- A UFO sighting galvanized the attention of hundreds
of onlookers at noon yesterday, causing commotion in the city's downtown
- It was a point of light that stood out in the blue skies
and moved very slowly. Word spread very quickly that there was a strange
object in the sky and corners becamed filled, in a matter of minutes, with
people straining to see the mysterious point of light that no one could
- The UFO was seen for one hour and experts consulted about
it could not offer an answer to explain what was seen.
- The fact is that it unleashed the curiosity of the passers-by
and there was even a measure of fear, as there were those said this
portent represented the end of the world.
- The clock marked 12:40 in the afternoon, the time at
which employees take their lunch breaks. Office workers wearing ties and
eating ice-cream cones on their way back to work stopped to look. Peddlers,
shopworkers and pedestrians turned their eyes skyward as others pointed
at the zenith.
- Cameraman Mario Castillo managed to photograph
- the UFO seen over San Jose yesterday. Photo
- taken from Avenida Segunda.
- At the busy El Parque soda fountain, Ariel Chavez, a
reporter with DIARIO EXTRA, received the phone call of a girlfriend who
informed him about the sighting. Ariel's journalistic instinct was unleashed
and he abandoned the tasty meat dish he had just ordered, and accompanied
by sports writer "Chico" Sanabria from DIARIO EXTRA-who also
forsook his lunch - left the eatery to look at the sky. It's not that they
wanted to leave without paying - they just wanted to see the famous UFO.
- Even the eatery's owner, Francsico "Pancho"
Flores, went after the journalists to try to get a glimpse of the "flying
- As it turned out, the [sighting] involved three white
lights moving slowly accross the sky, one near San Jose's Parque Central,.
the other by the Jimenez Institute and the last one alongside the old facilities
of Radio Monumental.
- More than one took advantage of the tumulst to steal
the billfolds of the unwary who stared heavenward. This is what happened
to reporter Siliva Nuñez of Prensa Libre, who was relieved of her
wallet. But the pickpocket was not expecting that cameraman Omar Rivera
from Extra TV42 would be on hand. The thief was caught and seized by the
neck, constrained to return the billfold. This is not the first time Silvia's
- While all of this took place, Mario Castillo was able
to take the photo of the object from Avenida Segunda in downtown San Jose.
"It was hard to pin it down. Sometimes one could see [what appeared
to be] reflections," Castillo remarked.
- Many remarks were voiced aloud in the street. People
pointed to the sky and said that it was a "flying saucer" that
had come because the end of the world was at hand. Others said that UFOs
come to Earth in search of something, while others quoted Biblical revelations.
There were also those who were sufficently "eagle-eyed" so say
that it was only a piece of space junk, a star or a satellite.
- In the midst of so many strange comments, many crossed
themselves and thought it best to keep walking.
- The object was discovered because many people have taken
to skywatching after the news programs broadcast images of UFOs filmed
this very same week.
- "I was indeed able to see something in the sky,
but I think it was a satellite. If it was, it would have to fall at some
point. One thing is sure, it was moving all over," said Jerry Bermúdez.
- "We were all witnesses to something, but it couldn't
be a UFO. Must be some space particle," said Rebecca Zeledón.
- "I saw it too -- it was a moving dot. I think it's
a satellite, well, I think so. But it would be fun if it was a UFO,"
observed Mauricio Astorga, the renowned actor who plays "Benito Losetodo"
on Channel 7.
- "Look, we were out shopping and we could see the
white dot in the sky that was a flying saucer...who knows if if it's space
junk," said Jose Luis Cerdas.
- "It wasn't a UFO, well, I think it was space junk,"
decided Abigail Zeledón.
- (Translation (c) 2006, Scott Corrales, Institute of Hispanic
Ufology. Special thanks to Christian Quintero, Planeta UFO)