- Powell's Former Chief of Staff Lawrence
Wilkerson Calls Pre-War Intelligence a 'Hoax on the American People' Tonight
on PBS Program 'NOW' Friday February 3, 12:19 pm ET
- NEW YORK, Feb. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- In an
interview airing tonight on the PBS weekly newsmagazine NOW, Colin Powell's
former Chief of Staff Lawrence Wilkerson makes the startling claim that
much of Powell's landmark speech to the United Nations laying out the Bush
Administration's case for the Iraq war was false.
- "I participated in a hoax on the
American people, the international community, and the United Nations Security
Council," says Wilkerson, who helped prepare the address.
- The NOW report, which airs days before
the third anniversary of Powell's speech, examines the serious doubts that
existed about the key evidence being used by the American government at
the very time Powell's speech was being planned and delivered.
- "I recall vividly the Secretary
of State walking into my office," Wilkerson tells NOW. "He said:
'I wonder what will happen if we put half a million troops on the ground
in Iraq and comb the country from one end to the other and don't find a
single weapon of mass destruction?'" In fact, no weapons of mass destruction
were found in Iraq.
- NOW, hosted by David Brancaccio, airs
Friday nights at
- 8:30 on PBS (check local listings).
- Press Contact - Rick Byrne
- Ph: 212.560.8406
- Email: ByrneR@thirteen.org