- According to a news report by BBS (they call this a "location",
that's a literal translation. I think it's actually a website.) On the
morning of 22nd July, the bird flu is still spreading. This (the spread)
has caused serious disturbances in a YuShu farm to the Northwest of Qinghai.
- Based on information from forums/message boards, it is
understood that on the 12th July, this farm / farming area was discovered
to have many people afflicted with acute pneumonia (i'm not sure if it's
via identification of symptoms or was it actually lab confirmed).
- Following this, authorities entered the area and isolated
the patients. Their whereabouts are unknown. They also forcibly inspected
surrounding areas and isolated those with "abnormal respiratory problems".
- On 18th July, the decision was made to close/quarantine
the area. This was aimed at
- preventing/restricting the movement of people in and
out of the area. This led the residents to "lose control of themselves"
and revolt against the authorities, leading to many casualties.
- To prevent a chain reaction linked to the Tibetan question
(this is a guess, nomads/Tibetans are the words alluded here), on the 20th,
the PLA (Peoples Liberation Army) sent in huge numbers of re-inforcements
to quell the uprising. At the moment, the extent of the disturbances there
is unclear as the area still remains under martial law.
- The following is the extract of the forum/message board
taken by Boxun (Chinese news service).
- Title: Something's Happening
- [Description/Moderator's Comments, possibly]
- (I'm guessing what that was. but the text should go along
the following lines...)
- I finally understand why. Over here in the farming area,
there are people rioting and they've inflicted casualties on the troops.
That farming area is the same one that has been quarantined. I hear the
disturbances were huge, and that's why re-inforcements have been sent.
- "Does anyone know what happened at that farm."
- "Received/Affirmative" (Irrelevant / error
- "Fighting, fighting, fighting, fighting over a bunch
- "The farm - nothing was mentioned about it. Just
closed for no good reason, ostensibly for 'lessons' ('lessons' is my take,
google translates it as exams, if so, it might fit, but i believe that
the literal meaning is that of lessons)"
- "We'd better ignore it. There's nothing to see.
The other forum has already said that it's because of the fighting between
the Tibetans / nomads and the doctors. The troops have been sent to suppress
the disturbances. The farming area (actually, i think farming community
might be a better word) has not been quarantined because of lessons, but
rather its been isolated because of the bird flu. The investigators there
are in fact linked to the arrests that had been made previously."
- Note - The above human translation supports earlier messages
indicating the military is enforcing a mandatory quarantine in Qinhai province
related to the H5N1 bird flu outbreak described in Nature and Science two
weeks ago. Additional information is being withheld by China.
- Now, the quarantine enforcement is being met with resistance
form the local population.
- -- Dr. Henry L. Niman, PhD
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
board at: http://www.clickitnews.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health