- I wondered if there could be an actual chemical causing
the massive obesity epidemic, so did a friend of mine, John Erb. He was
a research assistant at the University of Waterloo, and spent years working
for the government.
- He made an amazing discovery while going through scientific
journals for a book he was writing called The Slow Poisoning of America.
In hundreds of studies around the world, scientists were creating obese
mice and rats to use in diet or diabetes test studies.
- No strain of rat or mice is naturally obese, so the scientists
have to create them. They make these morbidly obese creatures by injecting
them with a chemical when they are first born. The MSG triples the amount
of insulin the pancreas creates, causing rats (and humans?) to become obese
They even have a title for the race of fat rodents they create: "MSG-Treated
- I was shocked too. I went to my kitchen, checking the
cupboards and the fridge.
- MSG was in everything! The Campbell's soups, the Hostess
Doritos, the Lays flavored potato chips, Top Ramen, Betty Crocker Hamburger
Helper, Heinz canned gravy, Swanson frozen prepared meals, Kraft salad
dressings, especially the 'healthy low fat' ones. The items that didn't
have MSG had something called Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, which is just
another name for Monosodium Glutamate. It was shocking to see just how
many of the foods we feed our children everyday are filled with this stuff.
They hide MSG under many different names in order to fool those who catch
- But it didn't stop there. When our family went out to
eat, we started asking at the restaurants what menu items had MSG. Many
employees, even the managers, swore they didn't use MSG. But when we ask
for the ingredient list, which they grudgingly provided, sure enough MSG
and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein were everywhere. Burger King, McDonalds,
Wendy's, Taco Bell, every restaurant, even the sit down ones like TGIF,
Chilis', Applebees and Denny's use MSG in abundance. Kentucky Fried Chicken
seemed to be the WORST offender: MSG was in every chicken dish, salad dressing
and gravy. No wonder I loved to eat that coating on the skin, their secret
spice was MSG!
- So why is MSG in so may of the foods we eat? Is it a
preservative or a vitamin?
- Not according to my friend John. In the book he wrote,
an expose of the food additive industry called The Slow Poisoning of America,
(www.spofamerica.com ), he said that MSG is added to food for the addictive
effect it has on the human body.
- Even the propaganda website sponsored by the food manufacturers
lobby group supporting MSG at http://www.msgfacts.com/facts/msgfact12.html
explains that the reason they add it to food is to make people eat more.
A study of elderly people showed that people eat more of the foods that
it is added to. The Glutamate Association lobby group says eating more
benefits the elderly, but what does it do to the rest of us?
- 'Betcha can't eat just one', takes on a whole new meaning
where MSG is concerned!
- And we wonder why the nation is overweight? The MSG manufacturers
themselves admit that it addicts people to their products. It makes people
choose their product over others, and makes people eat more of it than
they would if MSG wasn't added.
- Not only is MSG scientifically proven to cause obesity,
it is an addictive substance: NICOTINE for FOOD!
- Since its introduction into the American food supply
fifty years ago, MSG has been added in larger and larger doses to the prepackaged
meals, soups, snacks and fast foods we are tempted to eat everyday.
- The FDA has set no limits on how much of it can be added
to food. They claim it's safe to eat in any amount.
- How can they claim it is safe when there are hundreds
of scientific studies with titles like these?
- The monosodium glutamate (MSG) obese rat as a model for
the study of exercise in obesity. Gobatto CA, Mello MA, Souza CT, Ribeiro
IA. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 2002
- Adrenalectomy abolishes the food-induced hypothalamic
serotonin release in both normal and monosodium glutamate-obese rats. Guimaraes
RB, Telles MM, Coelho VB, Mori RC, Nascimento CM, Ribeiro Brain Res Bull.
- Obesity induced by neonatal monosodium glutamate treatment
in spontaneously hypertensive rats: an animal model of multiple risk factors.
Iwase M, Yamamoto M, Iino K, Ichikawa K, Shinohara N, Yoshinari Fujishima
- Hypertens Res. 1998 Mar
- Hypothalamic lesion induced by injection of monosodium
glutamate in suckling period and subsequent development of obesity. Tanaka
K, Shimada M, Nakao K, Kusunoki Exp Neurol. 1978 Oct
- Yes, that last study was not a typo, it WAS written in
1978. Both the medical research community and food "manufaturers"
have known MSG's side effects for decades!
- Many more studies mentioned in John Erb's book link MSG
- Migraines and headaches, Autism, ADHD and even Alzheimer's.
- But what can we do to stop the food manufactures from
dumping fattening and addictive MSG into our food supply and causing the
obesity epidemic we now see?
- Even as you read this, George W. Bush and his corporate
supporters are pushing a Bill through Congress. Called the "Personal
Responsibility in Food Consumption Act" also known as the "Cheeseburger
Bill", this sweeping law bans anyone from suing food manufacturers,
sellers and distributors. Even if it comes out that they purposely added
an addictive chemical to their foods. Read about it for yourself at: http://www.yahoo.com.http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
- The Bill has already been rushed through the House of
Representatives, and is due for the same rubber stamp at Senate level.
It is important that Bush and his corporate supporters get it through before
the media lets everyone know about MSG, the intentional Nicotine for food.
- Several months ago, John Erb took his book and his concerns
to one of the highest government health officials in Canada. While sitting
in the Government office, the official told him "Sure I know how bad
MSG is, I wouldn't touch the stuff!" But this top level government
official refused to tell the public what he knew.
- The big media doesn't want to tell the public either,
fearing legal issues with their advertisers. It seems that the fallout
on the fast food industry may hurt their profit margin.
- So what do we do?
- The food producers and restaurants have been addicting
us to their products for years, and now we are paying the price for it.
- Our children should not be cursed with obesity caused
by an addictive food additive.
- But what can I do about it? I'm just one voice, what
can I do to stop the poisoning of our children, while guys like Bush are
insuring financial protection for the industry that is poisoning us.
- I for one am doing something about it.
- I am sending this email out to everyone I know in an
attempt to show you the truth that the corporate owned politicians and
media won't tell you.
- The best way you can help save yourself and your children
from this drug-induced epidemic, is to forward this email to everyone.
With any luck, it will circle the globe before Bush can pass the Bill protecting
those who poisoned us.
- The food industry learned a lot from the tobacco industry.
Imagine if big tobacco had a bill like this in place before someone blew
the whistle on Nicotine?
- Blow the whistle on MSG.
- If you are one of the few who can still believe that
MSG is good for us, and you don't believe what John Erb has to say, see
for yourself. Go to the National Library of Medicine, at www.pubmed.com
- http://www.pubmed.com . Type in the words "MSG Obese",
and read a few of the 115 medical studies that appear.
- We do not want to be rats in one giant experiment, and
we do not approve of food that makes us into a nation of obese, lethargic,
addicted sheep, waiting for the slaughter.
- With your help we can put an end to this, and stop the
Slow Poisoning of America. Let's save our children