Reply To Seymour Hersh's
'The Coming Wars'

By John McCarthy
The New Yorker Magazine
Kudos to Mr. Hersh for writing this article:
And thanks to the Newyorker for having the courage to publish it!
There is one item barely addressed by Mr. Hersh. It is almost totally overlooked by the talking heads of the White House, the DOD, DIA, CIA and State Department and those broadcasting on CNN from Iraq. You will NEVER see the NSC nor the NSA broach the following subject which is the essence of the dilemma we face in the Middle East. You will never hear the Generals from Iraq discussing the fact that the guerrilla warfare there is alive and well, only that the acts of "insurgents" (sounds like folks from out of town, eh?) who take their toll on whomever is in the way. NOT ONE spokesman from State or the Pentagon or DOD will acknowledge that we are very much involved in a classic Guerrilla War.
The subject is Terror. Not terrorism, banditry, insurrectionist activity, but plain old fashioned unadulterated Terror.
Mao Tse Tung's teachings on and about Guerrilla Warfare, sometimes used in the hushed tones of "Unconventional Warfare", or UW, are in the lesson plans used by the Special Warfare School at Ft. Bragg, NC, and elsewhere.
The First Phase of Guerrilla Warfare is Terror.
It is used to convince the population that the government in power cannot and will not protect the population from terrorist type actions: Bombings, Assassination, Kidnapping, rape pillage and burn, severing lines of communication, destroying the infrastructure of oil and gas services, blowing up bridges, rail yards, churches and mosques. Shooting policemen and blowing up their district stations, assassinating judges, lawyers, school teachers, media representatives, clergy, and indiscriminant targeting of any and all military personnel from all countries involved in the aggressive war against their nation with the use of IED, indiscriminent exploding device.
There is nothing 'indiscriminent" about a command detonated explosive. It is designed to detonate for maximum effect at the appropriate time. An 'indiscriminent' device might very well be detonated by the use of a "time pencil" which allows those who place the explosive to be long gone by the time of detonation; another CIA taught tactic.
That,s a relatively new term for "field expedient demolitions" which are those weapons manufactured and employed by guerrilla forces in Phase One of UW. All these techniques were taught to virtually thousands of mid east citizens in virtually every country, except Israel. These teachings, obviously, have not been forgotten.
During the Sixties and Seventies Special Forces personnel, at the direction of the CIA, traveled from Norway to Pakistan, including most countries in between, and taught the disciplines of UW to the military forces of those nations. These forces were based in Bad Toelz, Germany.
When one officer returning from Lebanon in 1962 wrote to his father, then the Army Chief of Staff at the Pentagon, the good General took his sons' letter, which referenced all the countries visited by fellow Special Forces A-Teams, and gave copies to all members at the next meeting of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The only comment from General Goodpaster was; "I didn't know we had American Forces in all these countries!"
Two days later, SOTFE, Special Operations Task Force Europe, CIA Headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, sent a letter to the Commanding Officer of the 10th Special Forces Group directing him to order Billy Goodpaster NOT to write to has father of any other Special Forces missions in Europe, North Africa and the Middle East.
Unfortunately, this same blatant use of Special Forces by CIA had continued during the war in Vietnam and other countries around the world, without the knowledge or approval of the Pentagon. They were simply not in the loop, an unnecessary burden on the goals of CIA, with and without the knowledge of the Presidents along the way. Some call this Treason in Wartime. Then we also have instances of Rogue CIA activity in blatant violation of Presidential Directives issued during National Security Council meetings that were never to see the light of day.
Those students who were taught UW tactics and the theory of Mao Tse Tung in all the Middle East countries, save Israel, now have the mind set for taking action as Guerrilla Warfare warriors. They learned their lessons well. Is there the distinct possibility that these efforts of decades ago was designed to have a significant cadre of UW oriented forces who would use these tactics to justify the counter-insurgency operations we see today in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere around the world? Perhaps we are giving too much credit to pre-planning that is far beyond the planning of those responsible for directing these efforts of UW orientation of years gone by. If so, then what was the actual purpose for these activites?
