- (AFP) -- Hardline Iranian President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad has taken a fresh swipe at Israel by complaining that Germany
was being exploited by "greedy Zionists" more than 60 years after
World War II.
- "Look at the German people. Three
generations ago, there was a war. But today an intelligent people is still
a hostage of World War II," he said Thursday in a speech carried on
- Germany, he said, "still doesn't
have the right to have independent policies or proper defences."
- "Every German born is indebted to
the arrogant and greedy Zionists," Ahmadinejad said, referring to
German reparations for the Holocaust.
- "When you visit a country, in every
town there is a symbol of national pride," Ahmadinejad said, but added
that in Germany "every town has something saying to the great German
people that their parent and grandparents were murderers."
- The firebrand president has already dismissed
the Holocaust as a "myth" and has also called for Israel to be
"wiped off the map".
- "Sixty years after the war, why
do the Palestinian people have to burn in the crimes of Zionists under
the pretext of the Second World War?" the president said in Zanjan,
situated 300 kilometres (200 miles) west of Tehran.