- CAIRO (IslamOnline.net) -
The rape ordeal she suffered at the hands of US soldiers, both males and
females, in the notorious Abu Gharib prison will continue to haunt Nadia
for the rest of her life.
- Though freed now, she is "imprisoned" in painful
memories that left her psychologically and physically scarred, paying the
price of the brutality and sadism of her American jailers.
- Nadia, the name given by a freed Iraqi female prisoner
to Al-Wasat, a weekly supplement of the respectable London-based Al-Hayat
newspaper, felt it incumbent upon herself to speak out and expose the less-talked-about
abuse of female prisoners in US-run detention camps across Iraq.
- Her visit to a relative ended up in her detention by
American troops, who stormed the home under the preferable excuse of "searching
- "I tried in vain to convince the impeded interpreter
I was a guest, but I lost consciousness to find myself later in a dingy
dark cell all by myself," Nadia recalled.
- With tears rolling down her cheeks, she told the paper
how she was stripped by her "liberators" of the most precious
thing an Arab and Muslim women can have: Her virginity.
- "A thrill of fear ran through me when I saw US soldiers
laughing hysterically with a female solider telling me mockingly in an
Arabic accent I never heard about female arms dealer in Iraq,," Nadia
- "As I tried hard to explain to her that I was wrongly
rounded up, the female soldier started accosting and kicking me with my
cries and pleas falling on dead ears."
- She went on: "She gave me a cup of water and no
sooner had I started sipping it than I went into a deep trance to find
myself later naked and raped."
- Like Animals
- Only then Nadia realized that hard times and an uncertain
fate were lying ahead.
- And days proved her right. The other day, five soldiers
fondled and raped her one after another in a distasteful sex orgy on the
tunes of culturally offensive heavy metal music.
- "One month later, a soldier showed up and told me
in broken Arabic to take a shower. And before finishing my bath, he kicked
the door open. I slapped him but he raped me like animals and called two
of his colleagues, who forced me to have sex with them for up to 10 times,"
- "Four months later, the female soldier came along
with four male soldiers with a digital camera. She stripped me naked and
started fondling me as if she was a man while her male colleagues broke
into laughter and started taking photos.
- "Reluctant as I was, she fired four shots close
to my head and threatened to kill me if I resist. Then, four soldiers raped
me sadistically and I lost conscience. Later, she forced me to watch a
clip of my raping, saying bluntly: Your were born to give us pleasure,."
- Naida was set free from the US hell in Abu Gharib after
spending up to six months there.
- The American soldiers dumped her along the highway of
Abu Gharib and gave her a meager of 10,000 dinars to "start a new
- Too ashamed to return home, she now works as a housemaid
for an Iraqi family.
- Britain,s mass-circulation The Guardian revealed on May
12 that US soldiers in Iraq have sexually humiliated and abused several
Iraqi female detainees in Abu Gharib.
- In its May 10-17 issue, the Newsweek said that yet-unreleased
Abu Gharib abuse photos "include an American soldier having sex with
a female Iraqi detainee and American soldiers watching Iraqis have sex
- The Iraqi abuse scandal exploded onto the world stage
on April 29 after the CBS news network published several shocking photos
of Iraqi detainees tortured and sexually abused by US soldiers.
- In a damning report presented to the administration in
February, before the outbreak of the scandal, US Major General Antonio
Taguba found numerous "sadistic, blatant and wanton criminal abuses"
at the prison complex.