- A sighting of a UFO was made in the 1880s by miners-turned
poachers at Padeswood, near Mold, who were disturbed by a "swirling
ball of smoke with tongues of flame". Richard Holland explains...
- It's a common assumption that the UFO is a modern phenomenon
belonging to the Space Age, but this is not the case.
- Strange lights in the sky have been causing conjecture
- According to Buckley historian James Bentley some striking
coal miners encountered what today we would call a UFO way back in the
1880s. Mr Bentley heard the story from relatives of two of the eye-witnesses.
- It seems that, starved of wages and therefore of food,
a gang of miners dared to risk poaching on land belonging to one of the
- If they had been caught it would have meant eviction,
and possibly transportation which is why the following story was kept under
wraps for so long.
- One dark moonless night the miners crept down to some
fields at Padeswood, near Mold, to collect some snares previously left
- Suddenly they felt tense and afraid, as if someone was
watching them. Glancing up, they saw a large, purplish-red luminous ball
hovering above them! Silently it descended into the next field.
- At first the terrified poachers hid their heads under
their nets but shortly, on feeling a lessening in the tension in the air,
one of their number dared to peer over the hedge.
- A "swirling ball of smoke with small tongues of
flame issuing from the base, was lifting off the ground".
- The men ran home and vowed each other to secrecy. Several
days later the bravest of the bunch returned to collect the gear they had
left behind in their panic.
- There was no sign of the UFO, but where they had seen
it land there was now a wide, black circle of scorched grass...
- Reference: James Bentley and the Clwyd Oral History Project