- New expedition has already set off for Evenkia last Friday
in order to solve the mystery behind the popular phenomenon known as Tungus
- Scientists are hoping to find material evidences disproving
the main version of the events which took place almost a hundred years
ago. Officially, on June 30th 1908 a huge meteorite descended from the
sky and shook taiga, reports RIA "Novosti".
- "We intend to uncover evidences that will prove
the fact that it was not a meteorite that rammed the Earth, but a UFO,"
stated the team"s supervisor Yuri Labvin to journalists. Yuri Labvin
has been heading the public fund dedicated to studying the Tungus cosmic
- Armed with metal detectors and other innovative gadgets,
members of the expedition (14) plan to inspect taiga near the Poligus village
as well as surrounding area by the river Podkamennaya Tunguska.
- The scouting area is situated in approximately 500 kilometers
to the West from the place where previous scientific expeditions used to
search for the traces of the fallen meteorite.
- Labvin also stated that according to space photography
of this region of Evenkia, the area is full of "metal traces"
which could in fact have something to do with the "man-caused catastrophe
which took place 100 years ago." The expedition is scheduled to return
back to Krasnoyarsk on August 5th.
- - Translated by: Anna Ossipova
- L1999-2002 "PRAVDA.Ru".