Phase One is alive and well in Iraq. Phase One was used by 20,000 Ukrainian Partisans to halt the entire German Army on the Eastern Front from advancing on Moscow. How many assets exist in Iraq to do the same thing?
It is safe to say that at least 10 million are willing and able. There are 25 million more Muslims in neighboring countries to assist their brother Muslims as demanded by the Koran.
It should also be noted that Phase One of Guerrilla Warfare, TERROR, continues throughout the other Phases until the time comes for the tanks to roll through the palace gates as they did in Saigon in April, 1975.
There is absolutely nothing that can be done militarily to stop Phase One of Guerrilla Warfare. The only exception to this rule, and it is not military in essence, is to incarcerate the entire population, the guerrilla's life source. This was successful one time, in Indonesia, when all Chinese, the support of the movement, were interred. That is the only instance where a Guerrilla War was not successful, in all of history.
And it will be many, many years of Phase One activities eventually resulting in our withdrawal as happened in Vietnam.
We taught these tactics to Osama bin Laden, Castro, Noriega, Pinochet, Diem, Marcos and Magsaysay before him, and countless others around the world. We sure know how to pick them, don't we?
My thanks to Seymour Hersh for including me in his book "The Price of Power" and to then Prince, now King Norodom Sihanouk, for including me in his book "My War With The CIA", and thanks to Mr. Charles Morgan, Jr. the author of "One Man-One Voice" whose Chapter 12 of his book is included in the Bio below. Thanks to Mike Ruppert for acknowledging me in his latest, "Crossing The Rubicon".
John McCarthy
President and Chairman of The Board of VERPA
3628 Colonial Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90066
310 397 1143
John McCarthy
Captain U.S. Army Special Forces
To whom it may concern:
Military Assignments.
I joined Special Forces in June, 1960, 77th SFG at Ft. Bragg. On July 1, 1960, the 77th SFG became the 7th SFG, I was assigned to the 10th SFG in December, 1960 due to a shortage of my MOS.
I was trained as an SF radio operator. I qualified for my "3" in April, 1961.
I was then assigned as an Intel Analyst and worked for Sully Fontaine, the 10th SFG S-2, Dan Schubert, EC White and Ed White.
In 1962 I graduated with honors from the 7th Army NCO Academy across the quadrangle of Flint Kaserne and was promoted to E-5.
I attended the 10th SFG Training School in Lengries, Germany and was assigned as an instructor in D Company, working for Ralph Puckett.
My mentors in these early years were Llarkyn Winfred (Rock) Nesom, Pop Grant and DJ Smith.
I assisted in the training of East Germans who came into West Berlin via the tunnel system for reinsertion back into East Germany as agents directed by SOTFE, Special Operations Task Force Europe, CIA Hq in Frankfurt, Germany.
I was then assigned to an A team in B Company of the 10th as the junior radio operator with assignments in France, Greece, and submarine training on the USS Tirante and Tigerone off the island of Crete.
I was on the European Underwater Recovery Team, the nuclear weapons team, and the Mountain Climbing Detachment.
I worked with Displaced Persons such as Jon Novy and others who were the initial cadre in 1953 when the 10th Special Forces Group was moved from Ft. Bragg, NC to Bad Toelz, Germany. Many of our DP's were OSS Veterans and carried cover names. Jon Novy used his real name. He was from Hungary.
I qualified quarterly to maintain my "3", which requires a proficiency in all of the disciplines of Special Forces.
I attended OCS and Ranger School at Ft. Benning in 1964 and was then assigned to the 3rd SFG at Ft. Bragg where I attended the Officers Special Forces Course in 1965. I was then assigned to the 1st SFG in Okinawa and immediately sent TDY to the 5th SFG in Nha Trang, Vietnam and further assigned as the XO of an A Team 415 opening a new SF Camp at Ap Bac and Kinh Quan Hai in 4th Corps, sixty miles West of Saigon in the middle of the Plain of Reeds. Outside artillery range, we were bait.
