- Hello, Jeff - As I stated back in January
on the program, this virus outbreak is an extremely serious outbreak and
has far reaching consequences. There have been cases brought back to Europe
from the Indian ocean countries, parts of Africa as well as India.
- The longer that this outbreak rages,
the more chance for the virus to be imported to other countries. Those
countries that have the mosquito vector may see Chikungunya establish itself
within their borders, if not permanently, at the very least, for the duration
of mosquito season.
- Patricia Doyle
- Cities Express India
- Chikungunya hits Pune, 138 cases in Indapur
taluka, 3 villages affected; health officials fear it will spread to more
- Having swept parts of Andhra Pradesh,
Karnataka and Maharahstra, chikungunya, the relatively rare viral fever
with dengue-like symptoms, has reached Pune, with 138 cases being detected
from the villages of Nimgaon, Ketaki and Bhongwadi in Indapur taluka.
- Zilla Parishad officials told Pune Newsline
that it was likely that the disease could infect other areas, like Purandar,
Mulshi, Haveli and Bhor talukas. Last year , several cases of dengue,
which is also a viral disease transmitted by the same group of _Aedes aegypti_
mosquitoes, were reported in Indapur, Baramati and Purandar talukas. Hence,
officials are not ruling out the spread of chikungunya in these areas.
- Chikungunya has already infected various
parts of Maharashtra, including Aurangabad, Latur, Nashik and Akola, and
Pune is the fresh entrant to the list of affected districts in the state.
- Medical experts from the National Institute
of Virology [NIV] in Pune said chikungunya has come from Kyasanur forest
in Karnataka, but it is rarely fatal. Symptoms appear between 4 and 7 days
after the patient has been bitten by the infected mosquito, _Aedes aegypti_.
- A high fever and headache occur, with
significant pains in the joints (ankles and wrists), which can persist
for several weeks. The main preventive measure is to stop the proliferation
of mosquitoes by cleaning up their breeding grounds.
- The health officials have already taken
preventive measures and have urged the villagers to observe one "dry"
day by emptying the water from the containers. They have also instructed
the villagers not to store water for more than 5 days.
- In the last 3 months, the official count
of the affected has climbed to a staggering 1.5 lakh [i.e. 100 000] people,
and health officials concede that figures on the ground may be higher.
Health officials in Delhi said the last outbreak in the country was reported
in 1974. "The virus must have been silent, but it has made a comeback,"
said an official.
- The name chikungunya comes from Swahili
and means "that which bends up," reflecting the physique of the
person suffering from the disease. It occurs principally during the rainy
- 1241 Cases Of Chikungunya Detected
- About 1241 cases of chikungunya disease
have been detected in the district, according to a press note issued by
the district administration.
- A coordination committee meeting of district
officials was held here recently, and it has been decided to carry out
an awareness campaign in the villages in the district.
- A press note issued here on Saturday
[29 Apr 2006] said that 674 cases were reported in Muddebihal taluk, 392
in Sindgi, 91 in Indi, 31 in Basvan Bagewadi and 53 in Bijapur taluks.
- The health officials informed the meeting
that about 49 blood samples were sent to NIV, Pune and NIV, Bangalore for
- Four cases of the disease have been confirmed.
Surveillance committees have been formed at the taluk [an administrative
subdivision] and the district levels, the officials said.
- Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD
- Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural Economics
- Univ of West Indies
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases"
message board at:
- Also my new website:
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health