- U.S. Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), one of the pro-Israel
community's closest friends in the U.S. House of Representatives, was elected
- The secret vote Thursday was one of only two contested
votes for the new leadership of the Democratic Party after it wrested control
of the House from the Republicans in last week's elections.
- Hoyer was challenged by Rep. Jack Murtha (D-Pa.), a former
U.S. Marine who had emerged as one of the toughest critics of the Iraq
- In an unusual move, party leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.),
slated to become speaker, endorsed Murtha.
- Hoyer has made a point of promoting bipartisan support
of Israel, has urged freshmen lawmakers to join the numerous congressional
delegations to Israel he has led, and has isolated Democrats who have been
strongly critical of the Jewish state.
- According to Roll Call, the tally was 149 votes for Hoyer
and 86 for Murtha.
- This is another measure of where this 'new' Congress
is going...straight to Zionist country. Pelosi, a heavyweight zionist
and Israel supporter, nominated Murtha as a RUSE. Perfect misdirection.
Murtha, of course, never had a chance. So, zionists Pelosi, Hoyer and
'no payback' Waxman, and turncoat Conyers guarantee that this will be a