After returning to Okinawa I completed the UDT School and Submarine training on the USS Tunny, SS 241, where I trained Chinese Nationalists in the art of night infiltration from submarines while submerged and underway. They were later sent into mainland China as agent provocateurs directed by the CIA.
I then trained Nationalist Chinese in the art of High Altitude Low Opening (HALO) night parachuting from 21,500 feet for infiltration into mainland China, as directed by the CIA. I was assigned to Taiwan for these activities.
In June 1967 I on my second voluntary tour in Vietnam and was assigned as the S-3 for Project Omega working for Pappy Lamar in Plei Djereng, Vietnam.
In September of 1967, I was assigned as the Case Officer for Project Cherry of B-57 (Gamma) running black terror and assassination teams. This was a CIA operation run out of the US Embassy in Saigon.
All of these URL's are operable as of this posting.
A two hour interview can be accessed at archived in 2002, show #76
I was carried on the books of the 5th SFG until murder charges were dismissed in Jan 1971, where I was assigned as the S-3 of the Combat Surveillance School at Ft. Huachuca, AZ. I resigned and left the service after 11 years six months and two days of active duty with an Honorable discharge.
I then became a police officer in Miami, Florida.
The Writings Of And About John McCarthy
The Crimes: 1) Treason in Wartime 2) Conspiracy To Obstruct Justice In A Capital Murder Case to Cover Up the Treason
Charles Morgan, Jr. lawyer, retired and living in Northern Florida, wrote a book in 1979 titled "ONE MAN-ONE VOICE".
No longer in print and only available in the reference sections of some major libraries, Chuck Morgan writes about his various challenges while successfully defending the likes of Muhamed Ali, myself and others.
Chapter 12, below, is an example of Chuck's wit and humor. If you have the opportunity to locate this book, I can promise an entertaining experience and wonderment of just how troubled our judicial system is in America.
One Man, One Voice Chapter 12
The following chapter is from a book written by Charles Morgan, Jr., my attorney during the appellate process. This book; One Man, One Voice is a compilation of events surrounding various clients of Mr. Morgan. He successfully represented Muhammad Ali, Howard Levy and others whose Civil Liberties were trashed by the US Government. The book, published in 1979, is out of print, unfortunately. It is not available in the San Francisco Library System, the Phoenix Library System, and there is one copy, sometimes, in the entire Los Angeles Library System in the Reference Section of the Main Library in Beverly Hills. Of note is the quote from Washington Post Reporter Murray Marder. It would take another 21 years to locate National Security Documents showing Treason in War (see below). The publisher was Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
Chapter 12
Captain John J. McCarthy of Special Forces had been tried in secret and sentenced to life for the murder of a "peasant." At Fort Leavenworth he and Howard Levy were subjected to unusual punishment: The army made them cellmates. I could understand the kind of army reasoning which put them together, thinking back to the time I had run away from military school and they had brought me back just to kick me out.
I could also understand the logic in Levy's request that I represent McCarthy. I had been denied access to Levy's low-classified G-2 dossier which held no "national security" secrets. Access to the highly secret transcript in McCarthy's case would undercut any "security risk" argument which the army might make to justify its denial to me of Levy's dossier. If the army refused me "Top Secret" clearance, neither Levy nor McCarthy would be worse off that they already were, and McCarthy would be able to assign that refusal as a deprivation of his right to select counsel of his own choosing.
The prison conference room in which McCarthy and I met was so small that it turned whispers into shouts. We sized each other up. He had pale blue eyes. He was wiry, neat even in fatigues, and of medium height. He talked freely, but he knew more about the charge than the transcript disclosed. If he had killed that "peasant"---and he didn't believe he had---he had done so accidentally, and somewhere that peasant had a service record which would show him to be every bit as skilled and "special" as McCarthy.
