- I know you are dismayed and disheartened at the results
of last week's election. You're worried that the country is heading toward
a very bad place you don't want it to go. Your 12-year Republican Revolution
has ended with so much yet to do, so many promises left unfulfilled. You
are in a funk, and I understand.
- Well, cheer up, my friends! Do not despair. I have good
news for you. I, and the millions of others who are now in charge with
our Democratic Congress, have a pledge we would like to make to you, a
list of promises that we offer you because we value you as our fellow Americans.
You deserve to know what we plan to do with our newfound power -- and,
to be specific, what we will do to you and for you.
- Thus, here is our Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives:
- Dear Conservatives and Republicans,
- I, and my fellow signatories, hereby make these promises
- 1. We will always respect you for your conservative beliefs.
We will never, ever, call you "unpatriotic" simply because you
disagree with us. In fact, we encourage you to dissent and disagree with
- 2. We will let you marry whomever you want, even when
some of us consider your behavior to be "different" or "immoral."
Who you marry is none of our business. Love and be in love -- it's a wonderful
- 3. We will not spend your grandchildren's money on our
personal whims or to enrich our friends. It's your checkbook, too, and
we will balance it for you.
- 4. When we soon bring our sons and daughters home from
Iraq, we will bring your sons and daughters home, too. They deserve to
live. We promise never to send your kids off to war based on either a mistake
or a lie.
- 5. When we make America the last Western democracy to
have universal health coverage, and all Americans are able to get help
when they fall ill, we promise that you, too, will be able to see a doctor,
regardless of your ability to pay. And when stem cell research delivers
treatments and cures for diseases that affect you and your loved ones,
we'll make sure those advances are available to you and your family, too.
- 6. Even though you have opposed environmental regulation,
when we clean up our air and water, we, the Democratic majority, will let
you, too, breathe the cleaner air and drink the purer water.
- 7. Should a mass murderer ever kill 3,000 people on our
soil, we will devote every single resource to tracking him down and bringing
him to justice. Immediately. We will protect you.
- 8. We will never stick our nose in your bedroom or your
womb. What you do there as consenting adults is your business. We will
continue to count your age from the moment you were born, not the moment
you were conceived.
- 9. We will not take away your hunting guns. If you need
an automatic weapon or a handgun to kill a bird or a deer, then you really
aren't much of a hunter and you should, perhaps, pick up another sport.
We will make our streets and schools as free as we can from these weapons
and we will protect your children just as we would protect ours.
- 10. When we raise the minimum wage, we will pay you --
and your employees -- that new wage, too. When women are finally paid what
men make, we will pay conservative women that wage, too.
- 11. We will respect your religious beliefs, even when
you don't put those beliefs into practice. In fact, we will actively seek
to promote your most radical religious beliefs ("Blessed are the poor,"
"Blessed are the peacemakers," "Love your enemies,"
"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for
a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," and "Whatever you did
for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.").
We will let people in other countries know that God doesn't just bless
America, he blesses everyone. We will discourage religious intolerance
and fanaticism -- starting with the fanaticism here at home, thus setting
a good example for the rest of the world.
- 12. We will not tolerate politicians who are corrupt
and who are bought and paid for by the rich. We will go after any elected
leader who puts him or herself ahead of the people. And we promise you
we will go after the corrupt politicians on our side FIRST. If we fail
to do this, we need you to call us on it. Simply because we are in power
does not give us the right to turn our heads the other way when our party
goes astray. Please perform this important duty as the loyal opposition.
- I promise all of the above to you because this is your
country, too. You are every bit as American as we are. We are all in this
together. We sink or swim as one. Thank you for your years of service to
this country and for giving us the opportunity to see if we can make things
a bit better for our 300 million fellow Americans -- and for the rest of
- Michael Moore
- (Click here to sign the pledge)
- P.S. Please feel free to pass this on.