- The two patients and three suspected cases were admitted
to the Institute of Tropical Diseases in Hanoi capital city from June 18-19.
Currently, the institute is treating 28 people with bird flu symptoms,
of whom 13 have been tested positive to H5N1. <<
- The five new admissions of H5N1 bird flu patients raises
the number of cases admitted this month to an alarming and unprecedented
number of 28 conformed or suspect cases at the Institute of Tropical Diseases.
The timeline on the admissions also suggests that additional cases will
- There were two admissions in the first week of the month,
13 in the second week, and 13 in the third week Prior to the latest 5
admissions, the earlier admissions were from at least 6 provinces in northern
and central Vietnam.
- In addition there is a new confirmed outbreak of H5N1
on a chicken farm in An Khanh commune in Ben Tre province in southern Vietnam.
There have been no reported H5N1 human cases in the south, but the cases
in the north appear to be milder and represent for efficient human to human
transmission based on the large number of newly admitted patients and the
lack of contact with dead birds.
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
board at: http://www.clickitnews.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health