In January 1960, on his seventeenth birthday, John McCarthy had enlisted in the army. After he qualified as a paratrooper and finished Special Forces training, he was stationed in Germany. Extraordinarily competent, his expertise included jumping from airplanes at 30,000 feet and opening his parachute 500 feet above ground or water, and, if water, swimming under it.
In October 1964, he completed officer training and was assigned to a Special Forces organization in Okinawa. Next came Vietnam. He returned to Okinawa and from there had a number of short-term assignments. On Taiwan he served on a joint United States---Republic of China team. Later he worked with a group of military men from the Republic of the Philippines. In June 1967, when the army sent Levy to prison, it sent McCarthy to Vietnam as an operations officer. In the early-morning hours after Thanksgiving night--November 24, 1967--McCarthy, who always operated under civilian cover, and a Special Forces sergeant, also dressed as a civilian, went to a "safe house" in Vietnam where "Jimmie," a male Oriental with whom they worked, was quartered. McCarthy told the sergeant, "Go outside and bring Jimmie." According to the unclassified portions of the trial transcript, Jimmie was a Cambodian who belonged to the highly secret Khmer Serie (Free Cambodia). In the wee hours of that November morning, McCarthy, Jimmie, and the sergeant left Saigon on the road to Ho Ngoc Tao in a four-door civilian Datsun. The sergeant drove. Jimmie had been caught possessing documents which jeopardized the security of McCarthy's secret unit. Jimmie at in the front seat center. At his right McCarthy held a 38-caliber Smith and Wesson revolver loosely in his left hand behind the front seat.
As they amiable chatted there was a loud "explosion." The windshield frosted into honeycombed cracks. Jimmie slumped, a hole through his head, blood pouring from his face, dead.
They hid the corpse under a tarpaulin in a six-foot ditch and returned to the detachment compound. McCarthy went to bed. The sergeant reported the incident. The next morning the detachment commander, a non-Special Forces "intelligence officer," placed McCarthy under arrest. After sixty days' confinement at Long Binh jail, known affectionately as LBJ, McCarthy was secretly tried.
His counsel, Captain Stewart P. Davis, stipulated that "Jimmie," known by several other names, including Inchin Hai Lam, was dead. He also agreed that McCarthy was one of the three men in the automobile; that his weapon discharged inside that automobile; that previous to that "Jimmie" was alive, and afterward he was dead. The question for the court-martial was How had Jimmie been killed? Murder? Ambush? Shrapnel? A stray shot? A ricochet from the accidental discharge of McCarthy's.38? Davis said, "[The prosecution] cannot connect Captain McCarthy's weapon and the wound."
Davis looks like the movie-star version of a Special Forces man--solidly built, well tanned, his quiet approach to the law and life belying an ability to withstand pressure. After becoming a paratrooper, he graduated from Washington and Lee's law school and served in the Judge Advocate Generals Corps.
Davis and McCarthy made an excellent defense team. The lawyer liked his client, who insisted he had wanted Jimmie questioned, not killed.
Their problem was the pathologist. He had observed no powder burns on the skin on Jimmie's neck near the wound, and in his expert opinion any weapon larger than a .25 caliber would have produced both a star-shaped wound and a burn visible to the naked eye. Since he found gunpowder within the wound he concluded that the weapon had been held against Jimmie's body. The .38 would have made a larger hold, and a more pronounced gunpowder "tattoo." The pathologist said a weapon of .25 caliber or less had been held against Jimmie's neck. That ruled out an accidental or stray shot, shrapnel or a ricochet. It also ruled out the possibility that a bullet had been fired from outside the Datsun. But the window's on the left side of the automobile had been down, and a motorcycles had pulled away from the "safe house" and headed up the highway immediately before them. Inside the Datsun, McCarthy, his .38 **** in anticipation of hostile fire, had speculated on the mission of the motorcyclist. The sergeant testified that his elbow had been resting on the window frame when the "explosion" occurred. It was then that McCarthy's weapon had fired. Had McCarthy's weapon caused that explosion or had he fired it as a reflex response to another shot?
