- The first men to walk on the Moon reported seeing a UFO,
a new TV documentary reveals.
- Astronaut Buzz Aldrin, the second man to walk on the
Moon's surface after Neil Armstrong, says space agency bosses covered up
- And the Apollo 11 astronauts were also careful not to
talk about it openly.
- He said: "There was something out there, close enough
to be observed, and what could it be?
- "Now, obviously the three of us weren't going to
blurt out, 'Hey, Houston, we've got something moving alongside of us and
we don't know what it is, you know?
- "Can you tell us what it is?'
- "We weren't about to do that, because we knew that
that those transmissions would be heard by all sorts of people and somebody
might have demanded we turn back because of aliens or whatever the reason
- The documentary, tonight on Five, also reveals that the
astronauts had to repair the lunar module with a ballpoint pen after the
historic landing in July 1969.
- In the cramped conditions, someone's bulky spacesuit
had snapped off a circuit breaker essential for starting up the engine.
- To this day, Aldrin treasures the everyday object that
saved their lives.
- He said: "I used a pen, one of several that we had
on board that didn't have metal on the end, and we used that to push the
circuit breaker in."
- The programme also draws on classified documents made
public for the first time.