is no evidence anywhere in any scripture I can
find that it was necessary for his physical body to resurrect and Jesus
did not teach that either.
- 5- His own apostles didn't even recognize his resurrection
body neither did his possible wife at the tomb since she was the first
one to encounter him and I doubt anyone recognized him.
- 6- If his physical resurrection was important then I
am certain someone would have recognized his new suit right? or wrong/
but they did not.
- 7- so where did the physical body go? WHO CARES! its
irrelevant to a degree, his Soul went to God and it was this temple (spiritual)
that raised from the dead in three days, his physical body was relatively
unimportant in the entire process as far as I am concerned.
- 8- One must look at Moses when he died, God buried him
so man wouldn't worship the body which is what most believers want to do
so is it possible God hid Jesus' physical body himself knowing man would
worship his body and never see the spiritual process of salvation?
- 9-We have the case of the missing body and nothing more,
this was a problem the Catholic church had right from the get-go in the
fourth century, was it possibly necessary for the church to invent the
physical resurrection idea since this had the entire idea of false worship
negated if the body mysteriously disappeared, no matter where it went,
with God or in a secret grave somewhere.
- 10-with this scenereo it wasnt Jesus who deceived anyone
on this account because I dont think he was speaking about his physical
body but the fault rest with the church interpretation of the resurrection
right from the beginning.
- Just a few thoughts on the subject have a nice day!!
- I fail to see why Christians find it so threatening and
conspiratorial every time someone takes a non-religious academic look at
their titular prophet and beliefs. Also, in response to Mr. Raines' comment
- it is clear that his view of such material is viewed through the prism
of belief. However, the fact that it does not agree with his belief system
is hardly reason to brand it nonsense outright, especially when article
he gives as an alternative is clearly biased toward the believer's perspective.
Reply to Larry From Alton Raines
- The physical resurrection of Jesus' actual body is of
- 1. He displayed to Thomas the nail prints in his hands
and put Thomas' hand inside the wound in his side to show him it was truly
his flesh body resurrected, and not another. He even said he was "flesh
and bone" ("Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself:
handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me
have." Luke 24:39)
- 2. There are only two times he was not recognized post-resurrection,
and both times there was a reason why. The first was Mary at the tomb,
her eyes were filled with tears and she was greatly aggitated at the missing
body. It is also very likely that he was standing there partially naked,
as she thought he was the gardener and in those days such workers would
merely gird their loins with a cloth (if even that) rather than dirty their
garments, as only the wealthy had two sets of clothing, and laborers could
rarely afford clothing they could allow to suffer such grime and washing
continually. The other occasion was on the road at night, when two of his
followers were talking and he walked alongside them and talked with them
about the event of the crucifixion, etc. He then ate with them and then
they're eyes were opened to realize it was him and he vanished. Which leads
- 3. There is evidently something about the appearance
of the resurrected form which is qualifiably different (glorified) and
yet fundamentally the same (the scars). OR... in the glorified state, Christ
was able to hide his actual identity or appearance which he apparently
could do even prior to his death and resurrection. There were three occasions
in his life when he was "transfigured" in such a fashion that
people who were after him lost him in a crowd or he was able to evade them
at close range and not be thrown from a cliff or stoned to death. Not to
mention THE transfiguration itself, on the mount.
- 4. The physical body of Jesus was prophesied to be protected
from decay and then to rise on the third day: "My Holy One shall not
see decay," it was written. And also, the importance of the fact that
unlike the criminals with whom he was crucified, his legs were not broken,
also fulfilling a prophecy that no bone in his body would be broken.
- 5. Jesus could not have married and had children because
his seed would have been divine. His flesh body was not of Adam's tainted
seed, but was created by God supernaturally ("A body thou hast prepared
for Me," Hebrews 10:5), conceived by the Holy Spirit. Just as when
fallen angels left their proper abode and state and mated with human women
(Gen 6) producing the awesome giants of that time (Satan's attempt to impersonate
the plan of God for an incarnation and wreck the salvation process), who
knows what the seed of the very Son of God might produce? At the very least,
the beginning of a lineage of people free from Adamic sin. And this he
did, but instead of limiting it to mere flesh, and one family line, he
delivered himself up for all, and was slain once for all, and the eternal
life free from the penalty of the law of sin and death was given to all
mankind by grace, through faith, in Him.
- Laurence Gardner
- In December 2004, four Israelis and a Palestinian (led
by antiques dealer Oded Golan of Tel-Aviv) were indicted by the Israel
State authorities on charges of having run a lucrative forgery ring for
several decades. The Israel Antiquities Authority and the Israeli police
claimed that the defendants had created a series of biblically-related
fakes, some of which had been bought for very high prices and placed in
the prestigious Israel Museum in Jerusalem.
- Since then, numerous well-known items have now been officially
declared as fakes, and among those under current investigation (since it
originated with Oded Golan and features in the ongoing court case) is the
James ossuary. It is fully expected that the Jesus tomb ossuaries (which
have absolutely no archaeological provenance) will also fall into the same
Golan team category.