By saying that the wound could not have been caused by the .38 at close range, the pathologist ruled out answers to these and other questions. Under normal circumstances his testimony would have meant McCarthy could not have committed the crime. But Special Forces men were trained to defy normal circumstances. They were known for their ability to obtain and use small, secret. 25-caliber single-shot devices. So the jury believed that McCarthy had killed Jimmie with a secret 25-caliber weapon, and under that theory, the killing could not have been accidental.
They sentenced him to life and hard labor and recommended clemency. That was normal enough. What was unheard of was their refusal to order a forfeiture of his pay and allowances and his dismissal from the service.
I entered the case on June 10, 1968. It took the Army 229 days to prove me "nationally secure." After my clearance on February 25, 1969, I certified in writing that I had read the statutes which provide for "the willful or negligent divulging of classified information to unauthorized persons" and a "penalty of death or imprisonment for any term of years or for life." In a similar situation, In Muhammad Ali's case, I had refused to accept wiretap logs covered by a secrecy order. That also was an intuitive judgment and, in law as in life, "luck."
In Falls Church, Virginia, I was provided a "secure" secretary for dictation, typing, and clerical work. I couldn't work on certain aspects of the case in Atlanta, for the transcript and other documents couldn't leave the Falls Church office building. Later (on February 8, 1970) in an article in the Washington Post entitled TERMINATED AGENT MAY HAUNT U.S., Murray Marder would write: "[W]hile comparatively obscure, the McCarthy case carries a larger potential for international complications than the celebrated Green Berets case." McCarthy was locked up in the government's prison, but if Marder was right, the secrets McCarthy knew made the government his prisoner. In court papers I urged McCarthy be freed, for he had been deprived of his unqualified constitutional rights to an open and public trial.
Soon after the August 6, 1969 headline in the Atlanta Journal---BERET COLONEL, 7 OTHERS CHARGED IN VIET MURDER---I telephoned the disciplinary barracks. "John, if you haven't told me the truth, if you lied at the trial, if you've said anything up to now that wasn't true, it is time to recant."
I want to know every fact which a client reasonable thinks may have a bearing upon his case. From the beginning McCarthy maintain his innocence, and even if his story seemed irrational to some, he stuck by it---tenaciously. I would cross-examine and attempt to trip him up, and ask him every question I could think of. He remained unshaken and unshakable.
I explained that Special Forces Colonel Robert B. Rheault and the seven other men charged with murder in Vietnam had as much chance of coming to trial as did the CIA or Richard M. Nixon. The desire to cover up, to keep secrets---not from the Communists but from Americans---would guarantee the release of the Special Forces men. If McCarthy had lied at trial and to me, but now came out with the truth, we could tie his case to Rheault's, and the odds would be a hundred to one in favor of his release.
"I'll be *******ed!" came the response. "If my own lawyer won't believe me. I told the truth! I don't give a damn if a rot in here. I didn't kill that man!" When a convict serving a life sentence angers at the sight of a master key to his cell, it's time that he be believed.
On September 29, 1969, the army dismissed the charges against Rheault and company and blamed the cover-up on the CIA's refusal to allow its agents to testify at any trial. Two days later, in the New York Times, the lawyer for a Green Beret, Henry B. Rothblatt, said that Nixon made that decision.
In Washington, Stewart Davis conferred with Colonel Pierre A. Finck, chief of the Wound Ballistics Pathology Branch of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, and widely known as the physician who performed the John F. Kennedy autopsy. Finck told Davis that he was familiar with the McCarthy file and testimony, but he revealed nothing helpful. Neither did the army attorney who directed Davis to the right file, which, however, he could not let Davis see. But he placed the file on the nearby table and left Davis in the room, saying, "There's a Xerox machine down the hall and a sergeant in the next office."
