- I wondered if there could be an actual chemical causing
the massive obesity epidemic, so did a friend of mine, John Erb.
- He was a research assistant at the University of Waterloo
in Ontario, Canada, and spent years working for the government.
- He made an amazing discovery while going through scientific
journals for a book he was writing called "The Slow Poisoning of America".
- In hundreds of studies around the world, scientists were
creating obese mice and rats to use in diet or diabetes test studies. No
strain of rat or mice is naturally obese, so the scientists have to create
them. They make these morbidly obese creatures by injecting them with MSG
when they are first born. The MSG triples the amount of insulin the pancreas
creates; causing rats (and humans?) to become obese. They even have a title
for the fat rodents they create: "MSG-Treated Rats".
- I was shocked too. I went to my kitchen, checking the
cupboards and the fridge. MSG was in everything: The Campbell's soups,
the Hostess Doritos, the Lays flavoured potato chips, Top Ramen, Betty
Crocker Hamburger Helper, Heinz canned gravy, Swanson frozen prepared meals,
Kraft salad dressings, especially the 'healthy low fat' ones.
- The items that didn't have MSG marked on the product
label had something called ''Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein'', which is just
another name for Monosodium Glutamate.
- It was shocking to see just how many of the foods we
feed our children everyday are filled with this stuff. They hide MSG under
many different names in order to fool those who carefully read the ingredient
list, so they don't catch on. (Other names for MSG: 'Accent' - 'Aginomoto'
- 'Natural Meet Tenderizer', etc) But it didn't stop there. When our family
went out to eat, we started asking at the restaurants what menu items had
- Many employees, even the managers, swore they didn't
use MSG. But when we ask for the ingredient list, which they grudgingly
provided, sure enough MSG and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein were everywhere:
- Burger King
- Taco Bell
- And every restaurant like: TGIF, Chilis', Applebees and
Denny's use MSG in abundance.
- Kentucky Fried Chicken seemed to be the WORST offender:
MSG was in EVERY chicken dish, salad dressing and gravy. No wonder I loved
to eat that coating on the skin, their secret spice was MSG.
- So, why is MSG in so may of the foods we eat?
- Is it a preservative or a vitamin?? Not according to
my friend John. In the book he wrote, an expose of the food additive industry
called "The Slow Poisoning of America" he said that MSG is added
to food for the addictive effect it has on the human body. http://www.spofamerica.com
- Even the propaganda website sponsored by the food manufacturers
lobby group supporting MSG at: http://www.msgfactscom/facts/msgfact12.html
explains that the reason they add it to food is to make people EAT MORE
OF THEIR PRODUCTS.
- A study of the elderly showed that people eat more of
the foods it is added to.The Glutamate Association lobby group says eating
more benefits the elderly, but what does it do to the rest of us? 'Betcha
can't eat just one', takes on a whole new meaning where MSG is concerned!
And we wonder why the nation is overweight?
- The MSG manufacturers themselves admit that it addicts
people to their products. It makes people choose their product over others,
and makes people eat more of it than they would if MSG wasn't added.
- Not only is MSG scientifically proven to cause obesity,
it is an addictive substance! Since its introduction into the American
food supply fifty years ago, MSG has been added in larger and larger doses
to the pre-packaged meals, soups, snacks and fast foods we are tempted
to eat everyday.The FDA has set no limits on how much of it can be added
to food. They claim it's safe to eat in any amount. How can they claim
it safe when there are hundreds of scientific studies with titles like
- 'The monosodium glutamate (MSG) obese rat as a model
for the study of exercise in obesity'. GobattoCA, Mello MA, Souza CT, Ribeiro
IA.Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 2002.
- 'Adrenalectomy abolishes the food-induced hypothalamic
serotonin release in both normal and monosodium glutamate-obese rats'.
Guimaraes RB, Telles MM, Coelho VB, Mori C, Nascimento CM, Ribeiro Brain
Res Bull. 2002 Aug.
- 'Obesity induced by neonatal monosodium glutamate treatment
in spontaneously hypertensive rats: an animal model of multiple risk factors'.
Iwase M, Yamamoto M, Iino K, IchikawaK, Shinohara N, Yoshinari Fujishima
Hypertens Res. 1998 Mar.
- 'Hypothalamic lesion induced by injection of monosodium
glutamate in suckling period and subsequent development of obesity'. Tanaka
K, Shimada M, Nakao K, Kusunoki Exp Neurol. 1978 Oct.
- Yes, that last study was not a typo, it WAS written in
1978. Both the "medical research community" and "food manufacturers"
have known about MSG's side effects for decades! Many more studies mentioned
in John Erb's book link MSG to Diabetes, Migraines and headaches, Autism,
ADHD and even Alzheimer's. But what can we do to stop the food manufactures
from dumping fattening and addictive MSG into our food supply and causing
the obesity epidemic we now see?
- Even as you read this, G. W. Bush and his corporate supporters
are pushing a Bill through Congress called the "Personal Responsibility
in Food Consumption Act" also known as the "Cheeseburger Bill",
this sweeping law bans anyone from suing food manufacturers, sellers and
distributors. Even if it comes out that they purposely added an addictive
chemical to their foods. Read about it for yourself at: http://www.yahoo.com.
The Bill has already been rushed through the House of Representatives,
and is due for the same rubber stamp at Senate level. It is important that
Bush and his corporate supporters get it through before the media lets
everyone know about 'MSG, the intentional Nicotine for food'.
- Several months ago, John Erb took his book and his concerns
to one of the highest government health officials in Canada. While sitting
in the Government office, the official told him "Sure, I know how
bad MSG is, I wouldn't touch the stuff." But this top level government
official refused to tell the public what he knew.
- The big media doesn't want to tell the public either,
fearing legal issues with their advertisers. It seems that the fallout
on fast food industry may hurt their profit margin. The food producers
and restaurants have been addicting us to their products for years, and
now we are paying the price for it. Our children should not be cursed with
obesity caused by an addictive food additive. But what can I do about it?...
I'm just one voice.
- What can I do to stop the poisoning of our children,
while our governments are insuring financial protection for the industry
that is poisoning us.
- This e-mail is going out to everyone I know in an attempt
to tell you the truth that the corporate owned politicians and media won't
tell you. The best way you can help to save yourself and your children
from this drug-induced epidemic, is to forward this email to everyone.
With any luck, it will circle the globe before politicians can pass the
legislation protecting those who are poisoning us. The food industry learned
a lot from the tobacco industry. Imagine if big tobacco had a bill like
this in place before someone blew the whistle on Nicotine?
- If you are one of the few who can still believe that
MSG is good for us, and you don't believe what John Erb has to say, see
for yourself. Go to the National Library of Medicine, at http://www.pubmed.com.
Type in the words "MSG Obese" and read a few of the 115 medical
studies that appear.
- We the public, do not want to be rats in one giant experiment
and we do not approve of food that makes us into a nation of obese, lethargic,
addicted sheep, feeding the food industry's bottom line, while waiting
for the heart transplant, diabetic induced amputation, blindness or other
obesity induced, life threatening disorders. With your help we can put
an end to this poison. Do your part in sending this message out by word
of mouth, e-mail or by distribution of this print-out to all your friends
all over the world and stop this 'Slow Poisoning of Mankind' by the packaged
- Blowing the whistle on MSG is our responsibility, get
the word out.