- Last year, over 120,000 healthy American horses were
slaughtered and they are not old crippled or blind horses. (It is against
federal law to ship a blind or crippled horse). The slaughter industry
will not take old skinny horses. The horses being slaughtered range in
age from six months to thirteen years of age.
- Why Are They Being Slaughtered?
- American horses are being slaughtered in three foreign
owned slaughter houses in Ilinois and Texas. Their meat is being shipped
overseas as a delicacy for the Italians, French, Japanese and other countries
- Polls across America show that 74%-90% of people are
opposed to horses being slaughtered.
- Currently there are bills in the House (HR 503) and Senate
(S 1915) that would ban the slaughter of horses for human consumption and
the transport of horseflesh or live horses out of the country for the purpose
of slaughter. HR 503 currently has 134 cosponsors.
- The Senate version of The American Horse Slaughter Prevention
Act (S1915) was introduced on Wednesday 26, of October and currently has
- Horse slaughter promotes theft, neglect, abuse and lowers
the value of horses in general.
- Tom Durfee and his wife Julia, own and operate The Laughing
Horse Sanctuary a 501(c)3 non-profit equine rescue. They are asking fellow
Americans to help this stop this senseless slaughter of these intelligent
and loving animals.
- You can contact Tom and Julia through this address, telephone
- The Laughing Horse Sanctuary
- 8317 Grassland Drive
- Sandy Level, VA 24161
- Phone 434-927-5298
- Fax 434-927-5534
- Please contact your Congressman and Senators and ask
them to co-sponsor this important legislation to stop this barbaric practice
and slaughter of these horses.
- You can find contract information to contact your Congressmen
- SENATORS: http://www.dldewey.com/senem.htm
- HOUSE of REPRESENTATIVES: http://www.dldewey.com/house.htm
- Additional Information:
- The Animal Welfare Institute has just updated its color
brochure on horse slaughter and copies are ready for distribution. If anyone
is interested in obtaining some to distribute we are providing them for
free. For large orders we do request that shipping fees be covered. Please
contact me for details.
- An insert detailing the American Horse Slaughter Prevention
Act (H.R. 503) and what can be done to help pass this bill is also included.
- Christopher J. Heyde
- Research Associate
- Animal Welfare Institute
- PO Box 3650
- Washington, DC 20027
- Tel: (703) 836-4300
- Fax: (703) 997-1134