Big Triangle Over NY -
I Taught I Taw A Putty Tat...
By Jim Mortellaro <>

... but it was a UFO.
At about 5:15 EST, 12-8-00, last evening, I was on the cell phone with my wife, on the Bronx River Parkway, approaching the NYC line from Westchester County. I was on the way to my barber of nearly 35 years. I still go there for a hair cut.
Just the one hair. But he can do it so well that it looks like I got three or four hairs when he's finished. Not like Mr. Rense. No, he's got lotsa hair but do your think he would share some with us?
Anyway, I was not on substances, not being abused except in my fantasies (by Pia Zadora) and not drinking, smoking, snorting or anything else. I was merely driving along, talking with my better half on my microwave brain warmer.
Suddenly, in the middle of a sentence, the overhead lights (on my side of the parkway only) blinked out. Now, a small interjection here, if it please the court. All my life, from an early age, overhead lights suddenly blink out on me. Remember the scene in "Bell, Book and Candle" where Jack Lemmon (the wizard) was able to wink out street lights? Well, I don't wink them out, they just go out. And my wife of nearly 33 years can testify to that, having witnessed it often. I explained to here that it happened again and I got that "feeling"...the one which I define as "high strangeness" and which usually precedes something anomalous.
As I told my wife about the lights she said, "Just as you said that, the lights here blinked but did not go out!" As I was about 20 miles south of Harstdale, where one of our homes is, I figgered one thing had nuttin' to do wit the udda. I was later to find that it did.
Anyway, I got off the BRP at E 233rd St. The exit put me on a southerly route for less than a block, but I never got onto that southbound street to E 233rd. I simply pulled off on the side of the exit ramp, onto the grass and gawked at the sky immediately above the famous and huge Woodlawn Cemetery.
Because...hovering above the cemetery, not more than 500 feet over it, was a series of lights. This aggregation of lights moved ever so slightly, but just enough for me to gauge the approximate height and the approximate distance from me, which I estimated to be about 1,000 feet.
As I said, I had one of "those" feelings which come over us when something which we "know" is not normal happens. That excited feeling is sometimes accompanied by fear, sometimes by a tension, which I cannot explain. Of course, I told wife Rosemarie what I was seeing and the first sentence out of my mouth was "I am looking at a UFO." I just knew it. I KNEW it.
As I shut down the engine and everything except the cellphone, I opened the windows and the sun roof. All the windows. There was not a sound except that of the idling engines of the few cars waiting for traffic to pass so they could get off the ramp onto the southbound road. Not a sound.
Rosie told me to hang up and call ... and proceeded to name everyone from the police to the news agencies. Having been through that route in 1998, I decided against that suggestion and told Rosie to stay with me while I looked for the Camcorder which wasn't there, of course, nor was the digital camera. All home. Stupid me. That's the last time I do that.
I proceeded to tell Rosie everything I was seeing. Just when I told her it was hovering and not moving, it started to move in an easterly direction. It then approached me head-on, which put it in an extremely slow, nearly hovering, south by southeast direction, coming right at me.
I looked for form but could discern none, just the lights. It had a hugely bright white light shining straight ahead of it on one side (the side facing east) and a bright and unusual red color amidships, with a strobing red light (rather bright) at the opposite end to the white one. In between, there were small lights which looked like stars and moved with the craft...but not in synchronization with it. These multiple small whiteish lights moved with a mind of their own.
Another side bar. As an engineer and marketing genius, I worked alongside the runways of Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation, the AVX Coproration (which butted the airport at Myrtle Beach, SC - a civilian and military airport shared) and have seen many if not most everything which flies. Nothing like the pattern of navigation lights I saw last night (or in 1998) was I seeing now. Even the colors were off.
It continued to move directly toward me and when it came within an estimated 500 feet away and maybe as much above, it stopped dead. And without turning its fuselage, it sped off in a westerly direction. This would have placed it over the center of the cemetery in an instant.
I then headed off the grass with lights flashing and siren going full blast (I am a member of the NYS Police reserves) and followed the item up E 233rd St, heading west myself. But it was gone. I went around and through that cemetery and saw not a bloody thing.
Now back to the cop stuff and the radios and lights and everything. I am not supposed to use the lights or siren or even the radios unless I am duty-bound or in an emergency. At that point, I couldn't care less.
I called Troop (never mind which one) in Blankety Blank County and told them what happened, what I saw. They got back to me by radio after five minutes and told me their phones in the northern section of the county (we are talking 70 miles at the minimum and less than ten minutes from the original sighting) were ringing off the hook in two different Troop barracks up there.
People who've lived there for many years, people with education, money and who are known to their communities as solid citizens, were reporting a huge, triangular UFO hovering and darting over the many lakes up in that part of New York State.
When I got up this morning and called my Troop, called the news agencies and called the local police at NYPD, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Bronxille (where I know ALL the cops and the chief), Scarsdale, Hartsdale, White Plaines, Hawthorn, Greenburg and all the local agencies in the North, including other State Police Barracks, I was told that...nothing...was...reported. But last night, the State Cops were on the radio with ME telling me their phones were ringing off the hook.
The Gannett Newspaper people (at their equivelent of the City Desk) suggested I seek psychiatric help, in not so many words.
Later last evening on arriving in Hartsdale (I never got that one hair cut, ...I never even made it to the barber), I heard a news report that Con Ed reported feeder cable problems in Westchester County which caused some power interruptions and power failures. There was no reason given for the anomalies, and several locations were affected. This was reported by WCBS radio (AM) at 880 KHz.
And the beat goes on.
Oh, and did I forget to tell you that I also called the FAA on Long Island? I did. And the last time I did that I was laughed at in a most unseemly and embarrassing manner. Guess what happened this time?
You are allowed only one guess.
Thank you for having confidence in me.
Jim Mortellaro, although I am about to change my name to John Smith. Or maybe Fill Class. Nah, I think I'll change my name to Swamp Gas, M. (for methane) Pelican, from the planet Venus.
*Even though I like to kid around, this *IS* a completely true story. It happened last evening, December 8, 2000.

From Vanessa
Dear Jim,
I want to thank you for coming forward and saying something regardless of the price. I am a nobody, really; tho I had an encounter four years ago and a phrase in your story hit home as when I looked above me I knew that this was an ET ship. I KNEW IT. And so often I use that same phrase and when I read it, chills ran down my back and Im going, this guy really did see this ship because when you really see one, you just doubts.
Give your wife Rosie a hug for me and tell her thank you too; some of the things Ive gone thru as a result of sharing my story (including death threats) are phenomenal. It changed my life forever.
God Bless you and yours,
This Site Served by TheHostPros