- Clearwater, FL (LifeNews.com) -- Despite the contention
of Terri Schiavo's estranged husband Michael and courts that have allowed
him to starve her to death, a doctor nominated for the Nobel Prize says
he believes medical therapies are still available that could help Terri
partly recover from her disabled state.
- Dr. William Hammesfahr is an internationally recognized
expert on cases of brain-injured patients. He has been identified in helping
patients with chronic brain injuries from many causes actually leave long
term disability, and return to work.
- Terri Schiavo's injury, hypoxic encephalopathy, is a
type of stroke that he treats every day with success.
- "We, and others I know, have treated many patients
worse than Terri and have seen them regain independence and dignity,"
- "There are many approaches that would help Terri
Schiavo," Dr. Hammesfahr explained. "I know, because I had the
opportunity to personally examine her, her medical records, and her X-rays."
- "It is time to help Terri, instead of just warehousing
her," he added. "She would have benefited from treatment years
ago, but it is not too late to start now."
- This isn't the first time Hammesfahr has discussed Terri's
- Last year, he explained that, after examining Terri,
he believed that she could eventually eat and drink on her own. He also
said he believes Terri would be able to talk and have good use of one arm
and one hand should be given proper rehabilitative treatment.
- Hammesfahr also said he thought Terri would eventually
be able to transfer herself from a wheelchair to a bed.
- "The patient is not in a coma," concluded Hammesfahr
said after observing Terri. "She responds to specific people best.
She tries to please others by doing activities for which she gets verbal
- He says Terri's eyes clearly fixate on her family and
she tries to follow the simple commands her parents give her.
- "She looks at you, she can follow commands,"
- Dr. Hammesfahr was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Medicine
and Physiology in 1999.
- Related web sites -
- Terri Schiavo's parents - http://www.TerrisFight.org
- Hammesfahr Neurological Institute - http://www.hni-online.com