- GAZA (Xinhuanet) -- The United
States is considering the possibility of releasing a Jewish spy in return
for the release of jailed Fatah leader Marwan Barghouti, Israeli media
- The website of Israeli Ha'aretz daily said the idea
of exchanging Jonathan Pollard for Barghouti came after international requests
to release Barghouti to race in the Palestinian legislative elections due
on Jan. 25, 2006.
- Barghouti, 46, is serving five life sentences in an
Israeli prison after he was arrested in 2002 during the Israeli Defensive
Shield operation in the West Bank.
- The jailed Fatah leader won an overwhelming victory
in the latest Fatah primaries last month, which prompted several Israeli
political and security leaders to mull over his release.
- Pollard, an American Jewish citizen, has been imprisoned
in the United States since 25 years ago under a life sentence for spying
- Washington has rejected some Israeli and Jewish attempts
to release him. Enditem