- Syria has accused Israel of trying to kill a senior Palestinian
militant in a car-bombing in the Syrian capital, Damascus.
- Two people were wounded in the blast.
- Witnesses say the bomb was planted under the driver's
seat of the car and exploded just moments after the Hamas member and his
daughter got out of the vehicle.
- The blast was so strong it blew in the windows of a house
in the Mazze neighbourhood of Damascus.
- A passer-by and a local resident were hurt by flying
glass and shrapnel.
- The Syrian Government is blaming the Israeli spy agency,
Mossad, for the bombing.
- Three months ago a senior Hamas leader was killed by
a car bomb in Damascus which is believed to have been planted by Israeli
- The blast comes days after PLO chairman Mahmoud Abbas
and Palestinian officials held landmark talks in Damascus, in a bid to
patch up strained ties with Syria and Damascus-based Palestinian opposition
groups such as Hamas.