- It is astonishing to see so many press entries which
relate to 'bones' and/or 'disintegrated bones' in the ossuaries. There
are no bones. There never were any bones. It is a felony under Israel State
law to own or keep ossuaries containing bones or bone residue (even for
museums). Any ossuary unearthed containing bone remnants must be thoroughly
emptied and brushed out, with the items and residue re-buried in precisely
the same location as the discovery. Only after that, and a sanctification
of the site, can the ossuary be removed. We saw on TV back in 1996 that
all of these ossuaries were completely empty and inwardly cleaned. So,
if there are any bone remnants there now, then someone has put them there
for the sake of the documentary and the supposed DNA testing by Simcha
Jacobovici and James Cameron.
Professor Fida Hassnain
- Israel-born Simcha Jacobovici and James Cameron have
prepared a film, claiming that they have found the Tomb of Jesus Christ
and his family, at Talpiot in a suburb of Jerusalem . The basis of their
tall claim is deciphering and reading of the wedge-shaped cuneiform marks
scratched on the ossuaries made of lime mortar. Both of them are not experts
in the science of reading ancient Semitic scripts, like Aramaic, Kharooshti,
Syriac, Siniatic or Arabic. The net result has been that they have jumped
to pool their intentional conclusions.
- I, the author of a Search for the Historical Jesus (www.amazon.
com.) and the Fifth Gospel (www.bluedolphinpub lishing.com) would like
to draw the attention of the archaeologists, historians and the Bible scholars
to the following:
- 1. In March 1980, during construction of a building the
archaeologist found 10 ossuaries and 3 skulls. The skulls and the bones
were buried quickly by the Jewish authorities. As such, all the 10 limestone
empty boxes remained in charge of the Israeli authorities, up till now.
- 2. In 1996, BBC produced a film on these ossuaries, but
it could not incite any reaction, from the academic field. Now in March
2007 the $ 4 million film (Jesus Family Tomb) was shown on Discovery Channel.
- 3. The above would reveal that for the last 27 years
none from the academic world made any claim to have deciphered the name
of Jesus Christ, on any ossuary.
- 4. The ossuary said to belong to Jesus Christ is made
of lime mortar, and given shape into small rectangular box, with imprinted
design and pattern on the top lid only, as detailed below:
- i) An engraved fringe at the sides
- ii) 2 circles bifurcated by a fringe, each containing
6 triangles in the shape of a flower.
- iii) 2 circles divided by 3 strips of s fringe decorated
by 3 small circle each.
- 5. There is no inscription engraved on the 6 sides of
this lime plastered box. It only carry scratches to look like a inscription,
which has been done some time after the manufacture of lime box, by the
use of some sharp-edged iron tool.
- 6. Out of the 10 ossuaries, 6 carry cuneiform scratching
or marks. These cuneiform scratches can be assumed to read as incibed alphabets
from Kharoshti, Aramaic, Hebrew, Syriac and Arabic.
- 7. The claim made by the film makers that the words on
one ossuary can be read as in Aramaic Yeshn bin Yossef is totally rejected
due to the following reasons:
- a) Bin is used by the Arabs, depicting parentage. As
such the relatives of Yeshu or Jesus knew only Aramaic and not Arabic.
- b) It is possible that some a curio dealer has got etched
these words on the lime plaster, for the sake of money.
- c) Jesus was never known as Yeshu, nor his father was
never known as Yossef during their life time.
- d) The so called inscription Yeshu son of Yossef shows
that the alphabets have been altered on the right side, for it shows deeper
inside incised cuts. In fact the last 3 alphabets have been changed in
a crude way by first marking it with ink, then water and then erased with
a sharp edged tool. Thus, it is a mutilated inscription.
- e) On the left, the deep horizontal asterisk mark and
the two dots down side have also been made by the use of water and a steel
- 8. Jesus belonged to a poor family of Nazareth and it
was not possible for his descendants to build a family Tomb in Jerusalem
, far away from the town of his birth.
- 9. Roman Paganism prevailed in Roman Empire ( Palestine
included in it ) till 312 AD. Jesus at the time of his meeting with Paul,
in 36 AD. 6 years after his crucifixion, tells him that the Romans are
persecuting him (Acts 9:3-4). How could the Roman allow Jesus to be buried
in a tomb in Jerusalem , when they were searching him in later years.
- 10. The Jewish brain has exploited archaeology for political
ends to overthrow the Muslim presence from the Temple site in Jerusalem
. It is yet to be proved that the etchings made on the lime ossuaries are
as old as the ossuaries itself. The film maker is a Jew. The question arises
as to why have they waited for 30 years to prove that it is Jesus Christ's
family tomb. There is some political agenda behind this wild claim.
- 11. when the Tomb is supposed to belongs to one family,
then why the inscriptions have been made to appear in Latin in case of
Maria, in Greek in case Mary, and in Aramaic in case of Jesus who lived
in the same period i.e., first century AD.
- 12. My study tells me that the genuine parts of etchings
and scratching pertain to pre-Christ period, sometime between 330-559 B.C.
It will take sometime for me to decipher and read these names.
- Professor Fida Hassnain
(Submitted by Suzanne Olsson)