Alone, Davis opened the folder. On top there was a memorandum from the prosecution's pathologist-witness to "Chief, Forensic Pathology Division, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology." "Because of the small size of the wound and the absence of grossly visible powder tattooing I originally testified....that the murder weapon was probably a .22 or .25 caliber weapon."The pathologist went on to write that he had been "mistaken about the weapon." (Date of Memorandum is September 8, 1968---Date of Discovery is March 20, 1970)
Based upon the trial transcript, McCarthy's testimony that he had a .38-caliber pistol, and the driver's description of the sound as deafening, that his ear were ringing, and that he experienced "a temporary loss of hearing", the pathologist had altered his scientific judgment. He wrote, "In conclusion I new think the victim was killed by a single shot from Captain McCarthy's revolver fired several inches away from the back of the neck."
So the accidental firing of the .38 could have killed Jimmie.
Finally, in the secret world of secret cases, we had begun to win. The report of the pathologist also mentioned correspondence with "the Federal Bureau of Investigation regarding a bullet fragment removed from the nasal pharynx from the deceased." This metal was "enclosed in a plastic envelope attached to the FBI report."
When we obtained the report it read, "A tiny particle of quartz was stuck to the surface of the fragment." It also said, "No glass was found." Quartz comes from glass and glass can come from shattered windshields, so we wanted to examine the metal fragment. But the FBI and the army had managed to lose it in the registered mail.
In a Virginia office building, in a hearing open to the public, I argued for the right of public trial. Then the three officers on the Court of Military Review, accompanied by their security adviser, adjourned to a conference room in the bowels of the Pentagon. Outside, soldiers stood guard which I argued from the secret portion of the record.
On October 29, 1970, we won. Based upon the pathologist's altered testimony, the court unanimously ordered the convictions set aside. One judge went further. To him, McCarthy's "record in intelligence and intelligence-related operations, as well as the military skills associated therewith which he has developed," made it in defiance of "logic" that he would have murdered "the victim in the manner developed by the Government at trial and urged upon us during appellate argument." Terming McCarthy a "proven officer, thoroughly trained in intelligence operations, well-disciplined and sensitive to the ramifications of all his actions, not only with regard to the United States but to other political entities whose interests might be affected," that judge said the court should have forbidden a retrial. But that decision rested with Major General W.B. Latta of the army's Strategic Communications Command, under whom McCarthy was then serving.
On January 6, 1971, I met the general at Fort Huachuca, Arizona. He concurred in his staff judge advocates recommendation that a new trial was "not warranted." The charge was dismissed.
Months after John McCarthy honorably left the service, I received an urgent telephone call. He had applied for a job. He told me of the the county personnel officer who had received an FBI report on his status.
"I'm sitting in this man's office and the report at which he's looking says I should be locked in prison. Would you tell him I'm not an escapee or a convicted felon?" I did so, as I marveled at the efficiency and concern of a government which imprisoned together one man who termed its heroes killers, and a hero whom the government termed a killer, then ignored its own pathologists recantation, lost a metal bullet fragment transmitted in its registered mail, and failed to put into its computer the record of the one Green Beret it had certified innocent.
Charles Morgan is retired and living in Northern Florida Stewart Davis is a Judge in Northern Virginia Pierre Finck is retired and living in Switzerland
Just before bedtime I find it appropriate to offer words of wisdom from an unknown author. Every time a hear a challenge to the exposure of Crimes Against Humanity, election fraud, vote manipulation, fabricated evidence to justify an aggressive, preemptive attack on a sovereign country and the diversionary tactic of calling those who expose such arrogance as "conspiracy theorists", I look up from my desk to see the following:



This Site Served by TheHostPros