Loring AFB UFO Incident -
Ex-Military Serviceman Speaks
Brian Vike - Director
HBCC UFO Research
HBCC UFO Research Note: I would like to extend my many thanks to the person who sent in this report. Also, if other ex-servicemen or women, even family members of the service people have any knowledge about this event. I would be grateful for as much detail as you could possibly could provide to me here at HBCC UFO Research. Please do know that I respect everyone's personal/private information.
Loring AFBUFO Incident -- Many years ago while listening to the Jeff Rense talk show, the discussion about UFOs turned toward the Loring incident which I had knowledge of, and I emailed Rense during the program. I did not see this object, but was directly involved with the aftermath.  What I did not mention on the Rense e-mail was that there was a previous UFO sighting during October of 1974, almost a year exactly to the 1975 incident, though the 1974 sighting by some base personnel did not reach the public. Now as to the 1975 incident I worked at the WSA where some of the activity took place. At most there were about 60 airmen that worked in the secluded and secure area, and the area itself was guarded by about 8 security police (SPs) around the clock.
One morning, myself and 5 others arrived at the gate to the WSA before the rest and I noted something was wrong because all the SPs were waiting for us on the other side of the gate. Usually some were in the guard shack and others were driving around the WSA, upon exchanging our badges, the SP's became notably shaken and somewhat frantic and began telling us of the UFO that hovered over our structures ( Igloo's with weapons inside). The SP who spoke directly to me said this object was of the two pie pan type, glowed an orange color and shone a green beam in a searching type of manner over and around our structures. He also said they radioed their headquarters back on main base and requested permission to fire their M-16's upon a UFO that was hovering over the structures.
This SP's began telling of other events about the object. I stopped him and asked what the headquarters said, he replied that they didn't get an rapid reply, or something to that affect and kept asking for permission to fire upon it. Later he received an order not to fire upon the object unless it performed acts of destruction or damage to anything in the secure area. So he said we had nothing to do but watch this thing. I think I asked him about the guard dogs reaction and he said the dog was going crazy over the ordeal like the rest of them.
During this conversation many other airmen had arrived after us and were also listening to the various accounts from the separate SP's. There were about 20 of us airmen gathered around the guard shack, and we began walking up to our own building. I remember all was quiet until about 3/4 the way up when one of our senior Sergeants said, "they must have seen a UFO last night". I don't know why I remembered that, just a dawning of something that really occurred I suppose. Here's where I get involved sort of. After all the personnel arrived at the WSA that morning, we are all ordered back to main base. This never happened before or afterwards during the year I was there, you have to realize that the WSA was far from the base and to drive all the way out there, and then be ordered back to the base was an unusual occurrence, and all the WSA personnel gathered in a room at our MMS headquarters.
It was very quiet in this room and everyone seemed to more or less be talking softly among themselves, myself and my best friend were sitting in the back of the room ( I was 17 ) and we briefly said to each other or commented to the affect that we thought we were going to war with these aliens, and that someone was to meet with us and tell us what was going on and why we were assembled here. However, truth is stranger then fiction, and after about 10 minutes our squadron commander came out and stood in front of us, and used an angry tone of voice. I had never heard from him before and said the following, "you have not heard anything, you have not seen anything and you will not ever say anything. That is a direct order"! Then he dropped the tone of his voice to a much more casual level, and said something about a helicopter had been seen in the area and was being investigated, geesh. We were ordered back to main base just for this ? You do the math! I've seen deception first hand and I didn't even see the UFO. The odd thing was I probably would have wrote the whole thing off and forgot about it but when we were ordered back to main base, then ordered not to say anything, it reinforced the notion that it was real.
There's a yahoo news group called Loring AFB which has some stuff about the incident there and perhaps some first hand accounts, this is not a UFO related group but perhaps you might find someone to help you with further info. Good luck.
Thank you very much to the gentleman for taking the time to write and give what he knew about this event.
Loring AFB Incident - October 1975 Another Person Speaks Out
Brian Vike - Director
HBCC UFO Research
HBCC UFO Research Note: The photos which are presented here are one aerial photo of the Loring AFB taken in the 1950s and a diagram of the lay out of the base.
Message: Loring AFB Incident - October 1975
To write this, I have to erase from my mind information I have learned over the years about this and go back to that month.  From what I can remember, that month started a month before during Labor Day weekend.  It took me awhile to realize that these two events happened within a short time of each other.  I am quite sure that my memory is right about this, and if not, I apologize.
Labor Day weekend, a family was camping at Baxter State Park, which is in the northern part of Maine.  They were at a campground with other campers there.  They had a son about four or five years old.  He liked to ride his tricycle around the campground.  The neighboring campers watched the child, as did his parents.  Within minutes, he disappeared.  They found his tricycle by the dump and immediately started a search for him.  Nothing.  They searched and searched, not even a piece of cloth.  The Navy's infrared  planes searched, dogs, flyers were sent all over the United States and Canada.  Nothing.  From what I can remember, the Yankee magazine had an article about the disappearance of this child in 1980, the fifth year since his disappearance.  This occupied our minds during September.
My ex-husband was stationed at Loring AFB and debriefed flight crews.  Sometime around the first of October I went out to Base Ops to buy a soda or something.  This was during the evening and the other stores were closed.  We were living on the base, and it was getting dark as I was driving home.  I noticed that every fourth to fifth street was out.  Since this was during the "gas crunch," I thought the base was being conservative.  Sometime within that week or maybe the start of the next week, my ex mentioned something about something "buzzing" the airstrip.  Over the next couple of weeks, the situation escalated.  Rumors were flying, the Bangor Daily News published articles about "lights" over Loring AFB.  Somehow I heard that it was a "helicopter" with no identifying marks on it, flying at night with no lights, and the pilot refused to answer the radio.  It may have been in the Bangor Daily News that the "helicopter" was chased into Canada. 
Panic was starting to spread through the base.  Women were starting to pack and leave.  I don't know if any of them did leave.  Loring AFB was very secluded, hidden in a forest of pine trees.  Couldn't even be seen from the highway that goes from Caribou to Limestone.  During that time, my thoughts were that we could be wiped off the face of the earth and no one would know that we were gone.  I thought it was Russia.  Loring was a dew line base, first strike.  Russia had their missiles aimed at us over the North Pole, as we had our missiles aimed at Russia over the North Pole.  As the situation got worse, my thoughts were, "Why don't they force it down, shoot it down, do something!"
October 31, Halloween.  Over the years I have read and heard differences about the date.  I remember Halloween that year very well.  The base was locked down.  We had to close all of the blinds, no lights on, the base was darkened, no one was allowed to enter or exit the base.  A TV station out of Bangor decided to give us a Halloween treat by showing War of the Worlds, The Betty and Barney Hill Story, and another one I can't or don't want to remember.  I heard the planes that night.  The first time I can remember hearing the planes.  And that is all I can remember of the Loring AFB incident.  It just went away.
After over 30 years, this still haunts me.  How much danger were we in?  In my innocence or whatever, at the time I didn't even realize that there were armed nuclear weapons stored on that base.  Where was our government?  Not even the base commander tried to soothe our fears.  I would really appreciate either an explanation or an apology for the hell that we went through in October 1975.
Additional Information:
Another Thought on Loring AFB
From about September 1976 until May 1977, I worked at an off base NCO club as a cocktail waitress.  The installation was a radar site north of Limestone, Maine.  I worked Friday and Saturday nights.  The bar was open to the military, civilians and Canadians. I believe it was sometime during January or February 1977, a man came into the bar wearing a suit, which was out of place for that type of bar.  He was very obvious.  The bartender nudged me and whispered, "OSI."
What was going on during the mid-70's?
Thank you to the person for the well written report.
Brian Vike, Director HBCC UFO Research Home - Phone 250 845 2189 email: Website: HBCC UFO RESEARCH Newsletter At:
HBCC UFO Research, Box 1091 Houston, British Columbia, Canada - VOJ 1ZO.



This Site Served by TheHostPros